Beginners and Beyond

Early Bird Penguins, WAKE UP, IT'S TUESDAY ALREADY FOR SOME OF YOU! (Read 23 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Yeah, Yeah, I disturbed your beauty sleep...I can hear some of you now......

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Running day for me today after work, about 4 miles probably.  Will be pleasant in shorts and singlet, as MY weather will be sunny and near 70 degrees!

PADRunner

I'm up! I think... I've only had half my coffee. Out for 4-6 shortly.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

4 miles on the treadmill is awaiting me today.  Rain and 25 mph winds means I'm staying indoors.  I'll go later when it isn't full of people who work normal jobs trying to get their workout in before work have left =D

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have 5 and weights tonight.

No racing this weekend (hubby has to work and I don't want to drive 3 hours alone - I have done it but I am not enthused for it this weekend), so back to my regularly scheduled mileage.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Brilliant

Good morning, Penguins!

Kathleen, I'm glad Higdon worked well for you.  Luckily I don't have a job to interfere with mid-week running.  Big grin  Some school & volunteer commitments, but that's lightened up lately.

Ginny, what week are you on in Higdon?  What's your marathon?

Scotty & PAD & Damaris, enjoy the run.

sapf, wise to stay indoors for your run.

Silver Springs, Welcome!  And good luck with C25K!

I'm headed out shortly for 5 miles with some friends.

My new profile pic was taken a couple of weeks ago when I went to Kauai to see my 18yo son.  He left in August for a semester - he'll be back this weekend, yay!  He and many of the other students went native, and haven't shaved or gotten a haircut since they got there, as you can tell from the pic!

PADRunner

6 Done with strides in near 0 visibility. Wore my new blinker wrap this morning. I only have .25 mile on the sidewalk till I'm on the trail in the park though so not really much to worry about, and rarely see a bike this early in the morning.

12/14 64 | 46 °F

Sunday 80% Precip. / 0.39 in

Thunderstorms. High 64F. Winds S at 15 to 25 mph. Chance of rain 80%.

30% & 60 at 8am goes to 70% by 10 may be a soggy finish. Not supposed to be to severe though.

Zelanie

Yikes, PAD, sounds nasty out!

Loved the brownie penguin yesterday. Smile

We are doing well and keeping busy with our exchange student.  Tonight I have 6 while waiting to pick them up for robotics.  It's supposed to rain, hopefully there won't be lightning or I'll have to run inside later.

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  The gig last night went quite well, and I enjoyed the chorus part of the show too.  Good times!  Singing for the American Legion tonight, only six gigs left until Christmas!!  I'm done shopping for my family and for my FIL, now just need the rest of DH's family.  Woo-hoo!

Scotty -- wow, you're up early, or late!  Enjoy your wonderful weather!  Not that you're bragging or anything ...

PAD -- hope half the coffee works for all the run!!

sapf -- eew, TM!  But with the rain and wind, it's probably a good option.

Docket -- have a good 5 and weights!!

Brilliant -- nice avi, love all the hair on your son!!

Zelanie -- glad you're having fun with the exchange student!!  Hoping for no lightning for you!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

Quick check in for me.  I signed up for a HM on the 21st just to gauge my fitness for my upcoming marathon cycle. I have not been training for it specifically so I am just going to follow the last two weeks of the Ryan Hall 10 week plan. That means today I have 5 x 800 @ 5k pace with a warm up and cool down. Probably 6 miles total, give or take.

Brilliant: Nice avi! Care to join me in the HM? It's in Camarillo.

obiebyke

Hi everyone.

Welcome Silver Springs!

I didn't do my 28 yesterday, so I just got back in from it now. Almost done with C25K for the zillionth time! 

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Got the treadmill run done.  Did a 2 minute warmup then (run 5, speedwalk 1)x7, then a couple minutes of cool down.  It was tolerable - I listened to "serial" on my phone to keep myself from getting too bored.  But boy do I heat up in there.  I was tempted to take off my shirt but there were a few grunting men lifting weights down at the gym so I didn't and just sweated a bit extra.  =P

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Good luck with the 5 and weights, Damaris, and enjoy your non-racing weekend.

Happy 5 miles, Brilliant!  You have an 18 year-old son?  From your photo, I thought you were about mid-20s, early 30s...and that guy in your new avatar I thought was your 'main squeeze" guy, lol.  You sure age well!

Sunday morning rain for us down here, PAD, but is supposed to clear out pretty quick.  I think you are going to get it from us, from our reports our short-lived storms will be heading up North your way.  Thanks for taking them out of our area!

Good luck with the 6, Zelanie, hope the weather cooperates with you. If not, maybe you can get a robotic to hold an umbrella over you and roll alongside of you as you run.

Got to enjoy the good weather while I can, HsM, Texas is 'weather nutso', one day we will be nice and warm and then the temp will plunge for a few days...and then it goes back to nice and warm again...I think we are Mother Nature's 'experiment state'.   Enjoy the gig tonite!  Maybe you will even get a proposal from one of the American Legion old soldiers... 

Happy training for the upcoming half, Jack!

Way to get the 28 done, obiebyke!  good luck with finishing the C25K...again!   You can't find another plan?  Go find a book called "The Runner's Handbook" by a guy named Glover.  Oldie but goodie.  Paperback, don't think any of his plans are on-line.  But some really nice "get you around" training plans in there, very easy to follow.  You can probably find the book at Half-Price books or someplace like that.

Congrats on getting the TM done, sapf. You should've just gone ahead and taken the shirt off, the heck with the grunting men. 

Zelanie

Ooh, another Serial fan! I just found out last week that my mom graduated from Woodlawn High School, and since my sister graduated in '99, if our parents had stayed in the area, those would have been her classmates.

GinnyinPA

Scotty - enjoy your warm run this afternoon.  I'm definitely envious.

PAD - sorry you're probably going to get rained on during your race.  At least it will keep you from overheating, right? I know when I'm cold, I move faster.  Why no visibility?  Fog?

sapf - good job on the TM run.  Doing intervals is easier on the TM, and it does make the time pass quickly. Look around and see if others take off their shirts.  I know in some places it isn't allowed, but if it is, just wearing a running bra is a lot cooler.  That's the advantage of running on the TM at home.

Damaris - I wouldn't want to drive that far before and after a race solo either.  No friends who are heading that way?  I know some of the local runners car pool to the bigger events.

Brilliant - you definitely don't look old enough to have an 18 year old son.  I'm surprised he wants to come back from Hawaii.  I wouldn't.  I haven't started Higdon yet.  If I do Gettysburg, it isn't until the end of April.  I would probably start HH around the first of February at about week 7, since I'm already running 40 miles a week and don't want to go backwards, besides, January is going to be iffy for me since we're supposed to be on the road again then for 3-4 weeks.  I've told DH that running needs to be a priority, but it's always hard when we spend all day driving.  Plus, there will be no TMs for when the weather is bad.  (A friend is getting married in northern FL at New Years.  So we'll drive there and maybe spend a few weeks camping at the state parks in FL or maybe go to Houston to see my Dad.  It's all pretty uncertain.)

Z - I hope you have dry skies for your run this evening.

HM - that's a lot of concerts.  Have fun tonight.  And good luck with all the shopping.  Fortunately, our family agreed years ago that only the little kids get presents, so aside from the grandchildren, I only have DH and my father to worry about.  Since I hate shopping, this is a very good thing.

Jack - have fun with the intervals tonight.

obiebyke - hopefully this will be the last time doing c25k.  No more injuries!

AFM:  ice storm last night.  We had to wait until noon to take Ben out, because the road was covered with ice and it took a long time to melt off.  As it was, Ben slid right off the front steps, and almost pulled me down with him. Rain is forecast for the rest of the afternoon, so I'll probably do 5 on the TM.