Beginners and Beyond

Michelob Ultra 13.1 Chicago RR (Mostly Pics) (Read 84 times)

Docket_Rocket

Why: Hubby is doing one half marathon a month to get higher on the Half Fanatics level and I don't have a marathon until July, so why not?

How:  We had tons of fun and even though hubby was dealing with a groin issue after Mile 10, he finished his third fastest half marathon (out of six) and did pretty well.

We had tons of fun.  I FEd with as many people as I could (sorry, Runny_Babbit, Jerry, you are going to be on my next trip to Chicago, fo shizzle - if that's how it's said).

So, here is the RR, in pics:

I arrived in Chicago at 11:30am while hubby was coming twelve hours later due to work.  LRB, who was in town for business, picked me up at the airport and after many years of friendship, we met in person.  Here is him on our way to meet Mary for lunch (marymay611):

We met Mary at my hotel, checked in and went to the Navy Pier for lunch:

Fooled around town for a bit:

And later said our goodbyes.   I met my coach and RobinCD for coffee (forgot to take a picture), went back to the hotel, had dinner, and napped because hubby's flight was delayed .  We only had 4 hours of sleep before the race.

We took the 5:30am shuttle to the start, met my coach (NACN from the RWOL forums) who was pacing the 1:45 group:

Got ready to start and took some "selfies":

I love that hat!

The temps were great.  June and it was in the low 60s.  Sunny on the way back but very nice.  We made good time until hubby's groin started feeling sore so we slowed down to prevent anything bad (he has suffered from this since he was a teenager so whenever his bouts get too bad, we slow down).

Around Mile 12.5, we saw Dave Mari (who we see on every race and I'm surprised that he always remembers me and my name):

We finished enough for his third fastest half marathon.  We enjoyed the free beer (well, what can you do, it's beer):

And enjoyed Chicago until it was time to leave.  I love this picture because it shows why we really do this.  Meeting people, having fun, what more can we ask for?

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Great time in Chi-town, great FE's, great pics!

Oh yeah i guess there was a race too. .

Dave

B-Plus

You were so focused on the relationships that I don't even remember if you ran. Lucky you for meeting so many awesome peeps.

happylily

Nice pictures, Damaris! I'm glad you and your husband had fun in Chicago.  It's so cool that you got to meet Mary and Rick!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Docket_Rocket

You were so focused on the relationships that I don't even remember if you ran. Lucky you for meeting so many awesome peeps.

Haha.  I did.  This was not a goal race for me (nor hubby) so what's one to do if not fun?

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

LRB

Nice pictures, Damaris! I'm glad you and your husband had fun in Chicago.  It's so cool that you got to meet Mary and Rick!

Mary is really cool and a spark plug full of energy!  She is spontaneous and literally walks 10 minute miles, just ask D's ankle and my back.  lol  We were almost running to keep up with her like two kids trailing their mom.  lol

Damaris is a sweet person and very selfless.  You would have to meet her to know what I mean which I recommend, then you can judge for yourself and not go by what you heard.

Of course we drank wine with our lunch and to see us from afar you would never guess that it was the first time we met.  It was as if we have been friends for a million years!

Our group has taken its lumps but I cannot say enough for all of the cool people I have had the pleasure of meeting in person; Kim, Jane, Andy, Marjorie, Dave P, Mary and D.  And I look forward to meeting more of you!  

happylily

Mary is really cool and a spark plug full of energy!  She is spontaneous and literally walks 10 minute miles, just ask D's ankle and my back.  lol  We were almost running to keep up with her like two kids trailing their mom.  lol

Damaris is a sweet person and very selfless.  You would have to meet her to know what I mean which I recommend, then you can judge for yourself and not go by what you heard.

Of course we drank wine with our lunch and to see us from afar you would never guess that it was the first time we met.  It was as if we have been friends for a million years!

Our group has taken its lumps but I cannot say enough for all of the cool people I have had the pleasure of meeting in person; Kim, Jane, Andy, Marjorie, Dave P, Mary and D.  And I look forward to meeting more of you!  

You and Damaris are certainly at the core of our group, there is no doubt about that.  We all have different personalities, but it's cool that we manage to get along. I can only imagine how much fun Mary, Damaris and yourself, had together. You all have such positive attitude, it must be impossible not to feel good in your company.  I hope to meet Damaris in Chicago next October. And if I'm lucky, you will have another business meeting there, who knows? :-)

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

LRB

And if I'm lucky, you will have another business meeting there, who knows? :-)

Ahh, I see you caught that.  lol 

LRB

We all have different personalities, but it's cool that we manage to get along. 

I have maintained that it is not necessary to like a person or agree with every single thing they say or do in an online community to be a part of it, you just respect their right to have their own views and opinions.  No different than at your work, in your neighborhood, in your family, school etc..

I mean if we disassociated with everyone we did not care for or didn't share the same views with we would never leave our homes.  Which sometimes I do not want to. 

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

It's nice how LRB color coordinated his shoelaces and shirt. Priorities...

Looks like a great weekend and Mr. Docket looks to be getting fit!  Smile

Docket_Rocket

Looks like a great weekend and Mr. Docket looks to be getting fit!  Smile

LOL.  And yes.  Thanks!

LRB, awww, thanks.

Lily, I met Mary at Disney World in 2013 and it was like we have known each other forever.  Running with someone for 3+ hours makes you BFFs and that is why we speak almost every day.

I have met a lot of forumites since 2009 when I join the RWOL BF.  And I can say all of them have been nice and they leave me with a feeling of being friends, even though the distance between us is great.  I had the same feeling after meeting Rick (and Mary, of course).

Like I told Rick, I was glad I bamboozled hubby into coming in later than me.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Very cool!!!

You'll have to tend to your husband's groin with gentle.....errr......hands?? 

Go Rick & Mary!!   Plus, I love Chitown....well.....when it ain't winter! 

Pizzeria Uno, FTW!!  

Randy

LRB

You don't miss much do you. 

LRB

Pizzeria Uno, FTW!!  

There is at least one of those in Michigan and I was not all that moved.  Someone was raving about their BLT pizza which made no sense to me and yeah, after I had it it made no sense to me.  lol

Bacon, lettuce, tomato and mayo on a pizza?  Alrighty then. 

Ms Chenandler Bong

It was so  much fun to FE with you and LBR!   Great memories and friendships strengthened.

LBR - sorry to make you work so hard at walking!!  Guess it's a habit I've picked up from dragging kids to all their activities!!

Marathon and ultra marathon runner.  Sour Patch Kid addict.