Beginners and Beyond

And They're Off! Penguin Weekender (Read 29 times)

PADRunner

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

PADRunner

Off to chase the Pumpkin!

Robert31320

Team TJ

6.3 Saturday morning miles done.

Running for TJ because he can't.

Zelanie

Morning!  Good luck to PAD and Mitch!

I was up early to drop DD off for a robotics tournament.  In this one, only the girls are allowed to interact with the robot.  Now I'm off to weight watchers, and then I will head up to watch the robot.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Vegging today.  Half marathon tomorrow.  I am hoping for a miraculous race (which just means not a PW).  In any case, I'm grateful to be running at all.

I just realized that the NYC Half is a very expensive race -- $117.  As long as I finish the Staten Island Half tomorrow I have guaranteed entry... but that's a whole lot of money to spend on a half.  I have a running friend who says the NYC half is the best half they've raced - so maybe I'll still pull the trigger, but I think I'll wait until the deadline before making my final decision.  I don't want to spend $117 registering for a HM if I'm **still** injured.  I guess I'd better work hard on the ankle PT until then.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Morning!  Good luck to PAD and Mitch!

I was up early to drop DD off for a robotics tournament.  In this one, only the girls are allowed to interact with the robot.  Now I'm off to weight watchers, and then I will head up to watch the robot.

I like that the girls are the only ones allowed to interact.  When I was the robotics mentor I noticed that the boys would try to dominate the girls.  I actually had a boy pull a tool from my hand as I was trying to demonstrate something - you can bet I told him to go sit down.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Zelanie

Sapf- Good luck tomorrow!  Hope that you feel strong and healthy in your race!  The Portland HM that goes with the full is currently $125, and that's super early bird for NEXT year's race.  I think any time you have the level of organization needed for a full marathon, the prices are going to be high.

I'm glad they do a "girls only" tournament too.  And I'm happy for the boys on the team who come and sit in the stands and cheer for the girls. Smile  There still are a ton of gender issues on the team, though.  I'm pretty sure Cypress would have gone into programming if she hadn't been pushed aside by some of the older boys.  Instead, she's on the business team.  But today, she is part of the drive team, so that will be fun.  She's the "human player" who gets to throw yoga balls onto the robot.  She bought special batting gloves last night to help her grip. Smile

From the Internet.

Hi pens! 5.1 miles with my Saturday group this morning. I've had to skip all of the September group runs due to the kid's soccer practice/games, was nice to see them all again Smile Rest day tomorrow, will be going up to my parents' house and leaving the kid there for a sleepover.

hog4life

15k done in 1:27:03. I fought the ole numb foot crap that sometimes haunts me. Oh well, there's always another day.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

5.4 miles done. I wish I could run in new shoes everyday.

GinnyinPA

PAD - hope your race went well.

Mitch - sorry your foot hurt during your race.  Do you know what the problem is?  Sciatica or shoes?

Robert - good run.

Z - sounds like fun.

sapf - good luck with your race tomorrow.  $117 is a lot of money, but might be worth doing once, if you're in shape for it.  Does the price go up if you wait?

Lauren - nice that you got to go with the group today and that you get some kidless time tomorrow.

Jack - I just got new shoes too, unexpectedly. They do feel good. (As we were driving home from our hike Thursday, we passed the town with the good running store and stopped in to see what was new.  They had at least four different ones in my size.  That is rare.)   I hope your five were pain free.

AFM:  misty morning, so I'm waiting until later to see if it burns off.  I got wet enough just walking the dog. Probably 4 or 5 easy.

Brilliant

Hello Penguins!

Rest day/expo for me today. Long Beach Half tomorrow!

sapf, good luck tomorrow. NYC sounds like a good one - I hope you can figure out how to do it.

lauren, Mitch, Jack & Robert - nice running this morning!

PAD, hope your race went well.

ginny, have a good one.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

You could return them and get a new pair.

Robert31320

Team TJ

What did you end up getting?

Running for TJ because he can't.

GinnyinPA

Brilliant and Damaris - good luck with your races tomorrow.

Scotty too if you're racing.

The sun finally came out about half way through my run, so I ended up extending it to 6.6.  Nice.  I really dislike gray days and we've had a bunch of those lately.