Beginners and Beyond

SaturDAILY for Perspiring Penguins (Read 29 times)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

What is Scotty going to do with no races this weekend????

Another RD for me.  I'll try a slow mile tomorrow.  BTW, Can someone send some of their excess heat to Chicago?

Good morning

No early am run today. I hope to go buy some tire tubes for my bike and get in a ride/ run this afternoon after chores. Super exciting huh Smile

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

tracilynn

I wish we could ship off some of this heat!  August is the hottest month and its not even July yet.

tomas, is this the maiden voyage of the

bike?

RD for me.  My right ITB is still annoyed.  myrtls and core work later.

~~~~~~~

Traci

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Run with hubby and weights tonight.

Jerry, enjoy the rest day and good luck tomorrow.

Tomas, enjoy the bike ride.

traci, hope the ITB feels better so you can try the new shoes!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Zelanie

Morning!  I wish my conference was a fancy one with hotels and stuff, but it's just a small little one.  Bilingual ed in Oregon isn't exactly the biggest field. Smile

We're in the middle of a heat wave, plus we still have the humidity from last week's rain, but I noticed that it cooled down really nicely yesterday evening.  I'm hoping that it does the same for my 5 miles tonight.

Jerry- Our heat should literally be on its way to you!  Hope the mile goes well tomorrow!

T-rod- Hope your ride and run are great later!

Traci- How can you take a RD with new shoes?  That must be tough!  If you want to try neutral but *not* quite minimalist, you might check out Saucony Kinvaras as well.  They maintained at least some cushioning, especially around the heel, and have a 4 mm drop.

D- Hope you and hubby have a nice run!

I wish we could ship off some of this heat!  August is the hottest month and its not even July yet.

tomas, is this the maiden voyage of the

bike?

RD for me.  My right ITB is still annoyed.  myrtls and core work later.

No - yesterday was and I had a damn blowout. I did get in 8.6 miles though. And it was fun while it lasted.

I hope those new shoes help too.

Z- hot+ humid= no fun

D- dont hurt hubby to bad. Does he lift with you?

Tomas

Docket_Rocket

He does not lift.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

He does not lift.

Baby steps I guess. You will get to where you want him to be and he won't even know what's going on. That's what happens around this place.

Tomas

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

11 miles done at an 8:19 pace. Off to the swim meet in a bit. Have a good day. Smile

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

While on the subject of shoes....do low heel drop shoes, like the Kinvara's have less weardown on the heels?

Amazonian Princess

Good morning!

Getting ready for the "USO Salutes Our Heroes" 5k and it's hot already, but at least it's not Miami hot Big grin

At packet pickup I was bib #22, does that mean it's likely going to be a small race? They were being given out in sequence and we actually showed up after the LRS had closed but they let us in (they have a store dog, so you know they're good people!)

I'm sure it'll be fun no matter how many show up, and it's for a great cause!

I can. I will. I am. 

From the Internet.

Hi pens!

3.12 miles in 32 minutes - was going to shoot for 40 minutes today but I got up too late and it was miserably humid by the time I got outside. Felt like I was breathing through a straw after my strides at the end. 1 set of 2 minutes walk/8 jog and 2 sets of 1 walk/9 jog, followed by strides and a minute or so cooldown jog, walked the dog when I got home to finish cooling down. 8.83 miles for the week, not bad!

I've been poking around the Internet to replace some of my older, all-cotton running/workout clothes since I can't even bear to look at them in this weather.. I have no idea how I suffered through wearing so much cotton last summer! Just snagged two Pearl Izumi shirts with matching shorts from eBay for a grand total of $16 shipped, my wallet and running wardrobe are both happy now Big grin

Bin Running

Jerry no idea but t could be as lower heel drop might, might encourage mid foot strike.

Jack, fast run!

Woke up at 545 but see that the air index is not too low. So, I slept in. Nephew 1st birthday today and we have a chalet with buffet. Managed to squeeze in 8+ miles.

Planning for some BBQ tmr.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Easy 2 mile jog at recovery pace (favorite workout of  my plan this week lol!) with my boyfriend's doggie.  Now going to Congressional Country Club to watch the ATT National golf tournament!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to