Beginners and Beyond

disregard (Read 84 times)

Nevrgivup

\

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

onemile

Why did you delete this?

happylily

Hilary, why? I read your thoughtful post and wanted to take some time to reply with a thoughtful answer. Maybe people are working at the moment and it's hard to concentrate and write something that we hope will be meaningful. That is why sometimes it takes time before we see replies coming in... You should repost if you can. It was a very valid commentary based on your own experience.

I guess what I really wanted to say was that I am glad that you freed yourself of running if running was actually bringing you pain and difficulty functioning. We all love running. But a slave of it I never want to become. Maybe if you forget about it for a while, your body will have time to get stronger through other physical activities, and someday, you will wake up and a good run will be waiting for you. Let it come to you and live your life happily until then. 

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

LRB

Yeah I am work and completely missed it.  Stupid job.

Nevrgivup

Not sure. I guess I felt vulnerable after putting it out there. 

Nevrgivup

Hilary, why? I read your thoughtful post and wanted to take some time to reply with a thoughtful answer. Maybe people are working at the moment and it's hard to concentrate and write something that we hope will be meaningful. That is why sometimes it takes time before we see replies coming in... You should repost if you can. It was a very valid commentary based on your own experience.

I guess what I really wanted to say was that I am glad that you freed yourself of running if running was actually bringing you pain and difficulty functioning. We all love running. But a slave of it I never want to become. Maybe if you forget about it for a while, your body will have time to get stronger through other physical activities, and someday, you will wake up and a good run will be waiting for you. Let it come to you and live your life happily until then. 

No no. This is far from the truth. All I said was that its ok to accept change sometimes as hard as it can be. Thanks for your thoughtful post though. I truly think that being in the house for a week, not running, and coming off all the drugs from anesthesia and pain meds has made me crazy. LOL. Trying to find humor in this.

happylily

Not sure. I guess I felt vulnerable after putting it out there. 

I understand the feeling, (((Hilary))).

But I think that you wrote wise words. Many of us think it's the end of the world when we are unable to run because of illness or injuries. But for our own welfare, we really should learn to let go. Life is like that, it's not just about running...

happylily

No no. This is far from the truth. All I said was that its ok to accept change sometimes as hard as it can be. Thanks for your thoughtful post though. I truly think that being in the house for a week, not running, and coming off all the drugs from anesthesia and pain meds has made me crazy. LOL. Trying to find humor in this.

Yes, by freeing yourself, I meant learning to accept changes. :-)

Nevrgivup

Yes, by freeing yourself, I meant learning to accept changes. :-)

I understand now.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I am not sure what you posted, Hilary, but I've had a lot of revelations about running through NOT running, and not all of them were positive.  Someday I will put all my thoughts down here or in a blog post or something.  Keep sharing yours if you feel comfortable.  We will listen! 

Running is dumb.

Nevrgivup

I am not sure what you posted, Hilary, but I've had a lot of revelations about running through NOT running, and not all of them were positive.  Someday I will put all my thoughts down here or in a blog post or something.  Keep sharing yours if you feel comfortable.  We will listen! 

Thank you Mandy. Its amazing the highs and lows that have come this past week. I'm just glad I'm not out in public.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Thank you Mandy. Its amazing the highs and lows that have come this past week. I'm just glad I'm not out in public.

Don't worry, in six weeks I will be having those crazy highs and lows and you'll be outside going for walks!

Running is dumb.

Nevrgivup

I decided to bake some brownies. That should make me feel a bit better. 

onemile

I started reading your post but didn't get a chance to finish it.  I think it's a worthwhile subject to talk about though. I mean, for most of us, we, at some point, will have to accept that we no longer can run the way that we used to or the way that we'd like to. whether that is due to aging or injury.  And even if it's temporary, it can be sort of hard to deal with.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Well now I want to know what it said! This is the first time I got on here this morning!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to