Beginners and Beyond

Gu & gels....do you NEED to take with water? (Read 150 times)

slowrunningjulie

I will sometimes do the gu with out water.  I usually eat the chocolate outrage and find they taste like a chocolate bar.  I don't eat much chocolate so I really kind of look forward to them.  I think your going to have to try it and find out for yourself.  We are all an experiement of one.

+ 1. I love the Chocolate Outrage GU. They are like a little treat during my run.

Upcoming:

July 27 - San Francisco marathon

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Chocolate and Coffee are my preferred GU.

I have taken them without water, but it sure helps to have a little to wash the residue down.

LRB

I ran two marathons without gels but will try them for my next one.  The one thing I will not do though is try a gel with caffeine.  I tried that during a training run and that crap jacked me up...in a bad way!

ks1g

Water is not mandatory for me, but helps to wash them down and to wash off the gu that you ended up wearing tearing the package open.  I use water or recently, Skratch labs mix (about the only sports mix I've found that I want to drink more of).

"What does not kill me makes me stronger" (some dead philosopher)

"But you'd be surprised what you can live through!" (The Genie, Disney's Aladdin 2)

PR:  5K: 28:01 (2/10/13), 10K: 58:21 (6/2/13) ;10M: 1:38:28 (3/3/13) HM: 2:08;58 (3/24/13)

2013 Schedule

Run Your Heart Out 5K 2/10 (Reston, VA)

Reston 10 Miler 3/3

Runner's Half Marathon (Reston VA) 3/24

Herndon Festival 10K (6/2)

...next ???

Hipfan

Proud Calgarian

I've never taken them with water yet, not much affects my stomach - if it is true that they take up much water, then maybe I'll just take an extra cup as I go then to chug afterwards.

2015 Goals and PRs:

5k - 17:59 (18:05);  10k - 35:59 (36:42);   HM - 1:19:19 (1:19:59);   FM - 2:49:59 (3:05:46)

Docket_Rocket

I've taken gels without water and when I take one I usually take a sip of water only.  Sometimes the next water station is more than a mile away so I just eat it and drink water when I can.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

jmctav23

2/3rds training

snow works in a pinch, but not the yellow kind; or the extra salty roadside grey kind.