Beginners and Beyond

Running Recovery (Read 100 times)

LRB

Two dailies, I knew that was going to happen!

What do you drink for recovery after a run?  Is there any difference between an easy, fast or long run?

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

For hard runs like my progression runs and long runs I normally try to immediately have a protein shake - Gaspari Nutrition - Myofusion Chocolate with a bottle of water to mix with. Normally I have to drink some of that water first so I have room to pour the powder in and shake it up.

I also try to have 2 of these a day if I can.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

happylily

I'm pretty bad at after workouts recovery drinks. I usually drink half a bottle of sparkling water and that's it. No calories. SO is annoyed at me because he's a big believer in protein shakes and he has his special concoctions before and after workouts. I just can't be bothered with it all. All I want after a run is a hot bath or shower. Then I usually eat supper, or lunch, about 45 to 60 minutes later. I don't know if it would make a difference for me if I were to adopt SO's shakes routine. Maybe...

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Docket_Rocket

I drink Gatorade or water.  I don't drink anything after a LR except that.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

RSX

Chocolate milk for every long run. If I drove there than usually a Gatorade first, and that later.

Usually just water. Sometimes Gatorade if it is hot out and/or a LR and if I happen to have it around; then water.

Then I eat food.

Dave

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Water if I'm thirsty. Or nothing. Then coffee if it's the morning. If it is the summer and I had sweat a ton during the run I'll do Gatorade. Are recovery drinks important??? If so.....whoops!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Usually water or Gatorade after speed work or long runs.

I don't see them as "recovery" drinks however. Basically I'm thirsty when I'm done. I will make sure I eat within an hour after a hard workout or long run and that is more directly related to recovery in my opinion.

delicate flower

Recoverite for long runs.  Otherwise, nothing.

<3

outoftheblue

For long runs, I usually drink a cup of coffee, followed by water and then something high in protein and salt, like cottage cheese.  Weird, but it works for me.

Life is good.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

For long runs, I usually drink a cup of coffee, followed by water and then something high in protein and salt, like cottage cheese.  Weird, but it works for me.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

Usually water or Gatorade a beer after speed work or long runs.

I don't see them as "recovery" drinks however. Basically I'm thirsty when I'm done. I will make sure I eat within an hour after a hard workout or long run and that is more directly related to recovery in my opinion.

This.  Speed workouts are usually Monday night's with the club so a beer afterwards.

You people have issues 

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Depending on what is in the fridge, Gatorade, coconut water, or water.

Love the Half

I'm pretty bad at after workouts recovery drinks. I usually drink half a bottle of sparkling water and that's it. No calories. SO is annoyed at me because he's a big believer in protein shakes and he has his special concoctions before and after workouts. I just can't be bothered with it all. All I want after a run is a hot bath or shower. Then I usually eat supper, or lunch, about 45 to 60 minutes later. I don't know if it would make a difference for me if I were to adopt SO's shakes routine. Maybe...

That kind of describes me as well.  The only thing I have noticed is that if I down a pint of chocolate milk immediately after a brutal workout, I am less likely to pig out later.  Interestingly enough, and in response to Lily's last comment, there is evidence that the 4-1 carb to protein ratio recommended for post workout recovery doesn't do much for women although I haven't seen even any remote speculation as to why.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

LRB

SO is annoyed at me because he's a big believer in protein shakes and he has his special concoctions before and after workouts.

Coming from a weight lifting/fitness background, I was him for a billion years.  It took me running three years before I finally broke away from protein shakes, many of which are in excess of 300 calories per.

There is nothing wrong with the theory mind you (the post-workout anabolic window), but is it absolutely necessary for runners?  YMMV.

These days I do 4 to 8 ounces of Silk post-run (depending on the distance), or a yogurt (120 calories tops), then go on about my day.

When I run super long (for me) or fast I may have an extra glass (or a whole bottle) of wine and an entire small thin-crust pizza, but that has nothing to do with anything except an excuse to be reckless one day out of seven.