Beginners and Beyond

It's Friday - Penguin Party Time! (Read 18 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

PADRunner

Morning penguins. 6 more done this morning.

This is getting repetitive...

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Did the marked 5K course in a local park yesterday after work.  Nice easy run/walk of 3.16 miles in 34:20.  Weather was a bit overcast, with a very slight breeze and a temp of 49 degrees with a 'feels like" of 46.  I was about the only person in the park, I only saw about 5 other people.  And lots of deer.    Usually this park is crowded as all get-out.   I thought it was funny, cuz when the temp in San Antoniio goes below 50 degrees not too many people go out into the park for their walks, bike rides, etc.   Yes, we really are "cold" weather wimps, lol.  It does make a for a nice, peaceful run on paved trails winding through the woods.  Very pleasant outing.

Today is a rest day.  However, I have an appointment today and will leave work about 2 pm for my 'respiratory assessment".  Gail was the one who heard the message on the phone last night while I was out running.  When she got home she asked me 'what the heck is a respiratory assessment?"  Umm, that means I get to go out to the place in San Antonio where the military docs do the testing for the oxygen capacity in my lungs, probably also will have to run on a treadmill attached to some measuring apparatus, some fun.     And so begins the first part of my 'birth month" annual physical process.  Well, I guess I should not really complain, in my case each year, my military med folks have always been very thorough and if there is anything to find- hopefully not! - at least they will find it way early, which is always a good thing.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Morning penguins. 6 more done this morning.

This is getting repetitive...

What is getting repetitive, PAD?

Brilliant

Good morning Penguins!

Kathleen, your winter running sounds nice, you are not crazy.  But I don't think I'll see the "more miles than degrees" membership in my lifetime.

PAD, nice running, consistency is great!

Scotty, nice that you got to run the course; good luck this weekend!  And I'm hoping for the best of outcomes on your birthday month testing spree.

SRD for me and I need it.  I mentioned last week that I was going to a speed drill workout with the club from the LRS.  But I ended up not making it last week.  So I went last night and I thought they were trying to kill me. Big grin  We did hill sprints of about 200M.  By #6 I really wanted to quit, but I made it to #8 before deciding that I really thought I might pass out.  The other runners did 2 more while I did an easy cool-down jog.  My glutes are feeling it this morning!  (although that might also be related to the session with the trainer - I did squats, planks, and push-ups for him to evaluate my fitness, plus a warmup on the bike).  Oh, I also played tag with the after-school kids yesterday.  An overall very active day yesterday, so today I'm only going to yoga!

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have 7 and Insanity Plyo tonight.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good morning and happy Friday.

Nice 6 PAD. Nice 6 PAD...

Hope your tests are ok, scott.

Glad you survived the workout, Brill and tag with the kids.  Which was harder?

Have a great 7 and Insanity Plyo whatever that is.

3 for us when DW gets back from Curves.  Probably inside again.  I made to the healh club as well, except I go at 6.

Have a great weekend.

Singer who runs a smidge

Good morning, Penguins!!  I had chorus rehearsal last night, which was fun.  My knee taping seems to have helped a little, or at least this session of ice picks in the knee is over.  It seems to come and go, and all my analytical experience hasn't helped me figure out quite why.  Full moon, maybe?  Anyway, so glad it's Friday!!  I bailed on my walk yesterday because of the aforementioned ice picks, plus I had a "feels like" of something like 28 degrees.  Cold weather wuss that I am, it wasn't happening.  But it might happen today.  Chorus coaching tomorrow, woo-hoo!!

PAD -- broken record, eh?  Woo-hoo for your done 6!!  Woo-hoo for your done 6!!  Woo-hoo for your done 6!!  Woo-hoo for your done 6!!

Scotty -- well, at least you'll get a run in at the doc's!!

Brilliant -- Sounds like a major workout!!  Hopefully the yoga will restore your zen.

Docket -- Funny, I never schedule my bouts of insanity.  They just sneak up and take over!!

Jerryb -- Have a good inside run and gym session!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

GinnyinPA

Scotty- good luck with all the medical testing.  Hope all the results are optimal.  Are you racing this weekend?  Yesterday's sounds like a great run.

PAD - doing those six every day really adds up.  Are you following a plan, or just doing your own thing?

Brilliant - yes, you did earn a rest day, after all that exercise yesterday.

HopesMom - hope the knee behaves today.

Damaris - enjoy your seven tonight.  Good luck with the Insanity workout.

Jerry - Good luck on your three on the track.  Good job on the early gym workout.

Kathleen - nice description yesterday of your cold winter run.  I have had hikes like that, but I am not much of a cold weather runner.  Under 30 and the runny eyes and nose take all the joy away.

AFM:  It's a SRD today.  I'm rearranging my long run from Sunday to tomorrow to take advantage of better weather.  I thought about doing my MP run today, so I'd keep to the HH schedule of doing the long run on tired legs, but that would make 8 days in a row, and that's a bit much when I'm not just running two mile streak days.

PADRunner

PAD - doing those six every day really adds up.  Are you following a plan, or just doing your own thing?

Following a plan. A few more 6's left to go. Start tapering after this week.

Brilliant

Hi Jerry, sorry you got insulted at the club last night.

Glad you survived the workout, Brill and tag with the kids.  Which was harder?

Definitely the hill sprints!  I had to do some sprinting with the kids, but I am quite a bit bigger than the average primary-grader, so I used a lot of blocking skills there.

From the Internet.

Hi pens!

No time to run yesterday :C But I'm heading over to the gym in a minute for however many miles I feel like doing. I might even run OUTSIDE tomorrow, imagine that!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

SRD for me and I need it.  I mentioned last week that I was going to a speed drill workout with the club from the LRS.  But I ended up not making it last week.  So I went last night and I thought they were trying to kill me. Big grin  We did hill sprints of about 200M.  By #6 I really wanted to quit, but I made it to #8 before deciding that I really thought I might pass out.  The other runners did 2 more while I did an easy cool-down jog.  My glutes are feeling it this morning!  (although that might also be related to the session with the trainer - I did squats, planks, and push-ups for him to evaluate my fitness, plus a warmup on the bike).  Oh, I also played tag with the after-school kids yesterday.  An overall very active day yesterday, so today I'm only going to yoga!

Have massage gloves..will travel......       Well, you certainly earned your rest day, Brilliant!  Oh, and I did not run the course I am doing for my 5K weekend.  I just ran one of the marked 5K courses that happens to be in this particular park I was in.  It is a very convenient park to train in; lots of races done in this park, so has several courses of various race distances you can run.

Good luck with the Insanity Plyo, Damaris.  You should do really well at that, you insane person you.

Jerry, I won't know my results for a while, that's the way it is.  You go get all this stuff done and then about a week later my Primary doc will call me and give me all the info.   Today is only the beginning.  Over the next couple of weeks for my 'annual',  I go at various times for blood-work, kidney testing (since I have a cyst in my left kidney they always monitor it), neurology testing (because of my slight vertigo at times), hearing test (because I'm a bit deaf in my left ear), surgery clinic (checking my hernia mesh), oncology/gastroenterologist checkup, my annual dermatologist 'lookover' (because I had a bout of skin cancer previously), orthopedist (for my spinal-and-hip arthritis and my knee with the screw in it)..and so on...and so on.   I often get a laugh when I go in - gotta keep your sense of humor! - because I've had quite a 'diverse' medical history past - my medical record, when it was a hard-copy, was about 3 volumes thick!  Now it's all digital, but even so, to give you an example my spinal arthritis MRI results were 5 pages long! - and since the military hospital I go to is also a teaching hospital, sometimes the docs ask if it's okay of some of the students sit in at my appointments, lol.  Sure, why not, I don't mind being an 'experiment' to help our future  med techs, nurses, and doctors.

HsM, did you return the gladiator brace already?  So sorry you can't find something to get your knee working 100% for you.

5K tomorrow for me, Ginny.  Heart & Soul 5K, which is benefiting the local chapter of American Heart Association and also research for heart disease, one of the problems my late mother had. So this one is in memory of her.   Good luck with your long run tomorrow and hope the weather cooperates for you!  Sure you don't want to do a winter-getaway and come down and enjoy some of our 60+ San Antonio weather? 

Hope your run today went well, Lauren!  And hope your weather, too, cooperates so you can get outside. Oh...wait just a minute...I have to adjust a bit the blinds on the window behind my computer because the bright sunshine is streaming into the window here right onto my puter screen........

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Scotty, you sure give them practice using digital records.

We got our 3 in.  Several runners today passing us, as well as quite a few people with disabilities.  Makes the run interesting.

tracilynn

I did 4.5 Mi tempo this morn with 2 Mi at tempo. I also did 30 full body squats.  It was a good run. I wish every run could be like today.

TGIF

~~~~~~~

Traci