Beginners and Beyond

Being a Thursday Penguin isn't easy (Read 23 times)

PADRunner

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!).

"The only easy day was yesterday." - US Navy Seals Motto

PADRunner

4 more this morning. 80 at 5 am dew point and humidity in the mid 60s. Not as bad as it could be this time of year.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I just finished Pilates and I have 6 miles later.

PAD, August has been OK for us as well.  Nothing in the 100s so far in the last 7 days but I know that will change.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Bin Running

Morning PAD & Damaris.

8.5 done with 4x1M @10k. Wanted to do 5 sets but this is too tough. Maybe can get it done next week

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens.

We are back from Mammoth and I am already back to school. I have not been running much (20 mpw) and am part of the walking wounded. I have several things bothering me that I just can't seem to get rid of. When it rains it pours and I can't remember being this frustrated and annoyed. The latest setback is piriformis trouble. I have a HM in three weeks that I signed up for months ago. My original goal was to run a sub 1:32 but that is completely out the window. DW is running the marathon that day and that is the only reason I'm going. Sorry for the pity party.  I hope everyone is well.

Werd.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Had an appointment at orthopedics this morning for my knee. So I got up at 5 a.m.  and went to Fort Sam Houston and put in 3.5 miles, followed by my post-run/walk stretching.  Daggone, it was humid outside, in the 90 percentile range!  Our temp yestersday finally hit 100 degrees, actual temp, for the first time this summer - we've been so lucky because last summer we had 20+ days that hit 100 - and today we will probably hit 100 again, so the morning started out with all that flippin' humidity and high dew-point.  I was drenched by the time I finished my run/walk.

Cooled of in the air-conditioned gym, then took my shower, and went to my appointment, which was conveniently only 3 miles from the gym at Brook Army Medical Center. Doc told me my knee looked basically okay - no torn anything - but did have some more degeneration in there and some more arthritis.  So he said.."I'll give you an injection today...."

Ummm, yeah, that felt SOOOO good.    But I've had this before and I know for me, it does help, so no worries.  Knee will be sore today - so I'm glad I ran this morning - and tomorrow and by Saturday it will be feeling much better!  Nice timing, since I have a 5K on Saturday, but I won't push it - I usually don't anyway, lol.  Just go out and do my usual "have fun" thing.

Wow, Damaris did pilates in the morning...the world might come off its axis!     Hope your temps do avoid the century mark, Damaris!  As said above, San Antonio for this summer has been very lucky!

Way to get the sets in, Bin.  Sorry about set 5, but hey, tough workout...you'll build up and get there!

PAD, your dew-point sounds like ours down here just a few days ago. Mother Nature now has zapped those right out of existence here and we are back to 70+ dewpoint.

Sorry about all your body aches, Jack!   I can imagine it is DANG (sorry about the strong language ) frustrating!  Hope you can find the key that will get you back to 100 percent!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

Sorry, Jack!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Scotty, the heat index is 99F right now so we will get to the 100s by 2pm.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Brilliant

Good morning, Penguins!

Nice running, PAD & Bin.

Damaris, happy running tonight.

Jack, sorry you're feeling bad (I had to look up piriformis). Sad  Take it easy.

Scotty, sorry about your shot but I'm glad it will be worth it. Smile

I'm still a little congested and went out for 4.6 this morning.  I neglected to use my inhaler for exercise- induced asthma...which only flares up under certain conditions...apparently recovering from a cold is one of them.  I did fine on the run, but as soon as I got home I started gasping and coughing which kind of freaked out the family until I could get in a couple of puffs on the inhaler.  So, I learned something new today!  I'll be using the dang inhaler as long as the sniffling lasts.

hog4life

Hey jack, don't sweat it, your 20 mpw is better than my 00.0 mpw.  I've got my appointment with the Dr tomorrow. My leg actually feels like it's getting worse. My running is done for the fall, and I will be starting all over at some point. ........BUT, there is something good happening this month that I'll share later.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Hey jack, don't sweat it, your 20 mpw is better than my 00.0 mpw.  I've got my appointment with the Dr tomorrow. My leg actually feels like it's getting worse. My running is done for the fall, and I will be starting all over at some point. ........BUT, there is something good happening this month that I'll share later.

Sorry to hear about your leg problems, Mitch!   Hope you have a speedier-than-expected recovery!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Am I in the Health and Nutrition forum?  Feel better scott, Jack, Brilliant, Mitch and anyone else too ill to post.

Running RD for Us.  70 floors on the stairclimber at the health club, a few strength machines, a haircut, and 3 mile walk with DW.

This post is between me and my beer/nap on the deck, so have a great evening, Pengs.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Am I in the Health and Nutrition forum?  Feel better scott, Jack, Brilliant, Mitch and anyone else too ill to post.

Running RD for Us.  70 floors on the stairclimber at the health club, a few strength machines, a haircut, and 3 mile walk with DW.

This post is between me and my beer/nap on the deck, so have a great evening, Pengs.

Yes you are!  Wanna hear about my enlarged prostate too? 

Robert31320

Team TJ

That's not good news, Mitch.  Hope it's not actually getting wose.

Hope you get healed up fairly quick, Jack.

Running for TJ because he can't.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Yes you are!  Wanna hear about my enlarged prostate too? 

Sure, tell us about the exam....