Beginners and Beyond

Allergies (Read 34 times)

Half Crazy K 2.0

For those who suffer seasonal or inhaled allergies, do you notice a difference in pace/how you feel when running? I have been taking generic Claritin for at least 7 years. I have an allergist appointment next week for food issues, so had to stop Claritin 1 week before the appointment. I did a 5k today and it sucked. I feel like I can't really get a good breath of air in through my nose, but it isn't totally stuffed up.

Could this really be due to the 2 days of antihistamines? Just wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences.

Docket_Rocket

Yes.  I remember they couldn't stop me from Zyrtec to do the skin allergy exam because I would get asthma attacks if not taking one a day.  So, they did the blood test which does not need you to stop your allergy meds.

And also, whenever I forget my allergy med, my chest gets congested and my pace gets slow, so I think it is possible for you to be suffering if you have not taken it for 2 days.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I often have the opposite reaction. When I run my sinuses often clear up and I can breathe easier. After I stop I get completely stuffed up gain and sometimes go on sneezing jags.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Docket_Rocket

I often have the opposite reaction. When I run my sinuses often clear up and I can breathe easier. After I stop I get completely stuffed up gain and sometimes go on sneezing jags.

It depends on what you are allergic to.  Although my chest usually clears after 4 miles of running (and remain clear after that), if I hit dust in the air, I'm fucked.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Half Crazy K 2.0

In the cold, my sinuses will open. During the summer, it really depends. It fees like my nose is plugged high up, if that makes any sense.

My primary care doctor ran 2 blood panels. Shrimp came back slightly elevated, so off to the allergist. I've already had the skin testing for non-food allergies, all are kept at bay with claritin.

Docket_Rocket

In the cold, my sinuses will open. During the summer, it really depends. It fees like my nose is plugged high up, if that makes any sense.

My primary care doctor ran 2 blood panels. Shrimp came back slightly elevated, so off to the allergist. I've already had the skin testing for non-food allergies, all are kept at bay with claritin.

The allergist can do the blood allergy test (that's where I got mine).  She said that the skin one is a bit more accurate but it is hard to get a false positive.  Do you know what level of shrimp allergy you got?  I am high for WTF for all shellfish and dust.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Half Crazy K 2.0

The allergist can do the blood allergy test (that's where I got mine).  She said that the skin one is a bit more accurate but it is hard to get a false positive.  Do you know what level of shrimp allergy you got?  I am high for WTF for all shellfish and dust.

Positive was greater than .1. I got .18. I don't remember what the measurement was. From what I remember of reading the lab report, it was positive, but not a huge number.

It is possible this was just coincidence. I had to convince the NP that I thought I had some reaction after DH, myself & a neighbor ate sushi and I was the only one who spent 3 hours, um, removing it from my system. The NP took a while to get over the idea that I ate raw fish and had to ask if I had eaten raw fish before, yea, and how long I had done so, around 15 years.We all ate the same thing, so food poisoning seemed unlikely since only I got sick. There was no shrimp in our order, so hoping the allergist can shed some light on it.

Docket_Rocket

Positive was greater than .1. I got .18. I don't remember what the measurement was. From what I remember of reading the lab report, it was positive, but not a huge number.

It is possible this was just coincidence. I had to convince the NP that I thought I had some reaction after DH, myself & a neighbor ate sushi and I was the only one who spent 3 hours, um, removing it from my system. The NP took a while to get over the idea that I ate raw fish and had to ask if I had eaten raw fish before, yea, and how long I had done so, around 15 years.We all ate the same thing, so food poisoning seemed unlikely since only I got sick. There was no shrimp in our order, so hoping the allergist can shed some light on it.

Not sure because my numbers had a scale of 1 through 5, with 5 meaning certain death.  I got 4.5 for both.  I grew up knowing that if I eat shellfish I would die but the dustmite was a bit of a surprise.  I have always slept with handkerchiefs and stuff because my nose would run as soon as I got into bed.  With my allergy shots, that is completely gone.  Zyrtec or the allergy meds really do not do much for me.

Even though there was no shrimp in your order does not mean there was no contamination with shrimp.  Trust me, since I am so allergic, I know when that happens, even when I order meat.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Half Crazy K 2.0

Not sure because my numbers had a scale of 1 through 5, with 5 meaning certain death.  I got 4.5 for both.  I grew up knowing that if I eat shellfish I would die but the dustmite was a bit of a surprise.  I have always slept with handkerchiefs and stuff because my nose would run as soon as I got into bed.  With my allergy shots, that is completely gone.  Zyrtec or the allergy meds really do not do much for me.

Even though there was no shrimp in your order does not mean there was no contamination with shrimp.  Trust me, since I am so allergic, I know when that happens, even when I order meat.

I looked at the lab scale, it could go up to 100. .11-.31 was consider equivocal/low. Everything else on the fish & shellfish panel was negative.

Yea, sushi places are hotbeds for cross contamination.  I swear they just wipe the knife down between rolls. I did find that there are kosher sushi places about 20 minutes from me.

One rather disgusting thing I read was that you can be allergic to some worm that is in raw fish.

RSX

For those who suffer seasonal or inhaled allergies, do you notice a difference in pace/how you feel when running? I have been taking generic Claritin for at least 7 years. I have an allergist appointment next week for food issues, so had to stop Claritin 1 week before the appointment. I did a 5k today and it sucked. I feel like I can't really get a good breath of air in through my nose, but it isn't totally stuffed up.

Could this really be due to the 2 days of antihistamines? Just wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences.

I get congested on most runs especially in the beginning. I do warmups before most races which helps. I was worse when I tried generic Claritin. I take Claritin D 12 hour at least 30 minutes before my runs/when I wake up. I take Claritin 24 hour (no d) in the afternoon. This combination seems to help more than others I tried.

Docket_Rocket

I looked at the lab scale, it could go up to 100. .11-.31 was consider equivocal/low. Everything else on the fish & shellfish panel was negative.

Yea, sushi places are hotbeds for cross contamination.  I swear they just wipe the knife down between rolls. I did find that there are kosher sushi places about 20 minutes from me.

One rather disgusting thing I read was that you can be allergic to some worm that is in raw fish.

Remember, they couldn't do the skin test on me (just the blood test), so maybe the scales on each test are different.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

My experience with allergy meds and running:

http://community.runnersworld.com/blog/2013-big-d-texas-half---rr

In retrospect I felt that numb sensation very slightly during my normal runs just prior to the race while still on the juice.  Didn't think much of it.