Beginners and Beyond

Tumultuary Tuesday Penguins (Read 31 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the caommon benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Tumultuary: chaotic; haphazard

Which is what is is for us in San Antonio today.  Weather is not so bad - 34 degrees with a wind chill of 28 - but the traffic out there is crazy.  Mainly because the city put a de-icing agent on the roads and highway overpasses in expectation of freezing rain last night...but we got none.  And now because there was no ice that  de-icing stuff on the road IS the cause of many vehicles slipping.  There have been several accidents all around the city, and a couple of them pretty bad ones (2 drivers killed when they hit head-on), crazy.   I got up early today and took the back roads in to work, avoiding all the major thoroughfares.  Nice commute, virtually no traffic at all.   Don't know about AFTER work though. Our weather is supposed to get worse as the day goes on and freezing rain is again predicted for tonite.  I might end up just - - hack hack...cough cough    ... - - calling in tomorrow and stay home if it's as crazy as it was this morning.

I did run after work last night.  Wow.  44 degrees with a 'feels like' of 38. Not too bad...but what was crazy was the WIND.  25 - 30 mph gusts making it feel MUCH colder than the weatherman said.  Even so, I ended up with a really good run/walk of 3.5 miles.  I ran in the park near the Zoo and it was kind of bizarre and funny cuz I was about the only one out there on the trails and paths.  I saw just one other runner.  Made me feel like I was a character in that movie, lol,  "Loneliness Of The Long Distance Runner", running in my own little world, surrounded only by trees, birds, etc.

Another thing about this run, when I got back home and updated my log, I realized with this run I achieved 45,000 lifetime running miles.Well, actually, I'm just a tad over that amount now with the run last night.    I've been running 5 days a week lately instead of 4, so accumulated in the past couple of months a bit more weekly/monthly mileage than I normally do. So a nice surprise for me, made my 45,000 mile goal before my 60th birthday next month.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  7 miles tonight.

Hope you all have a nice day.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Dad on the run.

Scotty - Way to go on the lifetime mileage!

Docket - Enjoy the 7!

AFM - Will be running 4 miles of hills after work with a guy from work. Feel like temp is suppose to be in the teen with a chance of snow. We will see how that goes.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Zelanie

Scotty, the men and women of track and field would like to congratulate you!

Nice work!

D- Hope the miles go well.

Jimmy- Hope it doesn't get too cold for your run!

me- I didn't run last night, we went out to dinner with DD instead.  So, 10 tonight.

hog4life

Scotty, stay safe out there.

Damaris, enjoy the 7.

Jimmy, layer up, gonna be cold.

XT or easy 30 for me today. I bought a Yoga book over the weekend, I probably see how much I lack in flexibility, haha.

Bin Running

Scotty, I believed you are born in the year if the horse. Look at the amt of race you ran.

6 easy done.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Scotty: Congrats on the lifetime miles. Smile You and wcrunner should compare notes.

D: Enjoy the 7.

JBJ: Stick to the hills. You will thank them later.

Zel: I hope you had a nice birthday dinner with DD. Birthday season is approaching at our house, as well. Mine in February and all three kids in March.

Hog: Yoga? Get ready for some pain.

Bin: Good 6. Cute pics on FB.

As for me, I had a damn PF setback. Right when I thought I was turning the corner on it, it flared up in a big way during the last two miles of a 12 mile run on Sunday. I have finally accepted that I just have to take it easy. The Pfitz plan is definitely out and I will train with DW and her four day a week plan. (By the way, she had a nice 10 mile run on Sunday.)  I am still stretching and all that, but I think I just have to get an extra day off. Damn. It's all good, learned a good lesson and it could be worse...

Have a good day.

StartingOver42

faster than a glacier

Morning Pens! Well, On the recommendation of my ortho I tried one of those ITBS straps around my knee this morning on the TM. Didn't expect much but BAM, 4 miles and only a slight discomfort, no pain at all. <insert dancing banana>

The strap isn't a long term solution but right now I'm just looking to get through the next 3 weeks. I have a little more hope now anyway.

Jimmy, you're braver than I am. This southern boy ain't running outside when it's below freezing. I'm such a wuss when it comes to cold. I'm not proud of it, but there it is 

SheCan

Good morning Penguin friends!

Scotty-- sorry everything is so tumultuary in SA.  I wonder if the city will get sued for liability or something (its obvious, I'm not a lawyer) over the deaths?  Good job on the windy run yesterday.  Congratulations on the 45,000 and getting there early, too!  That's awesome.  Good for you!

Mitch-- You're going to try to do the yoga on your own? Keep us informed on your progress.  I'd probably more likely do it on my own than in a class.  Though I think I'd at least need videos.

Bin-- I think you must be right about Scotty.  He sure has taught us a lot about dedication.

Yesterday I hurt my shoulder/neck area while trying to get a way too big box of cat litter off a shelf at Walmart.  I quickly decided that that one just wasn't doable, but my shoulder has been hurting every since.  It kept me up a good chunk of the night.  So now I'm drinking my coffee and thinking about taking some ibuprofen before my run today.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Dad on the run.

SO42 and Hog - I have some decent cold weather gear. I picked up a pair of UA extreme cold weather gloves, I hate my hands being cold and a Celtek Bella Coola face mask. Unfortunetly it won't be in until tomorrow but that's ok. I might run tomorrow night since its 10 with a feel like of 1 just to say I did it! Smile

SO42 - Sorry to hear about your dealing with ITBS. Mine flared up around November, and I managed just a handful of runs in November took all of december off focusing on a lot of leg strengthening and started back running the first of the year. So far so good for me. Lots of hip stretching, rolling, squats, lunges (forward, backward and side) seem to have helped with mine. Not sure which of those helped the most but I did them all anyways. I really hope you get yours under control quick. Mine hurt so bad coming down the stairs I practically had to hop on the other leg coming down them.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

GinnyinPA

Scotty - congratulations on the 45,000.  Good luck getting home safely tonight.

Damaris - have a good run this evening.  When does your husband undergo surgery?

Jimmy - I hope it's not too cold to run tonight.  Take it easy.

Z - have a good long run tonight (or is that your MLR?)

Mitch - take it slowly on the yoga.  I find certain moves helpful, and some really kill my back.  I need to do more so that doesn't happen, I guess.

Bin - good job on the 6.

Jack - I'm sorry about the PF. It's a bear to kick.  Hopefully the lighter schedule will keep it in check.

SO42 - nice that the strap is helping.  I hope you get to finish your race without too much trouble.  Are the stretches helping at all?  Have you tried massage?

AFM:  RD here after 6 on the TM yesterday.  Between the icy wind and the snow covered road edges, I wimped out on an outdoor run yesterday.  But at least the forecast has changed for the coming week and we're finally going to get above freezing by the weekend.

SheCan

Jack-- yikes@ the PF flaring up again.  Be careful with that, it really needs a chance to heal up.  Is there any way you could bike or do something else for the next week or so?  I know your DW will probably be glad you're doing her plan with her.

SO42-- i've tried that strap before, and it did help.  I didn't use it much though, for some reason.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

StartingOver42

faster than a glacier

Thanks Jimmy. After the HM on Feb 16 I plan to stop running completely and focus on stretching and strength for a month or 2. I haven't been doing any strength training to go along with my run training, which was obviously a mistake. I may try something like Insanity or P90x. I like having a program to follow.

Ginny - I've been doing so many different things it's hard to tell what if anything has helped. I've been stretching, icing, and ibuprofen-ing the crap out of it for a week but haven't felt much relief until today with the strap. After I ran I used the foam roller on it, which did seem to loosen it up some, I should probably get one of those for home.

Also, I got new shoes last week, and they feel awesome. But it was after my first long run in them last sunday that I started having problems. But, that was also the first time I ever ran 10 miles in my life, and I ran the last couple of miles a little too hard because I felt good, so it's hard to say it was the shoes. Today I did switch back to my old ones just to try it, and it did feel better. But again, hard to say how much was shoes vs strap. Tomorrow I'll try the new shoes with the strap and see how that goes.

LOL is all that confusing enough? You're sorry you asked now I bet 

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Because THIS is all I need right now: I have a blister on my Achilles from wearing snow boots to walk around outside....I guess the rubbing up there didn't agree with my skin. Last night I went to sleep in compression socks and I guess it irritated the heck out of the blister. I woke up at 3:00am to go to the bathroom and my Achilles really hurt.....I thought it was the tendon itself and I thought I had somehow gone and injured myself. My thought process at 3:00am doesn't work well. But I reset my alarm to not go to the gym and run because I thought I was injured.... genius. But that is ok.... I am going to the pool tonight so I will do my run on the TM first.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to