Beginners and Beyond

PENGUIN's Tuesdaily (Read 28 times)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning.  Was hoping someone else would start so I don't screw it up again.  Short run after work.

Docket_Rocket

LOL.  Morning!

6 miles later tonight.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I had some issues getting up this morning. I went to bed way earlier than I usually do but apparently I still didn't want to wake up. I did eventually drag my lazy ass out of bed and get on running clothes but by the time I got out the door I only had time for a 20 minute run. Figured 20 minutes was better than no minutes so got 1.8 miles. Meh.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

tracilynn

Morning Jerry, damaris, and Kristin.

only thing running on me is my sinusesDead  My throat hurts too. Hope it doesn't turn into something worse. Will run tonight.

~~~~~~~

Traci

PADRunner

Morning all.2.5 tempo done on the TM. Maybe I'll venture out for a couple tonight.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Good morning, Pens.

Jerry: nice and simple thread title. I like it.

D: hi and have a good run.

Kristin: hey, that's better than nothing.

Traci: I have a touch of the same thing you do. I'm wearing long pants today for the first time this fall. It's cool and rainy so I don't want to get worse.

PAD: go for a run around the park. It's not bad.

As for me, 8 miles later.

hog4life

2 last night with the NOBO group, then went to the lead coaches house for pizza and a beer and to stuff 200 race packets. You think running is hard, you should see the work behind the seens. Maybe 5 tonight.

Thanks for all the comments on my RR, I really didn't mean to make you ladies cry, but I'm a softy when it comes to stuff like that.

Traci, are you trying to invite me to be your team mate? When is it?

Bin Running

Jerry, we need some mix-up sometimes..

9M w/ 6 x 800 @ 5K this morning..

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Watching the local weather report last night for today's forecast....WTH?!!! 90 degrees for a high today!  Mother Nature is still messing with us!  So got up and ran early this morning around the university campus.  I started at 6:15 a.m., but even so, it was still already 75 degrees and very humid.  I did the route of the Diploma Dash 5K - the annual fundraiser 5K for the university - and decided to push myself a bit.  Ended up finishing the 5K route in 32:08, so not too bad for an old dog - and much better than my 40 minute 5K races over last weekend.  Of course, today there were no crowds and I was not stopping to take photos either, so that might have helped me being more speedy.  My last 1/2 mile it started raining on me, which actually felt really nice by that time.

Today is October 29th.  This day in history....in 529 BC, Cyrus The Great, King of Persia, declared the first charter of human rights in the world.  In 1792, Mount Hood (Oregon) is named after the British naval officer Alexander Arthur Hood by Lt. William E. Broughton who spotted the mountain near the mouth of the Willamette River.  In 1955, Emile Zatopek runs world record 15 mile (1:14:01) & 25,000m (1:16:36). In 1994, the National Museum of American Indians opens in New York City.  In 2008, Delta Air Lines merges with Northwest Airlines, creating the world's largest airline.  In 2012, Hurricane Sandy makes landfall in New Jersey.

Today's holidays

National Oatmeal Day - how do you like your oatmeal?  I just put my instant oatmeal in a bowl, add a bit of water, stir, cook in the microwave and I'm done.  Very bland, no additives.  Gail just rolls her eyes.

Hermit Day - A day to be by yourself and get away from it all.   Unless you're  a Herman's Hermit, of course....then go out and sing to a crowd! Big grin  How many here are old enough to even remember Herman's Hermits?

National Cat Day - Pamper your feline friend today.  As if they don't get pampered enough, right?

Checklist Day - Check it once, check it twice, make sure you have everything!

oatmeal cartoons, oatmeal cartoon, funny, oatmeal picture, oatmeal pictures, oatmeal image, oatmeal images, oatmeal illustration, oatmeal illustrations

oatmeal cartoons, oatmeal cartoon, funny, oatmeal picture, oatmeal pictures, oatmeal image, oatmeal images, oatmeal illustration, oatmeal illustrations

KEYWORD1  2008-11-05  dinosaur  breakfast  instant breakfast  just add water  meal  meals  food  hot

KEYWORD1  2010-12-29  fairy tale  fairy tales  goldilocks  goldilocks and the three bears  three bea

KEYWORD1  2012-03-05  telephone  telephones  phone  phones  cell phone  cell phones  cellphone  cell

hermit cartoons, hermit cartoon, funny, hermit picture, hermit pictures, hermit image, hermit images, hermit illustration, hermit illustrations

check list cartoons, check list cartoon, funny, check list picture, check list pictures, check list image, check list images, check list illustration, check list illustrations

checklist cartoons, checklist cartoon, funny, checklist picture, checklist pictures, checklist image, checklist images, checklist illustration, checklist illustrations

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Zelanie

Morning!  I made up my own track workout last night.  4 x 1000 at Interval pace with .35 mile recoveries.  Went pretty well, although I was a tad slow on all of them.  I think a big part of that was that I was outside in the dark instead of on the track.  There were plenty of obstacles like little hills, cars, leaves, and curbs to contend with.  I've never had to try to navigate that stuff and hold a pace.

HsM- I loved your costume yesterday!  You are so creative!

Jerry- Hope you enjoy the run today!

Damaris- Have a good run!  I am behind on RRs but hope to get to yours soon.

kristin- Good for you for not throwing in the towel altogether when you were running late!

Traci- Feel better!

PAD- Nice job on the TM!

Jack- Hope you are feeling better soon!

Mitch- Thanks for volunteering. Smile

Bin- Nice run today!

Zelanie

Scotty- Mt. Hood already had a name when it was "named" Mt. Hood.  It was Wy'East.  And I like my oatmeal pretty plan, just a little bit of salt and some PB2 (powdered peanut butter) in it.

Good Morning!

Traci--that's how my bad cold started last week---woke up with a sore throat! Take a day off and sleep as much as you can...I think that's what helped me the most! Plus lots of OJ.

I was actually didn't feel well enough to do any short runs prior to the MCM10k on Sunday, but went ahead and ran the 10k since I was finally feeling better.  It went pretty good!  I ran with a friend who keeps a slower pace than mine, so it was perfect for me that I never felt like I was pushing it.  It was more like an easy long run.  We finished at about 1:20: xx.  Afterward I cheered on a few friends running the marathon and I think I added an additional 4-5 miles walking around to different points to catch them and cheer them on!

Today is grad school night, so no running.  I have an 8K on Sunday morning to gear up for now!

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  Well, DH and I had already decided that we wanted to have a fire in our firepit yesterday.  So when I got home and discovered the power was out, I figured we must be geniuses!!  As it turned out, it was something wrong with our transformer and they fixed it in a couple of hours.  But that was enough time for us to hang out in the backyard and do hot dogs and s'mores over the fire.  Great evening!!

Jerryb -- see, after all that teasing yesterday we knew you'd get it right today!!

Docket -- have a good 6!!

kristin -- hey, that's 1.8 miles more than I've done this week!!

traci -- hope it's only allergies and it goes away quickly!!

PAD -- woo-hoo for your tempo run!!

Jack -- have a good 8 later!!

hog -- I bet there's a lot to organizing a race that we never even think of when we run them!!

Bin -- hope your strides went well!!

scotty -- crazy weather!!  We're having a normal fall so far, with a constant temp slide towards winter.  

Oatmeal ... I don't eat it too often.  But the best is when you make it with a packet of hot chocolate mix and then add peanut butter.  It tastes like warm no-bake cookies!!  

Zelanie -- woo-hoo for your obstacle course workout!!

kj -- glad you had a good time at the 10k!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

tracilynn

Mitch, I want to do the challenge but I'm scared. LOL.

we need a team of 4 will cost $100 so $25 each. We have to run 2 miles eat a dozen doughnuts (so 3 each) and then run 2 miles back in under 1 hour.  If we meet all that then we all get the COVETED t shirt. Ha.   If one person on the team can't eat their doughnuts then the rest of us have to eat the extra. If one person doesn't make it across in the one hour none of us get the TSHIRT.

The scary part is the puking. Tight lipsThey even have trash cans all along the route to puke in. I've also heard people don't make it and you have to dodge puke piles. I'm afraid if I see Puke or someone puking then my stomach will turn Deadand I won't be able to eat my doughnuts.

~~~~~~~

Traci