Beginners and Beyond

Moo-Shu Monday Penguins! (Read 42 times)

TooStupidToStop

Rach^

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." Wink It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

TooStupidToStop

Rach^

Just because it's Monday ... doesn't mean we can't do the happy dance!

Not that I have the day off or anything, but just trying to pass on the good vibes! Today I have a PT session after work. Hopefully after the last few days of resting, my legs will feel better.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day!

Bin Running

That's early, Rach.. Thanks for the dancing Pengs..

Started 5am and a little stoned now.. Waiting to knock off and do a little bit of errand..

10M with 5 @ HMP on tap.. Yes.. it's on the indoor track..

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Dad on the run.

Hello my fellow early bir... penguins, hope you are having a great Monday! I'm on night shift and have been up since 7am and I don't get off work until 5am. 23 hours with no sleep! HECK YEA! Sad

Ginny - in regards to your statement lastnight. My legs were a little sore but I didn't get to ride very long as it was getting late by the time they got the horses rounded up and saddled. We are going back Saturday and making a whole day out of it though so I'm sure I'll be really nice and sore then.

All - I have decided that I'm not running the Mercedes HM. I don't feel like I'm ready for it and I've been dealing with a ongoing "side-of-my-knee-hoping-its-not-a-IT Band-issue" since Sunday when I ran my 10 miler. So I'm going to look and find something 3-6 months out and plan to run that HM and get some 5k and 10k races in between that time.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Good Morning Rach, Bin, Jblackjr, and others soon to follow !

Did my 1.75 mile run already. Later today Vo2 max intervals on the bike trainer.

Have a Happy Day Penguins!

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Rach - 12:30 AM?  LOL...you must be adjusting to the time difference.

Bin - That sounds like quite the run for a Monday.  Have a good one.

jblack - Good to see you around more often again.  I think you're making the right choice on the HM.  A HM can be a great experience, but I'm sure that if you aren't ready for it, it can be a really rough one too.  I think you'll enjoy it much more when you're ready for it.

Gustav - Sounds like a great plan as usual.  How's everything feeling?

AFM - My training has been going so well, and so consistent that I passed on my 8 mile run yesterday and ran with my fiance.  It was well worth it.  She's working hard for her first 10K, and I think she's going to do really well.

Today is supposed to be weights and stretching, but I may throw in a few miles.  Then again, I was comparing a 13 mile run from October of last year to this Saturday's 13 mile run.  I've taken almost 58 seconds per mile off of my pace.  So, maybe I should just stick to the plan, and not worry about sacrificing the miles I did yesterday.  I'm sure it didn't hurt anything.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Jen16226

Good Morning

Waiting it out on going to work due to the ice and freezing rain we have here.  The kids are on a 2 hour delay anyhow, so that helped in the decision.

4 miles on tap for this evening.

Rach- Hope the PT goes well.

Bin- Enjoy your run this evening.

JBlack- Hopefully it's not ITBand related, but smart to pay attention to your body.  I hope you get some good sleep after such a shift!

Gustav- Good job getting your run in already.

Awood- That is great that your training is going so well!  And I wish I had someone to run with me during my training.

Alright, going to get some dinner into the crockpot....one less thing to do when I get home from work.

Goals for 2013:

Run 10K Race- ACCOMPLISHED!!!!

Run HM

RACES:

2-9 Kittanning Rotary Club 5K 44:38 on ice UGH

3-9 New Port Richey, Fl Pasco Challenge 10K- 1:22:55

5-12 Komen Pittsburgh Race for the Cure 5K

7-6 Ford City Heritage Days 5K

8-4 Pittsburgh Rock n Roll 1/2 Marathon

9-29 Richard S.Caliguri City of Pittsburgh Great Race 5K

Philliefan33

Good morning everyone!

The snow / sleet / freezing rain has not begun yet for me, but it is on the way.  I may have a dicey drive home.  I'm planning on hitting the TM after work since it is likely to be very slick on the roads.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Morning Penguins!

SRD for me. After 2 weeks of URD before this weekend and then 2 workouta this weekend I need the rest! My hips, abs and butt are really sore....means I worked them good yesterday!

JBlack- sorry about your HM Sad. When was it going to be? im especially sorry about IT Band issues. I've been having issues for an entire month now. Between this thread and the regular dailies thread there are WAY too many people with this issue right now!!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Jen / Phillie - We got the freezing rain yesterday.  Today, we've gone tropical heatwave.  It's 41 degrees right now.  We'll be back to single digit temps by Wednesday, but mother nature likes to mix it up around here.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Happy Monday Rach and Penguins.   Hope to get outside after work today if its not raining.  At least the rain will clear the bike path for us.

Have a great week !!!!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Rach, so what does the Air Force now do at these PT sessions.  Things sure have changed.  We had no 'sessions' when I was in, the physical fitness was the responsibility of each individual and we showed up once a year to run 1.5 miles as our fitness test, lol.  Wow, crazy stuff with the car, that is a lot of snow in your photos from yesterday!

Good luck with your 10, Bin!

Sorry you are ditching your thon, Jimmy, but probably the right decision for you if you don't feel ready.   Get some sleep after you get off work!

Congrats on getting your workout in already, Gustav!  At least the run portion.

Awood, you are doing well!  As for your upcoming 5K on Feb 10th:  since that day is my birthday, I grant you a birthday wish that you will do GREAT for your 5K!  Big grin  So Scottydog has said, so it shall be! Wink

Ice and freezing rain does not sound fun, Jen16226.  If you have to get out on those roads today, stay safe!  Margo, you stay safe too!  Gee., I hate to tell y'all Wink  but it is 70 degrees in San Antonio right now (6:34 a.m) and we are heading to 81 degrees today.

Enjoy your SRD, Kristin.  Glad you are able to work out!

Tomas, congrats on your half and the new PR, way to go!  Glad the gators in the park did not get you!

Congrats on your marathon, Damaris!

Sorry about your blah run yesterday, Dave!  It will get better, I'm sure.

Lauren, glad you didn't drop any more weights on your leg during yesterday morning's lifting! Wink

Congrats on getting to run outside yesterday, Ginny, but sorry about the unfriendly dog you met.

AFM:  Today is weight training day after work.  Yesterday, I did 4.5M at my favorite San Antonio park, mostly along natural dirt trails.  They were just perfect, after bit of rain on Saturday, soft enough to be very nice on the legs, but not soft enough where you get big clumps of mud on the bottom of your shoes.

Oh yeah, and on Saturday, I did Race #7 for 2013:  http://forums.runnersworld.com/forums/runner-communities/beginners#plckforumpage=ForumDiscussion&plckdiscussionid=Cat%3ARunner%20CommunitiesForum%3A608106477Discussion%3Aa3bebf2f-1d8b-4a8b-8deb-b0c7a6458430

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Either an RD or not.  Not sure.  I'm off to the asthma doctor then work.  HOpe by then my migraine goes away!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Jerry - I'm tempted to run in the rain, and push back my weight training for one of these single digit temp days.  Even if it's raining, this is crazy warm for January.

Scotty - Woohoo...not sure what could go wrong with birthday wishes on my side :-)  Maybe I'll go for a sub-20.  Probably more like 25, but you never know.  Sounds like an awesome run yesterday.

Kristin - You snuck in on me.  I'm glad you're able to get out there and get your workouts in again.  That's awesome.  Enjoy your rest day, and know that it's also an important part of your training.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost