Beginners and Beyond

FriDAILIES! (Read 33 times)

LRB

Run with it. 

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  In Court all morning.  4-5 miles tonight.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

delicate flower

Happy Friday!  Work days have been flying by a little too fast for comfort.  I could use some slow down to get some work done.  No metings today though, so today looks promising.

I am not a good morning runner.  Have I said that before?  I was going to run before work again today, but I got up at 5:30 and it just wasn't happening.  I'll do my much more preferred post-work run instead.  Just figured I'd try to get it out of the way early today, that's all.

Heh.

<3

Zelanie

Morning!  I got so lost on my run yesterday!  I planned a nice easy loop or two around Epcot, but there was a ton of construction and no sidewalks or shoulder, so I ended up running towards Downtown Disney.  I ran past that to Saratoga Springs, and it was finally getting nice when I hit my turnaround point.  So I decided to keep going for another mile, which put me in the Treetop Villages past the golf course.

So anyway, I must have gotten turned around on the golf course, because looking at the map later, when I 'turned around", I headed exactly the opposite direction from where I needed to go!  I couldn't see any landmarks any more, and I ended up in some uninhabited area with a motor pool and some warehouses.  Finally I ended up on a road, but without sidewalks.  And by then, it was getting dark.

I found a warehouse that looked more inhabited, and waited for somebody to come out, and asked him if he could call me a cab (I had money, but idiotically hadn't brought my phone).  Eventually, more people came out.  The consensus was don't call a cab, it will never come.  But they could give directions.   The consensus was also "WTF, you ran here?" Wink

There were two routes.  One was longer, and had no sidewalks, but was populated.  It would take me back to Downtown Disney, which would be 2 miles from my hotel.  The other was direct back to my hotel, and had sidewalks, but was very dark and desolate- no businesses or houses.

I took the dark route and headed out.  Actually, the directions were great.  I was about 2.3 miles from my hotel at that point.  And it was completely desolate and the trees were so tall that I couldn't see anything at all until I was like 3 blocks away.  But I made it back just in time to meet me coworkers for dinner. Smile

Docket_Rocket

I should have warned you. There are no sidewalks anywhere.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

delicate flower

Zel, there was lots of construction around Disney when we were there in October.  I did all of my running in the Old Key West and Saratoga Springs resorts, just running around all their roads, walkways, and the paved path that connects the two.  Stay away from Downtown Disney during non-business hours.  It is a construction work site during off hours and they will tell you to leave.  They are completely redoing the area.

<3

Zelanie

Phil, I think Saratoga Springs was where I got lost. Gotta pay better attention to what building is what.

delicate flower

Phil, I think Saratoga Springs was where I got lost. Gotta pay better attention to what building is what.

HA!  Yeah, I just tried to be mindful of where the main building was in relation to where I was running, sorting of using that as an internal compass point.  FYI, behind the main building by the golf course is the walkway that connect to Old Key West.  It's about a half mile long.  Go over the little bride, bear right, and that'll take you to OKW.  OKW is smaller and not as confusing to run around as Saratoga Springs.

<3

Zelanie

Thanks. Maybr I will try again today, or bring my phone. I think my Garmin 610 might have a "return to start" feature, but I haven't used it before.

StepbyStep-SH

URD - I had hoped for a redo on yesterday's failed 15 miles, but we did end up getting an appointment for this morning with DS's psychiatrist, so that is taking precedence over running.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

B-Plus

SRD

fourouta5

Healed Hammy

Zel, here is a route I ran in September around Old Key West, Dwtwn Disney and Saratoga. 

Thanks. Maybr I will try again today, or bring my phone. I think my Garmin 610 might have a "return to start" feature, but I haven't used it before.

Hopefully makes sense

outoftheblue

Being lost in an unfamiliar place is very disconcerting.  I'm glad you made it back OK, Zel.  How far did your total run end up being?

I'm going to take the dogs for a brisk walk in lieu of the short recovery run on the plan.  Tomorrow is a SRD and then all hell breaks loose.

Life is good.

Gym before work this morning, 1200m swim + 2.5 miles on the treadmill.

Tomorrow I plan my first outdoor run in 6 weeks.

Dave

LRB

Zel that is incredible!