Beginners and Beyond

Cheating (Read 299 times)

notimeforthat

Not even. Lance himself  last night that he never worried about testing positive because in his day, they only regularly tested at races, and at races everyone was clean. He believed it was just about impossible to get caught.

He did this with a psychopathic smirk on his face, but that's another story. After listening to the interview, I am pretty much convinced the guy is a legit psychopath.

According to a good friend of mine that I train with, who happens to be a psychologist..."I saw a very sick man last night".

She is right. He has just scratched the surface on what he is going to have to delve into before he is truly able to change.

I predict he will get quite defensive when he realizes that this interview doesn't fix things. Once he is able to realize, truly realize, what he did and how it impacted others and be vulnerable enough to see himself honestly....that is when he will be able to change. Should he want to.

Not even. Lance himself  last night that he never worried about testing positive because in his day, they only regularly tested at races, and at races everyone was clean. He believed it was just about impossible to get caught.

He did this with a psychopathic smirk on his face, but that's another story. After listening to the interview, I am pretty much convinced the guy is a legit psychopath.

This was the conversation I had with my husband last night, who was confused when I called Armstrong a textbook psychopath.  He thought psycopath meant a criminal, serial killer.  I told him there are many different types of psychopaths out there, some who are raised in relatively supportive, loving households and grow up to be the successful CEO's, Insurance Sales Executives, and Lance Armstrongs of the world.

RSX

The real surprise to me about the interview was how cold he is. I was never a fan so rarely watched much about him previously. I wasn't expecting tears, but it didn't sound like much remorse other than he wouldn't have bothered telling the truth if he didn't get caught. In pro sports a lot of athletes have been accused of cheating without being caught in a positive test, but I can't recall any of them suing their accusers and/or ruining their lives.

I am curious where the stuff came from, and how high up the chain it went as far as knowledge. He obviously lied to organizations, but I don't know if he committed perjury. If so I hope the justice system comes after him.

Weezer88

He cheated and he got caught. End of story and it happens in other sports as well.

Is it justified? - No

I AM WEEZER.

aponi

never runs the tangents

I remember starting out in public accounting and being told two things:

1. you will be fired if you pad your hours (work off the clock to hit a time budget)

2. you will be fired if you do not hit your time budgets

Guess what 99% of first year accountants do and for far less than $10M too.

so it goes

I refused, got laid off, and am much happier now working in industry where obviously I have more downtime.

“Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan!” Doctor Who

Gator eye

I guess I'm a competitive jerk, if I had the talent and was one click away from millions and the winners circle, and i thought I could get away with it, I would be right there with my sleeve rolled up.

Even money says with every one of LA wins the top 5 to 10 spots were all held by dopers.

Oh and for all you wondering, I ve never cheated on my wife (never cheated on my ex wive either) and you can't prove nothing on my taxes.

Shakedown Street

Would you cheat if cheating meant Crow and not cheating meant ?  I would.

Let me fix that.

Started-5/12, RWOL refugee,5k-24:23 (1/12/13),10K-55:37(9/15/12),HM-1:52:59(3/24/13)

RabbitChaser

Here's Lauren Fleshman's take on LA and cheating. I thought it fit nicely in this thread.

notimeforthat

Yeah, I read her letter/blog thingy.

I realize she means well but people need to wake up and realize that using PED's is present in Masters athletes, AG triathlon, cycling, swimming, running, pick a sport...

I can think of 5 people right this very minute that are local Cat 2 or Cat 3 that went to a NP locally and got the exemption for "low T" and race.

This is far more present in athletics that people care to realize. Heck, when my husband raced at Masters Nats in TT a few years ago, the top guy was busted 3 years later and stripped of all titles for using testosterone. He was caught with a positive out of competition sample.

He had a job, he raced bikes as a Masters athlete and now is a laughing stock. BTW, he was also every bit as arrogant as Armstrong.

Bottom line: She can get all bothered by Armstrong, but the reality is she should start writing a lot of letters if she intends to berate others into retirement over PED use.

Love the Half

"There will still be pro athletes who are reluctant to speak up, but to them I will say this: For every cheater, there are 99 of us doing it right."

That's a quote from Lauren Fleshman.  Now I'm certainly no professional athlete and I will never be remotely close to competitive on even a regional level let alone a national or world level but I'm guessing that the percentage of professional athletes taking some kind of PED or doing blood doping or doing something other than eating a healthy diet is significantly higher than 1%.  There is just too much money at stake not to want to run a tenth of a second faster or to be able to lift five more pounds.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

notimeforthat

As I was lying in bed this a.m. after getting up with the boy wonder because he is vomiting (hopefully the other kids won't fall ill), I was thinking about the 2nd interview that I saw last night.

Here is what I came up with:

Our culture has become one of " ____________(fill in the blank) at all costs". You can insert "win", "find happiness", "succeed", "be yourself"

I could go on, but you get the idea. The point: When people are willing to do anything at the expense of others, they exhibit the same traits that Armstrong did.

So when you say "I am not happy, I am going to find someone else to make me happy, I will do what I need to do to find happiness"....and leave a wake of people behind you that are devastated, you are creating a situation that is no different that what Lance did to supporters and family/friends. Albeit, his was on a far grander scale, but the mindset is the same. Me.Me.Me.

When Madoff, Martha Stewart, Bill Clinton, and other famous people that did what they wanted at all costs it had fall out.

When the everyday man/woman chooses to do as they please at the expense of others, it has fall out.

People seem to not want to realize that and own it for what it is until AFTER the make their choices. Perhaps if we spent less time online and more time in relationship with the people around us, those decisions would be different, perhaps not.

....and Scott Mercier just confirmed it.

Chairman

"There will still be pro athletes who are reluctant to speak up, but to them I will say this: For every cheater, there are 99 of us doing it right."

That's a quote from Lauren Fleshman.  Now I'm certainly no professional athlete and I will never be remotely close to competitive on even a regional level let alone a national or world level but I'm guessing that the percentage of professional athletes taking some kind of PED or doing blood doping or doing something other than eating a healthy diet is significantly higher than 1%.  There is just too much money at stake not to want to run a tenth of a second faster or to be able to lift five more pounds.

No there isn't. The truth is outside of the big mainstream sports, barely the top 1% of athletes make any significant money (i.e., more money than they could earn as a cubicle dweller in the corporate world). This is especially true for distance runners. If you want an interesting piece on the matter, find Amy Yoder Begeley's recent essay on sponsorship.

Coalition for a Free and Independent New Jersey

Anomalous

I'm sure Lance isn't/wasn't the only one. He just got caught. I really have no opinion about him as a person, but his actions were disappointing considering the people who he inspired. Just goes to show that it's best to find the hero in yourself or maybe someone close to you.

Half Fanatic  #3091  ~   Marathon debut: 11/16/13 Anthem Richmond Marathon

"Run from what’s comfortable. Forget safety. Live where you fear to live. Destroy your reputation. Be notorious." - Rumi

MrNamtor

I'm not taking Lance's side, but I do think, without knowing for sure, that his despicable personality traits mentioned by people in this thread (his coldness, his ruthlessness, some other things that indicate that he's a psychopath etc) are probably traits shared by the majority of people at the top of any field. Probably Mother Teresa had these traits in order to be at the top of the charity founder/saint profession.

MrNamtor

I'm sure Lance isn't/wasn't the only one. He just got caught. I really have no opinion about him as a person, but his actions were disappointing considering the people who he inspired. Just goes to show that it's best to find the hero in yourself or maybe someone close to you.

Show me a hero and I'll write you a tragedy - F.Scott Fitzgerald