Beginners and Beyond

Wednesday Penguins Making The Best Of Winter (Read 25 times)

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the caommon benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Good Morning Penguins!

So I stayed home from work because of the snow storm - after all, who would want to commute 90 miles to a job and 90 miles back home in a snowstorm? Of course if I'm home I need to get a run in so I did 7 miles in the snow catching snow flakes on my tongue! Later on the wife and I walked around our neighborhood and she took some photos. Back at the house I made us some hot apple cider with mulling spices. In a way, I felt like I was a kid again! Hey, it's winter - why bitch about it when you can enjoy it!

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Philliefan33

Good morning Gus. That sounds like a great day. I didn't get to enjoy the snow-I just drove in it.

Im working at my old location today, so I will have time to run in the daylight. Hooray!

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Good morning!

I'd love to stay home, but it's just not in the cards.  I have to work.

Running in the daytime sounds great.  I've been running on the TM way too much lately, but it is what it is.

AFM - Back to the weight control conversation from yesterday, I just need to be more disciplined when I'm driving all over the country.  I slipped back into the habit of stopping at the most convenient location when I was between meetings.  I either have to plan ahead, or suck it up and wait until I get somewhere that I can grab a bite.  It seems I can get away with the convenient meal for a week or two without any bad effects, but eventually it catches up to me.

I swear that I'm going to post pictures of my Christmas lights, but I'm still not done putting them up.  I have to run to Cleveland today, and Detroit tomorrow.  I'm still not done shopping.  Wish me luck!

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I think I am getting sick.  Not surprising with all the stress going on with Trixie.  4 miles tonight.

Gustav, nice run.  Share the photos!

Phillie, I love snow and driving through it.  But I was only in snow for a weekend, mind you.

Awood, keep up the good weight maintaining goal, don't forget.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning, Damaris, Awood, Margo, and Gus and sleeping Pengs.

Gus, do you put anything on your shoes like YaxTrax for the snow?

Going to the gym today and run is optional.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I did not stay home because of the snow storm.  Lovely run/walk after work yesterday at the Zoo park area.  68 degrees, humidity around 40 percent, dewpoint in the 50s, nice and sunny, and it was even still light near 6:15 PM when I finished my outing.  I started out with 3 easy miles in mind but once again, since I was feeling really good when I got out there, I threw in a near extra mile and ended up with  3.5 miles.  Along the route, I even took a detour to run easily on the paths through the Japanese Gardens, enjoying the lovely scenery there, the carp in the pools, etc.   What a very relaxing and enjoyable run!  Well, except for running into the tree, that was not so much fun.  There was this lovely lady, you see, going in the other direction...and I turned my head back to get a last look at her very Great Legs as she ran on down the road...and then turned back around...and the low hanging tree limb was RIGHT there!  Whack....owwww..... These two cyclists going by saw it all and stopped to see if I was okay - I was, by the way, just a couple of small scratches on my cheek where the bark scraped it - but could not help but laugh.  What are you gonna do?  I'm a klutz and an idiot, so I just had to laugh with them.   And here is some irony..I did not even have to take a second look because as I made my way around the neighborhood I happened to be in then...the lady came back around the other way and came towards me once again.  So I would have gotten a second appreciative look anyway, sheesh.   As we came near each other she said "Hey, Scottydog, your cheek is bleeding, you okay?"  We both stopped and I said "You know me?"   And she told me yeah, she reads my race reports on my blog, so has seen my photo there, and has done a few of the same races I have.  Small world!   So we had a chat and I admitted to my Great Legs 'idiocy", telling her what happened, and thankfully she has a good sense of humor and jokingly said "I would expect nothing less of Scottydog"   - gotta love runners -  and we both had a good laugh at my expense, and I made a new friend.  Nice.

Today is a rest day from running, may do a walk after work as it will be sunny again and 70 degrees.

Wow, Gustav, 90 mile commute one way?   That is some commute!  You probably made a smart move and stayed home.   Nice, on getting your run done, in spite of the snow.  Sounds like you really are making the most of the day, good for you!

Yay for daylight runs, Phillie!  Stay safe in all that snow!

Well, dang, Awood, if you are running to Cleveland today and running to Detroit tomorrow, that should help with the weight control!    Good luck with your shopping, etc.

Good luck with your 4 miles, Damaris, and hope you do not get sick!  Yeah, snow for a weekend is not bad.  Living in it every day, though...yuk.  It's so pretty when it first comes down.  Then you have to shovel it, drive in it, deal with the slush if it rains or when it starts melting...it gets old really fast.

Happy gym day, Jerry!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Nice FE Scotty.  Watch out for those "limbs".

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Reading yesterday's thread...

Kristin, sounds like your MRI folks are slacking.  Like Mitch said.  My MRIs are usually ready the same day.  BUT...it is the reading of the findings that delays things, as Mitch says.  The MRI person interprets the findings and then does up the report to send to to doc, and that seems to be where the delay comes in for me when I get one done...with the doc waiting till the arrival of the report.   And, btw, you may weigh the same as Jerry...but you sure are prettier than him.     Welcome home to your brother!  Hawaii!  I am so jealous!  My favorite place in the whole world!  Gail and I lived there for 4 years.

Sorry about more snow, Ginny, but at least it's powdery still and not the wet stuff yet.

The limbs are not the problem, Jerry, my 'addiction' to Great Legs are, lol.    Well, everyone has to "suffer" every once in a while for their passion, right?

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Scotty!   LOL  Be careful buddy.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Docket_Rocket

Scotty, my lungs wouldn't mind shoveling snow since I would be able to breathe all year long.  It mightnot be easy, butas compared to the 11 montha of Summer here, I would prefer the shoveling.

I really do not think Trixie is improving.  I am not expecting good news from the biopsy tomorrow.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

obiebyke

Docket - I'm waiting to hear about Trixie. Poor kitty.

Gustav - You lucky dog! I'd love to have today off. Sounds like a lovely day.

Phillie - Day runs are great. That's why I love my weekend long run.

Awood - I can see how fast food would be a temptation if you're on the road all the time. Can you keep some trail mix or something filling like that in your car?

Scotty - Caught at your dirty game! I'm glad you weren't too hurt.

AFM, planning on 4 after work.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Docket_Rocket

Thank you, obie.  I will keep you guys posted tomorrow.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Zelanie

Morning!  DD's choir concert tonight.  Just a few more days of school and then we're out!

Gustav- I love reading your posts lately.  You are working hard at getting your miles in, but clearly enjoying it!

Awood- I bet it is the meals out.  And usually they're not good enough to be worth in anyway!

Damaris- Good thoughts for Trixie!

Everyone else- have a good day!

GinnyinPA

Gustav - thanks for sharing the joy of winter running.  Do you do that long commute 5 days a week?  Can you move closer to your job?

Margo - have a good run.  It should be nice this afternoon.

Awood - I usually gain weight when we are doing a lot of road trips.  Fast food is hard.  If you can stick to Subway, or salads and soups or bring your own sandwiches, it's better.  But fries and shakes will pile on the pounds.

Damaris - I hope you feel better later.  I'm sorry about Trixie.

Jerry - enjoy the gym.

Scotty - gotta keep your eye on the trail, not the lovely ladies!  Sounds like you had fun though.

Obiebyke - enjoy your four in the cold.

Melanie - enjoy the concert.

AFM:  cold but sunny here, so we'll either go hiking in the snow or I'll go for a run.