Beginners and Beyond

Planning vacations around races (Read 108 times)

Don't call me Buttercup!

This fall, I'm going to Vermont to run a race and hang out with some awesome freaking people.  So there's a vacation with a race in it. =)  Also, in the spring I'm taking my husband (ok, he's taking ME) to New Orleans so I can run a race and we can have a little vacation without the kids.   So ...... yes.  Yes, is the answer to your question. LOL

Slow and steady wins the....  wait a second! I've been lied to! 

happylily

Can't we all just agree on ONE destination race, on the same date, so that we can meet all at once, once and for all? Big grin

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

B-Plus

I have gone to places just for races, and I have also made mini-vacations, and even a month long vacation out of a race. If I do just go for the race, then I consider the race the actual sightseeing for the trip and then get out of Dodge.

Docket_Rocket

Unless your husband books a walking tour for the day post marathon.  That was fun!

Recovering from a race seems like a good vacation strategy.  My first race, the Mayors Marathon in Anchorage, I went Halibut fishing in Seward the next day, and visited Talkeetna for 3 days after.  If your spouse isn't into race day spectating, They can do what they want on that day that isn't YOUR thing.

Since then my racing has been close to home trail racing where an overnight camping trip was the accommodations.

Truth be told a little DOMS kinda helps me gear down and relax. The night after the race is usually a time of high emotion and party atmosphere.

But I'd probably find something out of race city central to vacation at so you aren't competing with everyone else who had the same idea.

The race is one persons "thing" so the Vacation has to focus on the other half's interests.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Mostly harmless

Can't we all just agree on ONE destination race, on the same date, so that we can meet all at once, once and for all? Big grin

It would have to be Boston because that is the biggest running nerd race in the world.  Yes, that's right, I just called all of you running nerds. Got a problem with that?

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

Just B.S.

It would have to be Boston because that is the biggest running nerd race in the world.  Yes, that's right, I just called all of you running nerds. Got a problem with that?

Hey Mr. you just insulted my husband.Big grin

Lily, I have a race in mind for you in August. And free room and board. Think about it!  Smile

aplodder

Susan

My family has planned vacations (usually a couple 3-5 day-ers a year) around races so often that my youngest son (now 18) asked me if there was a race in Nashville, because that's where he'd like to go next.

When my boys were younger (over age 10-I wouldn't take toddlers or babies to a race.  I'm not that brave.) -

1) We would book a decent hotel with a pool, and later, wifi. (DS1 would go anywhere there was a pool and wifi.)

2) We would eat at decent and/or unique restaurants. (DS2 and DH will go anywhere if there is good food involved.)

3) We would all go to the bigger Expo's.  There is free stuff and usually cool stuff for kids to do at larger expo's.  At smaller ones, I would go myself while they hung at the pool.

4) I never expected anyone to get up and be at the start line on race day.  By the time I was done racing, the rest of the crew would have slept in, had breakfast, maybe hung out at the pool a bit.  If they showed up at the finish, (they almost always did) cool.  If not, cool.

5) We always made time to look around the town or city and check out anything that interested anyone.

Of course, this all hinged on having a supportive husband.  So I'm thankful for him.

Now DH and I go ourselves much of the time.  Sometimes we meet up with some forum friends.  DH helps with logistics-drives us to the start, etc.  His only request is that we find whatever Steelers bar is in town (yes, there IS a Steeler bar in every town)  for him to watch the game if it's a fall race.  Life is good.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Our first HM in Knoxville was combined with visit to DW' brother, et al.   We want to run in Nashville in November or April and stay a few days for some music.

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

I am reading Duel in the Sun right now - a book about running the Boston Marathon. I guess that makes me a nerd. Smile

- Andrew

RSX

I am reading Duel in the Sun right now - a book about running the Boston Marathon. I guess that makes me a nerd. Smile

I'm a bigger nerd because I loved the book and had it signed by the author, plus Alberto Salazar/Dick Beardley. When Alberto came out with his book (all 3 signed that also) last year I went to see him speak on it at the Boston Expo last year, and they were there also. RWOL had the interview on their web site also which may still be around somewhere. Alberto was the first elite that I followed.

Well if you want to do your Bahamas Marathon again, you might get some takers.

However I believe I am going to personally vote against the Puerto Rico Marathon.

Dave

Hip Redux

However I believe I am going to personally vote against the Puerto Rico Marathon.

Bermuda, Bahamas, Hawaii.... I can be convinced to go. lol

happylily

Bahamas was nice and flat (except 2 bridges) and I would certainly go back there. It makes for a nice 4-5 days vacation. Bermuda (on the same date as Nassau) was also nice, but hilly. Puerto Rico sounds scary! Shocked We'll leave it to the badasses around here. Big grin Hawaii is too costly for me, unfortunately. And it's also so darn far to travel there. I'd have to stay 2 weeks to make it worthwhile for me and I don't have the vacation time for it in the winter. :-(

happylily

Beth, I read your PM. Been thinking about that August race a lot. Big grin But it would be the HM for me. Not the marathon.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

How about the Tucson marathon on 8 December? Wink