Beginners and Beyond

Capitol Memorial Run 5k Race Report (Read 107 times)

LRB

With a time of 19:48, my third 5k of the season is in the books.

While there were many reasons why I should not have run this race; travel distance, busy weekend at home, I am still dealing with the effects of a cold.  There was one reason why I did; temps in the 40's.

For me, that is supreme racing weather and with that, I got my ass up and out this morning and made the 93 mile trek to Lansing (1 hour 20 minute drive) to go run my ass off.

It is with a bit of irony then that not five minutes into the stupid thing, my mind was already telling me to stop running and go home.  I literally had to shake my head like shut the hell up man, what are you, stupid?  Yeesh!

This race was an out and back run alongside the river on paved asphalt and wood decking.  There were a few rolling inclines but nothing major at all.

My race splits were:

6:29

6:32

6:18

0:28

This was a small event compared to what I am used to, there were maybe 200 runners and walkers there, many of whom were college students.  I started right behind a group of a dozen or so runners and focused on working my way up to race pace, as opposed to starting out too damn fast then dropping down to race pace.

I made my way through about 9 runners by about the 1 mile mark, and from there, I passed no one else and no one passed me.

After it was over, things got hectic as I could not find my name on the posted results.  My first thought was I just drove all this damn way knowing I had other things to do and might not get an official time....

But before I got too worked up, I looked them over again and there I was second from the top, Masters Overall Winner, whew!

Observations:

Man it seems no matter how good a shape you get yourself in, the mental demons will always be there.  No biggie, I am used to thumping them away but I honestly wasn't expecting that today.

I ran a bit of the third mile at a 6:05 clip just to see what that would taste like and you know what, Mikey Likey!  If I keep at it, there may be some golden treasure there for me in the future.

My Garmin beeped during the middle of the race at a point it should not have, and my first fear was the course was short.  I looked down though and it turns out it detected the heart monitor of a runner still heading out who passed by me, weird.   His heart rate was 160 by the way lol!

I am not a talker when I race.  Several people were saying things to me as I headed in like, "Good job", "You're in fourth overall", "You're looking good man" but I gave nary a wink.

I hate to come across as a prick but if I am waving to the crowd or saying what up doe to other runners or any of that nonsense, my pace is likely dropping.  We can talk all day when it's over but during the event, I am in the zone baby!

Peace!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Dang you are speedy!   And more 'hardy' than me, lol.  Singlet in the 40s!  I'd have been wearing a base layer and long-sleeved shirt!  Yeah, we South Texans are cold-weather wimps! Big grin

Congrats on your race and on your Master's win, way to go!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Hip Redux

Now that is some nice bling!  Great work, LRB!

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Good stuff!  You've been doing the work, and your race results are clearly showing it.  Was this another PR for you?  Your split look really good.  I haven't raced enough 5ks to decide if it's better to go out a little quicker, or to do exactly what you did.  Regardless, that last mile shows that it was a pretty good choice today.  Being able to pick the pace up to around 6:00 like you did is a great sign too.  Congrats on the masters win.

Reading this kinda makes me wish I had chosen to race today too.  We had the same weather, but I decided I had too much lingering soreness.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

GinnyinPA

Congratulations!  You really are fast.  We had the same weather, and I agree, it is perfect for racing.  The only problem is the wait for the race to start.

Docket_Rocket

Great job, Congrats!  Looking good!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

LRB, those are some insane splits, man!! Smokin' fast!! That has got to feel good. Treat yourself to some cold ones tonight, you earned it! Damn, that is impressive...

So does Masters=old guy division? Just Kidding! Way to kick some a@@ Rick.  Congrats on the Masters win! Very cool trophy?

First Race

Hot Chocolate 5K Chicago November 4, 2012 30:17

Second Race

Penguin in the Park 5K Decatur Illinois March 23,2013 27:08

Scott

Village people

Woohoo! Congrats!

Rondog65

Great job, some serious speed going on there.

Ron's PRs 5K 24:14 (12/07/2013); Half Marathon 1:53:33 (5/26/2013)

Coastal

Dang nice race!

That's a very cool plaque, too.

happylily

Congratulations, Rick! Those 19:something 5ks are becoming a little too easy for you, my friend.Big grin Time for new goals!

Love and totally agree with this:

I hate to come across as a prick but if I am waving to the crowd or saying what up doe to other runners or any of that nonsense, my pace is likely dropping.  We can talk all day when it's over but during the event, I am in the zone baby!

You look handsome and so cool, as always. Smile

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Ball of Fury

Awesome awesome job LRB!!!  Super speedy and congrats on the hardware!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

YAYpril - B-Plus

Congratulations! Great picture. Nice bling Smile

hog4life

DAMN!! Congrats, nice award. See? Sometimes it does pay to travel.