Beginners and Beyond

Thursday Penguins Run For Life - Not From It! (Read 32 times)

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Good Morning Penguins!

Philliefan - I am curious about the RW plan - glad you are having good luck with it!

As for me - I ran an easy 4 yesterday.  Today will be 6 or so with hill sprints.

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Gustav - Good morning!  Enjoy those hills.

Phillie - That sounds like a promising plan.  I can't wait to hear how the race goes.

AFM - I don't have a lot of mile left to run this week.  So, I took yesterday off.  It snowed a bit yesterday, and I woke up to snow again this morning.  Interesting.  It's not even Halloween.  Oh well, that happens from time to time in Indiana.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Bin Running

Gustav, enjoy the 6 with hills later

Awood, snowing already? After the Marathon, I guess you next plan is to be the best decorated house on the street, right? Wink Say, did you win the contest last year? I remember you have tons of light going on.

12.6M MLR done.. Slow @ 10:40

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Last training run complete! Bring on the race! Ok, to be honest that's fake enthusiasm. I don't know what my deal is but I'm just not looking forward to the race. I'm looking forward to the time off afterward. Yikes.

Anyway...

Hope'sMom - didn't you ask about the recipe for Chicken Taco Soup? It's here a little ways down the page. The Chicken Taco Soup is better than the Chicken Tortilla Soup. We make it with broth instead of beer.

Happy running, everyone!

Philliefan33

Good morning everyone.

SRD for me, unless I decide to do tomorrow's run today.  Decisions, decisions.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Happy October 24th!

Today's Holidays:

National Good n Plenty Day - How many of you remember this stuff.  Is it even still around? Good & Plenty was first produced by the Quaker City Confectionery Company of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in 1893 and is the oldest branded candy in the United States. In 1950, a cartoon character named "Choo-Choo Charlie" appeared in Good & Plenty. Charlie would shake a box of the candy in a circular motion, imitating a train's pushrods and making a sound like a train and say "Good n Plenty, Good n Plenty, Good n Plenty, woooo woooo!"  How many of you old-timers like me remember that commercial?

National Bologna Day - Bologna is a cooked, smoked sausage made of beef, pork, or a mixture of the two meats. The history of bologna traces back to a city in Italy called Bologna. Traders that passed through the village would have picked up the sausage in Bologna, therefore the city became identified with the sausage. The history of bologna is traced back to the mid 1400’s when these traders were discovering the sausage. By the nineteenth century in England and America bologna had become the generic name for any type of pork sausage.  Today, Bologna meat can contain a wide range of ingredients which vary by manufacturer. In general, bologna contains meat such as pork or chicken, and is combined with water, corn syrup, food starch, and spices. Soy protein, preservatives, and other ingredients may be added. And Oscar Mayer company made a wildly popular commercial jingle - --"My bologna has a first name, it's O-s-c-a-r. My bologna has a second name, it's M-a-y-e-r," - that made its initial appearance in a television ad in 1973.

United Nations Day - UN Day marks the anniversary of the entry into force in 1945 of the UN Charter.

Pharmacy Buyer Day - A day recognizing the work done by the pharmacy buyer. These people perform the job of making sure their pharmacies have needed medication and supplies so that pharmacists and technicians can provide quality health care to the public.

candies cartoons, candies cartoon, funny, candies picture, candies pictures, candies image, candies images, candies illustration, candies illustrations

KEYWORD1  1996-03-15  work  workplace  workplaces  job  jobs  employment  employee  employees

United Nations cartoons, United Nations cartoon, funny, United Nations picture, United Nations pictures, United Nations image, United Nations images, United Nations illustration, United Nations illustrations

United Nation cartoons, United Nation cartoon, United Nation picture, United Nation pictures, United Nation image, United Nation images, United Nation illustration, United Nation illustrations

KEYWORD1  2009-11-21  doctor  doctors  physician  physicians  doctor’s office  do

KEYWORD1  2008-04-11  medical  medicine  health  healthcare  health care  drug  drugs  pharmaceutica

pharmacy cartoons, pharmacy cartoon, funny, pharmacy picture, pharmacy pictures, pharmacy image, pharmacy images, pharmacy illustration, pharmacy illustrations

pharmacy cartoons, pharmacy cartoon, funny, pharmacy picture, pharmacy pictures, pharmacy image, pharmacy images, pharmacy illustration, pharmacy illustrations

pharmacist cartoons, pharmacist cartoon, funny, pharmacist picture, pharmacist pictures, pharmacist image, pharmacist images, pharmacist illustration, pharmacist illustrations

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Hello Penguins!  It will be a 'cool' 80 degrees today in San Antonio after work.  That is Fall weather for us, lol. I am heading out to a local park to check it out as this is where my 5K will be on Saturday.   This is a relatively new park so have not run here yet, get to explore new territory.  I also think as I get older I am getting more and more brain dumps, lol.   I could've sworn I had 3 races this weekend, a 5K on Saturday, a 5K on Sunday, and a 5K Sunday night.  However the night-time Trick or Treat 5K is actually on the evening of Halloween.  Duhhhhh..

Good luck with the hill sprints, Gustav.  Do you ever take a rest day?

SNOW?!!!   Already, Awood?  I have a 4-letter word for you:  M-O-V-E!  Big grin

Congrats on your miles, Bin.  10:40 is NOT slow from some people's perspective...like ACTUALLY slow me, lol.

Mickey, I bet you get to your race and do much better than you anticipate!  Good luck!

Happy SRD, Margo...or maybe not. Wink

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Good Morning,

I've been sick the past few days...just a cold, but haven't felt well enough to run.  On Saturday I ran 5 miles with a new running partner and it was one of the best runs I've ever had.  She is almost exactly at the same pace as me and has a much better cadence/stride (not sure if those are the right words) but when I tried to match her footing striking pattern, it made running easier for me.  Does that make sense?  The 5 miles felt like a breeze and I knew I could've kept going much longer.

This weekend is the MCM10k.  I haven't run since the saturday 5 miles because of being sick...what's your advice for what I shoudl til Sundays' 10k? Run 2-3 today and saturday? That's what I was thinking.

MNMickey--once your at the start line, you'll be feeling much more excited!

tracilynn

me. Ha. 

~~~~~~~

Traci

hog4life

Ken, I would say don't run the day before the race, but that's just me. Some people like doing shake out runs the day before.

Traci, I ordered some pics from the 15k, I can't believe they were only $1 each(I got the small ones). Nice shirt!

Snow is okay with me, just not all these other crazy ass people here in Alabama.  Another RD, unless GS want to do a couple. Time for a nap, talk at y'all later.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  3-5 miles tonight.

Swamped today so I'll be back later.

Love that shirt, Traci!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Zelanie

Good morning!  Social run tonight.

Gustav- To answer your question on the other thread, I like to pad my quality workouts with easy miles.  I never feel warmed up until I've run about 2 miles anyway, and then afterwards, if I've done a couple of recovery laps, I usually find myself feeling pretty good and can run some easy miles.

Awood- Woo for tapering well!

Bin- Good job getting the miles done.

Mickey- I hope you have a great time at the race anyway!

Margo- Enjoy your run or rest. Smile

Scotty- Hope the new park is great!

kjtd- I think 2-3 today and Saturday sounds perfect.  Just enough so that the legs remember what to do.

Traci- Funny!

Mitch- Enjoy the day.

Damaris- Hope you have some good miles later!

lewjeffrey

Morning! I was hoping to run today, but after waking up at 3 with the newborn and 4 with the preschooler I had no energy at 5 to make it out the door for my run.  Me thinks this will be a four cup of coffee day.

Traci - that shirt works!

awood - where in Indiana do you live?  My parents live in South Bend and I did time in Muncie and Bloomington before moving out east.

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  My tech was kind enough to handle my 4-hour poster session today, so I can go to my faculty meeting at 12:30.  Then I have seminar at 3:30, so it's basically a meeting sort of day.  It's all good.  Chorus rehearsal tonight, Halloween and Christmas music!!  I think it was Ginny who said yesterday that Christmas music is easier to learn because it's familiar ... not necessarily!!  I'm singing harmony on most of the songs, so although I may know the words, I definitely don't know the notes!  Good times, though, and sometimes I can bust out harmony when Christmas music is playing at the mall or someplace like that, which is always fun.

Gustav -- have fun with the hills!!

Awood -- yeah, it seems winter is hitting early and kind of forcefully.  It was 35 here this morning.

Bin -- slow days are ok too!!

Mickey -- thanks for the recipe!!  It sounds yummy, and DH is always up for crock pot recipes.  We're having pot roast tonight ...

Phillie -- have a good SRD or run, whichever you decide!!

scotty -- It's because your brain is already so full, so things sort of leak out.  Right?

kj -- awesome for you and your new running friend!!

traci -- awesome shirt!!

hog -- good morning, have a good RD!!

Docket -- hope you get un-swamped!!

Zelanie -- have a good social run!!

lew -- that would definitely call for more coffee!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.