Beginners and Beyond

Banditing Boston and no one knows who they are yet (Read 124 times)

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

How are we not discussing this?

Hard to to believe no one knows who they are yet.

It is on RW and even a Wall Street journal blog has picked it up. I like this version.

http://fittish.deadspin.com/do-you-know-these-runners-because-theyre-probably-bast-1567215283?fb_action_ids=10201836983585696&fb_action_types=og.likes

Marjorie

LRB

I think one of them is named Lauren. 

Funny article, surfin' the net it seems the self-righteous amongst us is taking this pretty seriously.  I thought it was a right of passage so to speak to bandit Boston, no?

Love the Half

No.  Banditing used to be considered mildly amusing.  Now, it is unacceptable.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Walk-Jogger

"The two male runners on the right are Boston College cross country alumni, Boston College cross country assistant coach Tim Ritchie says."

Retired &  Loving It

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Lauren is identified as a Boston student   She has taken down her FB and linked in account from what people are saying.

Marjorie

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

No.  Banditing used to be considered mildly amusing.  Now, it is unacceptable.

This

Marjorie

Nevrgivup

Sadly the increased security did not stop those who wanted to bandit the race. I took care of a bandit that dropped out at mile 23. We treat bandits the same we would a registered runner. I thought the guy was cool until he told me he was a bandit. I hope by sharing this story these guys get the humiliation they deserve.

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

Great, now we will have to go through some sort of additional check in to our corrals.

Dreamn

I'm sure these kids never expected their faces to be plastered everywhere from this.  Other runners have come forward too, showing similar pictures of people running with their bib numbers.  All of the duplicate bib bandits seem to be around the same age.  They're probably all Boston or former Boston students who got the idea from the same place/person.

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

I have 2 problems with this.

#1.)  Safety.  After last year, there is NO WAY this should happen.  I get it, Boston's huge, but still.  This was a global event.  You can't have prevented this by investing a few bucks in some serious bib tech??  (or maybe do a "no timing chip, no deal!" scenario)

#2.)  And probably more important to me......these f@#$^!ing kids didn't have enough respect for their own city and country to refrain from pulling a stunt like this??  To me, from here on out that course, race, and town are now hallowed ground.  Those kids should be VERY thankful today that I am not part of law enforcement or part of the disciplinary hierarchy for Boston or BC because I would come down on them like a pallet of bricks sitting on top of a Howitzer stacked on top of a f@#$^ing AIRCRAFT CARRIER!!!

Sorry.....I am just totally OVER the disrespect shown for arguably the most important sporting events of this century so far.

Randy

RSX

This is all over FB here. RW folks have been on this all day. You folks have better info than they have. The old argument that bandits can potentially take away the water from others etc. always seemed to work out okay when I ran it in the past. Monday with a lot less bandits the last 2 water stations were low on water which I'm guessing was because of the heat.

PADRunner

Ironic how this sounds familiar to last year when everyone was trying to ID the bombers, posting pictures of innocent people who had their lives ruined. Anyone could photo shop a bib onto someone they dislike or and post it.

RSX

Ironic how this sounds familiar to last year when everyone was trying to ID the bombers, posting pictures of innocent people who had their lives ruined. Anyone could photo shop a bib onto someone they dislike or and post it.

Someone on RW posted names of a bunch of alleged BQ cheaters. (folks who BQed at other races by skipping mats) It was quite a long thread and I posted something along the likes of is it worth the lawsuit, and that Rodale was liable also. Next day I looked and the thread was gone for some reason.

"Ryan, thank you from the USA, Boston, and God for holding my drop bag while I had to pee before the start."

"Anytime, Meb."

MothAudio

Back in 1996 for the centential there was much discussion among qualifiers about bandits taking away resources from the anticipated largest field in Boston history (36,748 starters; 35,868 finishers). The race director responded that bandits have become as much a part of Boston tradition as the post race beef stew and kissing "bandits" at Wellesley. Everyone held their breath, trusting everything would unfold race day without a hitch. I wore a message on my shirt protesting the bandits for this particular year. But to my surprise management accounted for all 38,708 official entrants and who knows how many bandits. They started well behind me and I didn't see anyone w/o a bib in the race.

With the tragic events in last year's race the BAA has obviously changed their position and out-lawed bandits this year. Of course, they out-lawed headphones too and we've seen how that played out. Apparently there were fewer runners that openly participated as bandits but there will always be people that want to run but are unable or unwilling to put in the work to qualify or lack fundraising skills/know someone. While the memories of 2013 are still fresh I imagine the attention to bandits will be relaxed in the future and their numbers will increase. I'm not as hardcore as most about the issue of bandits but I've always felt that Boston is one race, because if it's unique qualifying protocal, should be reserved for those that earn it.

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile