Beginners and Beyond

Am I the only one who doesn't like snowboarding ? (Read 71 times)

Will run for scenery.

So we already dished on figure skating.  But judging by my random luck it appears that the only sport event in these Olympics is snowboarding. And I'm hating it even more than I used to.

I'm not saying it's easy, but compared to "real" athletes, the snowboarders just seem like a bunch of stoners each trying trying to be more hip than the others.

And the commentary is ridiculous.  One expert just pointed how one of the boarders was "a machine gun of awesomeness".

I'm starting to wonder why they don't just make an event for cute teenagers to wear trendy clothes, eat a big bag of Cheetos, and, like, talk about, you know, stuff.

When do the sports begin ?

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

Zelanie

I'm loving the on-demand options where you can select what to watch by sport.  I still haven't watched much of the Olympics this year, but when I have time, I get to choose what to watch.  I discovered that cross- country ski races remind me a lot of distance running (or cycling, for that matter, in the way the races develop over time and you really have to time your moves carefully).

RSX

I heard this talked about on the radio yesterday. ESPN started the X Games a while ago and it caters to a younger audience. This is an attempt to reel in a younger audience since shooting targets on skis isn't getting it done.

Shooting targets on skies is getting it done for me.

happylily

Do I like snowboarding? Hmm... Did Canada win a medal in this event? If yes, I love snowboarding! 

And look at that baby face. The face of a healthy and kind boy. His mama is proud of him. And so am I. 

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

delicate flower

Snowboarding is easier to learn than skiing.  There is a shorter learning curve but it hurts more.  There is constant falling.  No single fall hurts all that much, but the cumulative effect of fall after fall after fall leaves you feeling beat to hell by the end of the day.  After a three hour lesson though, I was snowboarding from the top of the mountain.  Skiing is harder to learn but you are in more control.  It's easier to go slow and stop yourself from falling.

<3

Docket_Rocket

I like it.  I like skiing and biathlon better but it's entertaining enough.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Little Blue

Shooting targets on skies is getting it done for me.

I never paid much attention to it before, but dang, that is an exciting sport.  Not so much the middle of the races, but the jockeying at the end.  Seems like anything can happen.

I'm pretty 'meh' on snowboarding.  It doesn't take long to make me lose interest.

onemile

Yes.

Hip Redux

I watched some last night.  I could not tell you why the judges said one person got a 92 and another an 87.  That's where I lose interest.  If I need someone to explain to me why someone won, it doesn't make for a very exciting spectator sport.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

I thought shooting targets on skis was pretty cool. I equated it to running 20 miles on a golf course and stopping every so often to shoot at a grapefruit sized target 60 meters away. Snowboarding belongs in the X Games and I don't care to watch sports that require judging. Even Shaun White's teammate said his 4th place finish "was a gift."

Venomized

Drink up moho's!!

I like the snowboarding events but they are pretty much the skateboarders of the slopes.  And yeah they look like stoner weed heads.  They remind me of Shaggy from Scooby-doo

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I just watched the halfpipe men's finals OnDemand (the past 2 nights I really didn't get to see much Olympics at all except during my hour on the elliptical and TM on Tuesday and it the Russian coverage because that's all they have at that gym....DirectTV Russian channels). It was enjoyable enough. But I definitely don't understand the scoring. Felt bad for Shaun White though.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Love the Half

I have mixed feelings about the judging thing.  On the one hand, part of me says that a sport that requires judging isn't a sport.  OTOH, an activity like curling that requires essentially zero athletic ability isn't judged and is an Olympic competition.  I recognize the skill that curling requires but darts requires skill as well and it's not an Olympic sport.  While I don't like sports that require judging, I admire the athletic ability of snowboarders, figure skaters, etc.  It just seems like there could be some way to eliminate a lot of the subjectivity.

For example, let's assume that trick  "x" is a fairly simple trick that could earn a possible 60 points on a 100 point scale while trick "y" is a more difficult trick that could earn a possible 80 points.  Each trick would have a standard you have to meet to receive the maximum possible points.  Anything short of that standard, such as maybe you didn't grab the board or maybe your hand brushed the ground on the landing, or whatever, would result in a deduction in points.  Competitors would then have to make a strategic decision about what level of difficulty they wanted to attempt.  Attempting trick "x" would yield a greater probability of receiving the full points value but even a less than perfectly executed trick "y" would yield more points than a perfectly executed trick "x."  Of course, since it's harder, it also carries with it a higher risk of muffing it badly and earning few points.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

StartingOver42

faster than a glacier

I have mixed feelings about the judging thing.  On the one hand, part of me says that a sport that requires judging isn't a sport.  OTOH, an activity like curling that requires essentially zero athletic ability isn't judged and is an Olympic competition.  I recognize the skill that curling requires but darts requires skill as well and it's not an Olympic sport.  While I don't like sports that require judging, I admire the athletic ability of snowboarders, figure skaters, etc.  It just seems like there could be some way to eliminate a lot of the subjectivity.

For example, let's assume that trick  "x" is a fairly simple trick that could earn a possible 60 points on a 100 point scale while trick "y" is a more difficult trick that could earn a possible 80 points.  Each trick would have a standard you have to meet to receive the maximum possible points.  Anything short of that standard, such as maybe you didn't grab the board or maybe your hand brushed the ground on the landing, or whatever, would result in a deduction in points.  Competitors would then have to make a strategic decision about what level of difficulty they wanted to attempt.  Attempting trick "x" would yield a greater probability of receiving the full points value but even a less than perfectly executed trick "y" would yield more points than a perfectly executed trick "x."  Of course, since it's harder, it also carries with it a higher risk of muffing it badly and earning few points.

Yeah if they tweaked the judging it might help, though it doesn't seem to be hurting snowboarding or figure skating as Olympic spectator sports, those are the 2 biggest ratings wise, in the US at least.

Something like diving, even though it is judged and somewhat subjective, seems to do it pretty well. You have the degree of difficulty multiplier to reward the harder dives, and there seem to be some pretty objective metrics that they judge on. Amount of splash, whether they are vertical, legs together, etc. Usually the announcers can tell what the dive will score as soon as they hit the water.

I agree the snowboarders athletic ability is incredible. They make really really hard stuff look easy.  And when Shaun White was in his prime you didn't even have to see his name to know it was him on the pipe, he was going so much faster and higher than everyone else. He was doing tricks in Olympic runs that none of the other competitors would even try in practice. I can appreciate that level of excellence even in a sport I don't follow much.