Beginners and Beyond

Help! Montreal, what to see and where to stay? (Read 64 times)

RSX

Cyber and/or Lily what areas just outside Montreal would you recommend staying in? We have a car but are looking for places that may have transit options if we choose not to park in the city those days. My wife books most things via Priceline so we can't always narrow down specific hotels that way.

happylily

I'd say Longueuil, on the South Shore (where I live). Longueuil is across the river, in direct line with Montreal, and has a metro line. You can park your car all day at the terminal there and you are 10 minutes from downtown by the subway. It's very easy to navigate the subway (we're not NYC). There are some hotels near the terminal in Longueuil. They won't be the most charming (think Sandman, etc...), but probably cheaper than downtown Montreal. Old Longueuil is very pretty, with century old buildings, trees and cute bistros, boutiques, etc...

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

RSX

I'd say Longueuil, on the South Shore (where I live). Longueuil is across the river, in direct line with Montreal, and has a metro line. You can park your car all day at the terminal there and you are 10 minutes from downtown by the subway. It's very easy to navigate the subway (we're not NYC). There are some hotels near the terminal in Longueuil. They won't be the most charming (think Sandman, etc...), but probably cheaper than downtown Montreal. Old Longueuil is very pretty, with century old buildings, trees and cute bistros, boutiques, etc...

This is great thanks!! She is at a disadvantage using Priceline in Montreal because there are a # of hotels we aren't familiar with. We basically bid on how many stars we want as opposed to 1 specific chain.

I love your subway compared to Boston and every other place I have been.

Cyberic

+1

skygazer

I'm back from vacation, and exhausted. I'm looking for a hotel for my stay in Montreal and found quite a few of them are already not available for the period of time I'll be in the city. Looks like it's a very popular city for summertime getaway. I'm still searching for one near a metro station as I've decided not to rent a car. Does anybody here know there's a gay village in Montreal, or am I the only uninformed one? I just learned it. In my search for a hotel, this B&B popped up with consumer satisfaction of an unprecedented score (I've never seen one so high) of 5.0/5.0 and it's located very close to a metro station. Almost perfect, except the metro station isn't one of those that I prefer (would be better if it's closer to the 2 parks I intend to run around). Then I learned it's in the gay village and it's a gay run hotel. Don't know if they only serve gay customers exclusively. But now it gets me very curious. I'm still searching for a hotel close to one of the metro stations near the 2 parks though.

Hey Lily, I hesitated to ask if you're interested in a FE or an evening run during my stay in Montreal. I'd very much like to meet you. But  I haven't run much for a while and probably have slowed down a bit to keep up with your pace.

Cyberic

I'm back from vacation, and exhausted. I'm looking for a hotel for my stay in Montreal and found quite a few of them are already not available for the period of time I'll be in the city. Looks like it's a very popular city for summertime getaway. I'm still searching for one near a metro station as I've decided not to rent a car. Does anybody here know there's a gay village in Montreal, or am I the only uninformed one? I just learned it. In my search for a hotel, this B&B popped up with consumer satisfaction of an unprecedented score (I've never seen one so high) of 5.0/5.0 and it's located very close to a metro station. Almost perfect, except the metro station isn't one of those that I prefer (would be better if it's closer to the 2 parks I intend to run around). Then I learned it's in the gay village and it's a gay run hotel. Don't know if they only serve gay customers exclusively. But now it gets me very curious. I'm still searching for a hotel close to one of the metro stations near the 2 parks though.

Hey Lily, I hesitated to ask if you're interested in a FE or an evening run during my stay in Montreal. I'd very much like to meet you. But  I haven't run much for a while and probably have slowed down a bit to keep up with your pace.

Big grin

They don't only serve gay people in the Village, but it is a very active neighborhood. They party a lot, and discretion is not the word I would use to describe their general behavior Big grin

Depending on your point of view on the subject, and your level of tolerance... I have a family and I sure wouldn't feel threatened in the Village. Wouldn't be my first choice though.

happylily

The gay village is nice and friendly to all. Chances are that that B&B is very well run. That area is very typical of Montreal with lots of good restaurants, bars, fun stores and nice streets (nice in a Montreal way. Always expect lots of potholes and construction everywhere. That's just the way of this city). But it you do not like lots of action at night (I don't mean dangerous, just very loud parties and bars and a few flamboyant characters), then stay inside your hotel or choose another area. It is certainly not a bad area and it's actually very in (I think... Not being very in myself, I'm not exactly an expert on these things. )

I would love to meet with you for a meal, or coffee or a picnic in a park!

RSX

Is it Old Montreal where the street artists sell their work? We will most likely book our trip next week.

Cyberic

Is it Old Montreal where the street artists sell their work? We will most likely book our trip next week.

Yes, in Old Montreal, there are artists in the streets who sell their work.

RSX

Yes, in Old Montreal, there are artists in the streets who sell their work.

I bought some nice photos there years ago and want to check them out again.

happylily

style victorien

place jacques cartier

rues st paul et bonsecours

la basilique notre-dame

skygazer

Lily,

I'd be glad to meet you for a meal or picnic. Let me know what is more preferable to you. We can set up the time later.

I booked my hotel, a nice small local one near the Sherbrooke metro station . Their breakfast sounds really appealing. Chocolate croissant.  Sherbrooke station is only 2 stations from the party town village. The B&B I mentioned before does not start serving breakfast until 8am. That's a bit late if you need to attend some early business activity. Old Montreal looks really cool. Thanks for bringing it up. I had not heard of it before. I'd like to stroll in the street for a couple of evenings in Old Montreal.

I have one more question, do I have to use Canadian dollars (bills and coins) in Montreal? For bus, metro, and other things? Do almost all stores accept credit card like in the US?

Thanks.

happylily

I have one more question, do I have to use Canadian dollars (bills and coins) in Montreal? You can use US$, but the exchange rate in stores, etc... won't be as good as what you'd get if you went through a bank or currency exchange place.

For bus, metro, and other things? Coins will be accepted as if they were Canadians. Some smaller places may not offer to convert, they'll take your money as if Canadian (so you will lose in the exchange).

Do almost all stores accept credit card like in the US? Yes. Same as in the US.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I have one more question, do I have to use Canadian dollars (bills and coins) in Montreal? You can use US$, but the exchange rate in stores, etc... won't be as good as what you'd get if you went through a bank or currency exchange place.

For bus, metro, and other things? Coins will be accepted as if they were Canadians. Some smaller places may not offer to convert, they'll take your money as if Canadian (so you will lose in the exchange).

Exchange rate as of close of markets today was 1.00 USD = 1.0738 CAD.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

RSX

In the old days we used to get a lot of Canadian $ and traveler's checks before we hit any province. Now we bring a little cash via the duty free border shop if you come by car, and use plastic in most stores. Credit card bills come back in USD and the exchange rates are usually fair.

Cell phones however are used sparingly.