Beginners and Beyond

Race times in sigs (Read 260 times)

daisymae25

Squidward Bike Rider

It doesn't bother me at all (heck, I don't really pay much attention, to be honest).  I personally don't do it, but whatever floats your boat.  Besides, PR's are accessible from someone's log anyway if one were really interested in seeing them.

Love the Half

Nearly everyone brags.  People frame college degrees and put them up on the wall of their office.  If your kid wins an award, you stick that up in some public place rather than just in the kid's room.  Folks put bumper stickers on their cars touting that they supported or didn't support some political candidate and they leave them on the cars long, long, long, long, long after the election is over.  Sure it's bragging but it's no different from any other bragging we all do.  BTW:

5K - 18:38

10K - 39:38

HM - 1:25:58

Charleston Distance Run - 1:43:50

Marathon:  3:08:31

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I'd rather see your race times, than your stick figure family on the back of your car.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

happylily

There are people who get annoyed by any damn thing, like the wind blowing, birds chirping or even green grass.

I personally couldn't care less what a person does with their online account.  For me to consider it bragging would mean that I have  judged them.  Something that is completely impossible when you don't know someone.

Are you talking to me? I still think that was mean! Big grin

But definitely +100 to that

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

paulski66

miscreant

As long as I don't have to look at man-junk and muffin tops, I'm good...

I'm happy, hope you're happy too...

happylily

Muffin tops are the best part of the muffin, didn't you know that?

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

RSX

I barely notice them with most folks so am not bothered by them. I probably notice more where people are racing. If I posted mine, some would be from the 80's and others from 10 years ago.

Another question though, are you more likely to listen to advice from someone who has a fast time in their signature?

Do you value the opinion of the sub 20 5K runner more than the 30 minute 5ker?

Depends. If it's training advice - specifically running, workout, or racing advice - then, yeah, I'm inclined to give weight to the faster runner. But there's all kinds of things (stretching, nutrition, weights, injury, recovery) that runners of all sorts might have good insight on. There's plenty of great stuff I've gotten from some very experienced folks who I happen to be a bit faster than come race day.

As for whether or not the times are in your sig - makes no difference to me. If a log is public, I check it. That's where all the gold is. Private logs drive me bonkers. I know those who don't open 'em up have their reasons, but if you really want help or you really want to help others, that's where the good stuff is...

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                  We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

Muffin tops are the best part of the muffin, didn't you know that?

LOL +1

I didn't really see anyone specifically claim posting race times was bragging. I saw someone making disparaging comments about someone else's race time, primarily to be insulting and to bait that person. And that person took the bait & responded, and there was an argument about posting race times, how offensive it is to ridicule them, and whether someone could beat someone else in a race that will never happen. However this was not really a discussion about race times, it was just people seeing how much they could piss each other off.

So in any case it really seems to be a non-issue, as demonstrated by most of the posts on this (more rational) thread. It's a running forum, people talk about all aspects of running, and race time is one of them, which happens to be concise enough to be captured in a sig line. And yeah it is bragging a little, as everone who posts them worked hard to achieve them.

Dave

Hip Redux

This is a running forum, right?   I think PRs are relevant to multiple types of conversation threads (like giving advice or seeing the training log of someone with similar times...) and we all should be proud of the effort we put in to get those times.

What I don't get is people then using those times to judge people harshly or create some sort of heirachy based on speed. Healthy competition is one thing and that's fine, but you know... it still is just running at the end of the day.  Smile   

Hip Redux

LOL +1

I didn't really see anyone specifically claim posting race times was bragging. I saw someone making disparaging comments about someone else's race time, primarily to be insulting and to bait that person. And that person took the bait & responded, and there was an argument about posting race times, how offensive it is to ridicule them, and whether someone could beat someone else in a race that will never happen. However this was not really a discussion about race times, it was just people seeing how much they could piss each other off.

So in any case it really seems to be a non-issue, as demonstrated by most of the posts on this (more rational) thread. It's a running forum, people talk about all aspects of running, and race time is one of them, which happens to be concise enough to be captured in a sig line. And yeah it is bragging a little, as everone who posts them worked hard to achieve them.

Well stated, Dave!

Philliefan33

I'm slow and I know it.  But I post race times in my sig because:

1) The times are a significant accomplishment for me.  Hell, just being able to run more than one mile was a significant accomplishment for me.

2)  On the off chance that seeing the slow times in my sig will help a newer forum member feel that they will be welcome here.  When I first found the BF over on RWOL, it was a bit imtimidating to see that "beginners" were talking about running marathons.  WTH?? I came looking for advice on getting through C25K and there are people talking about running marathons?  But I stuck around long enough to find out that there are all kinds of runners here, and for the most part it is a supportive group.

3)  If you speedsters are having a bad day  you can get a nice ego boost by laughing at my times.

delicate flower

I don't care to put my times in my signature.  If someone cares that much, they can check the PR section of my log.  I think people here have a pretty good idea what kind of runner I am sans the PR sig.  That said, I don't see it as bragging, and even if some was bragging, so what.   Put them there, don't put them there...I don't mind either way.

<3

Docket_Rocket

+ 1

LOL +1

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

robinde

IMHO, you shouldn't do or not do things based on what one or two people you "know" from the internet say.  Put whatever you want in your siggie for whatever reason you want.  If you aren't bragging, you know that.  Does it matter what someone else interprets it to mean?