Beginners and Beyond

Tuesday Penguins "Eat Your Veggies Day" (Read 29 times)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

My favorite day of the year !!!   

4 miles is about all we will do in this "heat".  Storms are coming through here now.

Zel, a Sat/Sun Daily seems like its worth a try.  Maybe even add a Friday/Monday holiday ???

Philliefan33

Good morning Jerry, and everyone to follow.

My knee feels a little better today.  This happens occasionally to my cranky knee, so I know it just takes a few days to calm down.  I think tonight I'll cycle a bit and maybe do some yoga. Lately I've been challenging myself to build up "exercise" streaks.  So far my longest is 17 days; I count running, cycling, swimming, and yoga.  At first I felt like I was cheating a bit to count yoga, but now I realize that it is helping my core and upper-body strength.  Hey, it's my challenge -- I get to make up the rules!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Congrats on the exercise streak, Margo.  Glad the knees are better.  Keep it up.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  My lungs cannot do speedwork today, so 8-10 slow miles later.

Damaris

PADRunner

RD for me today. I think the penguins dailies will be fine. just a couple of busy weekend.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

My running plans are like Baboon's that he put in the dailies:  run after work in the dry heat.   Run-time of 5 PM today, temp at 91 degrees, humidity at 47% and dew-point of 68, so not too bad at all.  My course will be some trails in a local park.

He also posted a nice running photo of him...I think he looks pretty strong in it.  With my spine arthritis and the effects of the hips birth defect that I was born with my race photos - like the one at the link below taken at a race I did a couple of weeks ago - make me look like the guy from that poem..."There was a crooked man..."   with my bent back and my feet splayed out all to the sides, since I can't run with them pointed straight as that hurts my hips too much.  Oh well, it is what it is....at least I still manage to get where I want to go. 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/sasports/14367186725/in/set-72157644645931667

Jerry, I only eat fresh veggies since I don't like cooked veggies at all.  About the only two cooked veggies I like are cooked carrots and green beans.  Anything else - peas, corn, spinach, whatever - is BLECH for me.    Stay safe throughout your storms.

Definitely count yoga, Phillie, that dang stuff is tough!  Gail does it all the time and is now so flexible and her core is really tight, she looks great.  Me, I can hardly do 'dog pose', lol.  My balance and flexibility is terrible!   Enjoy your exercise streaks and way to go in staying consistent!  Hope the knee behaves.

Sorry about the lungs, Damaris.  Hope your miles tonite go well with no problems.

Enjoy the RD, PAD!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

obiebyke

Hey all. Glad your knee is better, Phillie.

Mmmm, eat your veggies day. My girlfriend made me an amazing salad to bring for lunch today, so I think I'm golden.

I ended up having to do my run on an indoor track yesterday due to Tstorms. It was kinda fun!

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Zelanie

Morning!  I like to celebrate this holiday every day!

Today is DH's "actual" 40th.  He got to be like the presidents this year since we celebrated on another day.  But now it's been long enough that we did that that we're having a family birthday dinner tonight.  For me, it means that it will be tough to get my run in!  Plus I'm supposed to have a mid-week RD, it's just that I know I'm not going to be able to run on Sunday, so I moved my RD to there.  So I might run 4-6 after dinner.  We will see.

Track last night was tough!  I kept fantasizing about lowering my marathon goal by, like, an hour so that I wouldn't have to run as fast!  Plus there was a headwind one direction and my GPS was probably a bit off.  In any case, I got my intervals done, but was probably a bit slow on each.

Jerry- Heat when it's just about to get stormy is the worst!

Philly- I think it's reasonable to include yoga if it encourages you to do it consistently!

D- Good luck on the miles later!

PAD- Enjoy the RD!

Scotty- When I see photos of you, I think, "there's a guy that's out there doing what he loves to do!"  Enjoy the run later.

obie- Glad you had a good time on the track.  I think I would like that better than a TM, but I'm terrible at counting while I run!

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Be nice to those knees, people!!!  

Well, after my ridiculous 66 mile bike ride Saturday & a day completely off of ANY physical stuff on Father's Day, I put a few in on the hamster wheel on what I would call some 'compromised' legs.  But they did respond and I actually had a good run.  (on the hamster wheel, just to be kind to them).  Back on the bike tonight to climb some hills & we'll see how the legs feel about that.

Don't forget to "enjoy" the run, everybody!! 

Randy

LRB

'Sup Pens!

Maybe today is the day I should eat meat.   

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Damaris

obiebyke

I can't count laps, either. I just use the stopwatch on my iPhone and hit lap. Forgot to say, RD for me today.

obie- Glad you had a good time on the track.  I think I would like that better than a TM, but I'm terrible at counting while I run!

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Wow...hope these folks had their suncreen ready....

World Naked Bike Ride in San Francisco - http://www.mysanantonio.com/bayarea/slideshow/World-Naked-Bike-Ride-in-San-Francisco-87877.php