Beginners and Beyond

Free race photos! (Read 95 times)

Hip Redux

http://www.runnersworld.com/races/san-francisco-marathon-to-offer-free-race-photos

Imagine crossing the finish line of a marathon, collecting your medal and postrace nutrition in the finisher’s chute, and then grabbing your free photos.

The San Francisco Marathon will make this scenario a reality on July 27 when it becomes the first major city marathon to offer free race photos to runners.

“We represent the greater San Francisco Bay Area, and we feel that the marathon should be representative of the culture and community we represent,” Tom Huston, race director for the San Francisco Marathon, told Runner's World Newswire. “Because we are the tech capital of the world, we wanted to take a more forward-thinking approach.”

Huston hired a third party company, Gameface Media, to shoot photos of runners along the course. Runners will be able to claim their photos online, download, and share them on social media. Runners will also have the option to get prints of the photos, for a fee.

Hutson said the marathon's registration fee hasn't been raised to reflect the loss of revenue from the traditional paid-photos model. Instead, in the free-photos model, a sponsor bears the cost of the service; in return, their logo is printed, along with the race logo, on a corner of the photo, as seen in the image above.

Docket_Rocket

Yay!  I'll have free photos.

I'll be happy until I actually SEE the photos.  LOL.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Mmmmm...beer

I'd take free pics with a logo on 'em.  Smile

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Hip Redux

I'd take free pics with a logo on 'em.  Smile

Totally!

D - of course, this is the race I have to DNS! 

Docket_Rocket

Totally!

D - of course, this is the race I have to DNS! 

Are you still going?

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Walk-Jogger

It's not a marathon, but the Bloomsday 12K offered free photos this year for it's 44k runners, for the first time. Maybe it's an attempt to attract more runners to races? Or maybe the race photo people got tired of taking all those pics and not selling many of them, so the race organizers must hire them now for a set fee?

Retired &  Loving It

Hip Redux

Are you still going?

Yeah, Mr. O is running the full.

Docket_Rocket

Yeah, Mr. O is running the full.

I'll be running the full too.  Although if last year was any indication, with the elevation profile being WTF (see my prior thread about it), running might be a tad exaggeration.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

RSX

Boston was offering this for just $89.99. Prints would be extra.

Hip Redux

Sure, that's the same as free. lol

Boston can charge whatever they want for anything.

I would probably trade in a finisher's medal for free photos, if that was an option. And maybe even the shirt, depending on what it looked like. Although I do need my race shirts, since those are the only things I run in.

Dave

Marathonfoto charges for the pictures not the BAA.

I used to get a little mad when I saw the pricing but now it's clear they know what they are doing or else they'd be out of business. I hope this model grows because there are a couple race photos I'd like to buy but just can't justify the price.

StepbyStep-SH

The only race I have done that offered free photos is the trail run I am doing again on June 7. A couple of local volunteers take a ton of photos, then just throw them up on Picasa and let you download any you want.

If races would offer a download for $5, I'd have bought those from most of my marathons, but when the cheapest download is $25, I just can't justify it.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

Marathonfoto charges for the pictures not the BAA.

I used to get a little mad when I saw the pricing but now it's clear they know what they are doing or else they'd be out of business. I hope this model grows because there are a couple race photos I'd like to buy but just can't justify the price.

THE FLAG PHOTO. PLEASE JUST BUY THE FLAG PHOTO.

Dave

THE FLAG PHOTO. PLEASE JUST BUY THE FLAG PHOTO.

That was justified. Wink