Beginners and Beyond

18 things they never told you about running (Read 190 times)

Found this on a blog and thought it was pretty fun.  Can you add your own?

18 Things Nobody Told Me About Running

1. It’s hard…like, really hard. But just like relationships, parenting and figuring out your new iPhone, it gets easier with time. You may even–gasp—start to like it!

2. Clipping your toenails will take precedence over plucking your eyebrows some days.

3. In spite of your childhood hatred of “weird food,” your pantry will be filled with running superfoods you’re not really sure how to pronounce, like quinoachia, spirulina and acai.

4. At some point, you will see other runners peeing in public. You will wrinkle your nose at them: EWWW, GROSS!

5. At some point, you, too, will pee in public. You will never judge again.

6. Ditto for snot rockets.

7. When you first start, four miles seems like a lot. One day, you’ll catch yourself telling someone “I only ran four miles today.” Try not to smile smugly when that happens.

8. You’ll wince at a pair of high heels with a $100 price tag, but declare it a bargain if that same tag is on your favorite running shoes.

9. Your laundry basket will smell like a boys’ locker room. You won’t really notice (or care).

10. You’ll geek out at the opportunity to run in the rain, because it’s just that awesome.

11. There will be stretches of days when you don’t feel like running at all. It’s perfectly normal, it’s not a failure, and a few days off does a body good.

12. Like Christmas, you will be wide awake at 2 a.m. on race morning, giggling. Also like Christmas, you will not be allowed to wake anyone in the house up until 5 a.m.

13. Without any prompting on your part, family members, friends and coworkers will take up running, too. They’ll ask all the same questions you had when you started—and this time, you’ll be the one with the answers.

14. The first thing you’ll do when you book a vacation or work travel is look for races and/or cool running routes in the area.

15. “Runger” is real, and it is marvelous. Only pregnant women and runners can truly understand strange cravings at strange times.

16. While running with your friends, you will talk about food, children, current events—everything but running. During cocktail hour with that same group, when you’re showered and wearing “real-world” clothes, all you will talk about, ever, is running.

17. The friends you make through running will become like family.

18. Anyone can do it. (Yes, you!) 

Mine:  You will parade around your black and/or gone toenails like badges of honor.

Love the Half

Most of the time, I find these lists complete bullshit but this one is really good and I can't argue with a damn thing.  Except for the superfood stuff.  I still have lots of beer and love Kraft Mac and Cheese.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

tracilynn

"runger" haha. That's a good one.

~~~~~~~

Traci

Hipfan

Proud Calgarian

Ha, nice list!

Yes for me except for #s 4,6,10, and 15.

2015 Goals and PRs:

5k - 17:59 (18:05);  10k - 35:59 (36:42);   HM - 1:19:19 (1:19:59);   FM - 2:49:59 (3:05:46)

Will run for scenery.

19) You will wake up at an earlier hour than absolutely neccesary to voluntarily engage in physical activity.  (Okay, at least once....)

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

Mmmmm...beer

I didn't need running to get me to pee in public, I've always done that, I'm a man, the world is my toilet! Smile  I have yet to perform the snot rocket tho, I have fears of it going horribly awry. lol

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Tar Heel Mom

kween

I don't like running in the rain. Otherwise, a perfect list.

Nolite te bastardes carborundum.

delicate flower

I have no problem spening $100 on a pair of high heels.

<3

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I always seem to be the misfit. I think only 4-5 at most of those would fit me - and I'm not mentioning which ones. Evil

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

sheepla

Really love #16!

Hip Redux

I always seem to be the misfit. I think only 4-5 at most of those would fit me - and I'm not mentioning which ones. Evil

The high heels one?

:P

Hip Redux

I have no problem spening $100 on a pair of high heels.

$100?  You clearly have not purchased good heels lately!  Check out these beauts.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

#20. You will apply lubricant liberally...for solo endeavors.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

GC100k

Most of the time, I find these lists complete bullshit but this one is really good and I can't argue with a damn thing.  Except for the superfood stuff.  I still have lots of beer and love Kraft Mac and Cheese.

Ya, most of these lists assume you've never exercised before.  This one only has one (#9 stinky clothes) that assumes you've never sweated before.  I also don't associate the superfoods with running.

#14 googling running routes before traveling: guilty

#13 others around me taking up running: has never happened

#16 talking about running: rarely (except online)

Some chick-specific stuff in there.

Hipfan

Proud Calgarian

Ya, most of these lists assume you've never exercised before.  This one only has one (#9 stinky clothes) that assumes you've never sweated before.  I also don't associate the superfoods with running.

#14 googling running routes before traveling: guilty

#13 others around me taking up running: has never happened

#16 talking about running: rarely (except online)

Some chick-specific stuff in there.

Hey, some of us haven't really exercised before here! Smile

Definitely eating has gone right alongside running in helping me lose weight; and facebook might as well be called 'runbook' because my running friends outnumber others like 10:1! And planning trips around races is also the way to go, right?

2015 Goals and PRs:

5k - 17:59 (18:05);  10k - 35:59 (36:42);   HM - 1:19:19 (1:19:59);   FM - 2:49:59 (3:05:46)