Beginners and Beyond

2014 Haltom Stampede 5k (Read 46 times)

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Race Morning:

Temps around 30F w/ 8mph breeze - high humidity but decent weather.

Pre-race:

2+ mile warm-up + strides and additional dynamics.

Race:

5k - 3rd overall, Masters Winner - 18:13.7  - 40 second PR

(was aiming for 17.xx - but as coach informed me - good race, 5k pace is above my current steady state and is a challenge during HM training.  But good practice.)

Mile 1 - 5:26

Aside from a fast start, I held 10-20 seconds over my target pace for the first complete mile. Felt amazing for 0.5 and held back a bit from what I felt like running. I was intentionally intending to bank a little time on the *slight* downhill for the slowdown on the *slight* uphill and mile 2.

Mile 2 - 6:01

Started feeling the loss of power shortly after the 1 mile mark, but kept at my target pace until 1.4, then hit a complete loss of *uumphff*. Dropped 1 min off my 1st mile pace.

Mile 3 - 6:06

Feeling gassed a bit, but my legs feel better and I slowly kick up my pace from mile 2-3. (6:26  to 5:57)

Mile 3.1 - 0:43

Last push, Not a ton of spring in the legs, but I do get a bit of a boost and hit just  a couple of seconds above my initial goal pace. Finishing at a 5:45.

Initially, both happy and disappointing at the race.  It was a good race and 'fun', the leaders finished in 15.42 and 16.24, so I wasn't where I wanted to be, but based off of coaches comments and analyzing my projected race times, I did well.

DD:

DW paced DD for a hard run 5k

She did awesome - 2 miles straight a short walk break and then finish straight.

29:10 finish time and 1st place 10 an under!

Post race cool down:

0.75 miles (only until I backtracked to find the girls)

Congratulations on the race.  Those buffaloes are some kick-@ss trophies that you and your DD earned.

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

Hip Redux

Damn, now that's a trophy!  Congrats on the PR and Master's win!

LRB

Nice way to hang in there after that blistering first mile.  I understand the bittersweet aspect to it but you put it in its proper perspective.  All in all, that is a pretty impressive haul for the fam!

PADRunner

Damn!

Nice race, Sly.  (And dw and dd).  Did anyone push your pace or were you solidly in 3rd?

Cool trophies!

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Thanks!

Jay, I was solid in 3rd.  By 1.5, the second place had about 25-30 seconds lead and growing.

I knew 4th was behind and around 10 seconds ( I took 1 glance at that point when I hit a sharp turn. So I was hell bent to not let him catch up, but he wasnt close enough to really pressure me.

As far as I found out places 1-6 were settled by the time we hit 3/4 mile.

Add:

oh and I guess I can update my 1 mile time Wink

Old was 5:44. I imagine I can get close to a 5 flat if all

I had to do was a single mile. (As I mentioned i felt great and held back a bit in that first mile)

Love the Half

It's common in smaller races for places to be pretty much set by Mile 1.  With that 18:13, looks like I have some work to do to catch up .  

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Dang, a 40 second pr in a 5k?! Sly, that is SMOKIN' fast!!!

Just B.S.

Wowzers you are fast! Congrats to you and wife and DD!!

Your buffalo trophy could kick my cow trophy's ass. Smile

LRB

Add:

oh and I guess I can update my 1 mile time Wink

Old was 5:44. I imagine I can get close to a 5 flat if all I had to do was a single mile. (As I mentioned i felt great and held back a bit in that first mile)

Is that distance readily available in your area?  I am lucky to get three or four 'round these parts, although there are probably more, I just have not hooked up with the right crew yet.

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Ill be heading toward sub 17 as soon as I get thru HM training & goal race. ( w mucho work!!)

LRB

Not many mile races around here. Unless you count untimed fun runs. And it just isn't much competition against kids.

LRB

And it just isn't much competition against kids.

I know, it sucks standing there with all them little kids screaming and jumping around.  All you ever want is for at least one other adult to step up and toe the line!

I am grateful to have two straight up mile events here, and am looking to talk some of my running peeps into showing up at a couple of others.

Rondog65

A double WOW, to you and your DD.  That is some impressive running and great trophies to show for it!!

Ron's PRs 5K 24:14 (12/07/2013); Half Marathon 1:53:33 (5/26/2013)

SheCan

Whoa, you're fast!  Congratulations on the amazing PR and the 3rd overall Masters win!  Love the trophies;  certainly something you and the DD would be proud to display.  Congratulations to your daughter's 1st place win.  Somebody sure takes after their dad!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson