Beginners and Beyond

Help! Montreal, what to see and where to stay? (Read 64 times)

happylily

Exchange rate as of close of markets today was 1.00 USD = 1.0738 CAD.

Wow... Time to go shopping online from American stores!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Cyberic

If you don't have canadian Money, only US, you might get "robbed" in some places where they'll give you 1 for 1. Probably not in touristic areas (as old Montreal, or downtown) but if you walk North from Metro Sherbrooke (good choice by the way, much better spot than the village IMO) on St-Denis street, I'm not sure all stores will give you a faix Xchange rate. But as RSX said, use your credit card.

Canadians get robbed for their cell phone air time. I don't know what American copanies will charge when you are in Canada, but it's probably waay too much.

RSX

If you don't have canadian Money, only US, you might get "robbed" in some places where they'll give you 1 for 1. Probably not in touristic areas (as old Montreal, or downtown) but if you walk North from Metro Sherbrooke (good choice by the way, much better spot than the village IMO) on St-Denis street, I'm not sure all stores will give you a faix Xchange rate. But as RSX said, use your credit card.

Canadians get robbed for their cell phone air time. I don't know what American copanies will charge when you are in Canada, but it's probably waay too much.

We probably have the same type of cell ripoff. My wife turned off my data roaming after we crossed the border last year unbeknownst to me as she had researched what the $ hits were. Beth was trying to text me but I only picked them up when we hit certain areas that had free wifi.I later fixed the phone part somehow.

skygazer

I'm learning French from BBC's online program now, 15 min a day. Hopefully by the time I get to Montreal I'd be able to speak a few sentences and follow the signs in French.

I found the French don't know how to spell "blue" the right way.

I'll be using my credit card most of the time. But talking about the cellphone, I was going to use mine in Montreal after being amazed by the phone's performance in my last trip (in the US). I'd planned to use it for travel information, maps/directions (astonishingly accurate and FAST), photo/video taking, notes, and phone/texting. I probably have to carry some information and maps with me now being aware of the data roaming issue.

RSX

My wife is going through her Priceline research. I think my last question is Longueuil vs. staying near the airport. Are there any advantages to staying near the airport which looks cheaper? I'm betting Longueuil has better running etc. but am wondering what other advantages there are.

happylily

My wife is going through her Priceline research. I think my last question is Longueuil vs. staying near the airport. Are there any advantages to staying near the airport which looks cheaper? I'm betting Longueuil has better running etc. but am wondering what other advantages there are.

The airport is in Dorval, on the island. Public transport to downtown would be by train or bus and would take longer than the subway between Longueuil and Montreal. Dorval and the cities around it have really nothing to offer a visitor, it's just suburbia (and mostly English speaking suburbia, so much less fun, of course. ). If you plan on driving from Dorval to Montreal, you risk getting stuck in traffic, due to rush hour and endless road repairs. Damn... I just checked on Expedia and never realized how expensive it could be to stay downtown Montreal. Have you checked B&B options? What are your dates, again? PM me, or Cyber, if you have questions. I'll be on summer vacation starting tomorrow afternoon and will have more time to do research for you and Sky.

onemile

I booked at Hotel Zero 1.  Is this neighborhood alright? Some of the reviews were sketchy but most were good and it seems in a good location - walking distance to old Montreal.  Also, can I run on the path by the canal? Is that a good place to run?

happylily

I booked at Hotel Zero 1.  Is this neighborhood alright? Some of the reviews were sketchy but most were good and it seems in a good location - walking distance to old Montreal.  Also, can I run on the path by the canal? Is that a good place to run?

I had never heard of the place but it looks great! Yes, it's a good area, central to many things and old Montreal is definitely a must see when you're here. You can run on the path by the canal.

I read a few of the bad reviews on Tripadvisor. I can't comment on the tired decor, but regarding the homeless people, we do have some (mostly older mentally ill people and some young people who choose homelessness as a way of life). They hang downtown and none of them are dangerous, as far as I know.

onemile

I had never heard of the place but it looks great! Yes, it's a good area, central to many things and old Montreal is definitely a must see when you're here. You can run on the path by the canal.

I read a few of the bad reviews on Tripadvisor. I can't comment on the tired decor, but regarding the homeless people, we do have some (mostly older mentally ill people and some young people who choose homelessness as a way of life). They hang downtown and none of them are dangerous, as far as I know.

Good.  We're only staying a couple nights before heading to Mont Tremblant but wanted a chance to see the city.  The comments about the homeless people were the ones that made me wonder but most of the reviews are good and the price was right.

happylily

Good.  We're only staying a couple nights before heading to Mont Tremblant but wanted a chance to see the city.  The comments about the homeless people were the ones that made me wonder but most of the reviews are good and the price was right.

I saw homeless people in the ritzy parts of Chicago and never thought anything of it. We can't really tell people to get out of certain areas just because they are the nicer areas, right? I guess they hang there in hopes that business people and tourists will give them something. My SIL brings food to a few of the regulars on her corner street (she lives near Ste-Catherine St., downtown). I rarely give anything anymore, especially to the younger ones. I guess I've become desensitized over the years. Not a good thing.

RSX

The airport is in Dorval, on the island. Public transport to downtown would be by train or bus and would take longer than the subway between Longueuil and Montreal. Dorval and the cities around it have really nothing to offer a visitor, it's just suburbia (and mostly English speaking suburbia, so much less fun, of course. ). If you plan on driving from Dorval to Montreal, you risk getting stuck in traffic, due to rush hour and endless road repairs. Damn... I just checked on Expedia and never realized how expensive it could be to stay downtown Montreal. Have you checked B&B options? What are your dates, again? PM me, or Cyber, if you have questions. I'll be on summer vacation starting tomorrow afternoon and will have more time to do research for you and Sky.

Thanks again. We are on vacation starting August 1st. Most likely we will do 4 nights, possibly starting Sunday. Priceline breaks down a city into zones, and Old Montreal is the highest. You just convinced us that Longueuil  it is.

As far as homeless folks I bet we all run into that situation in bigger cities. Boston obviously has it's share. We saw a bunch in Vancouver and Seattle last Summer. In Vancouver it struck us how young they were. Seattle seemed to have a large amount of them, but I have never had a problem anywhere.

onemile

I saw homeless people in the ritzy parts of Chicago and never thought anything of it. We can't really tell people to get out of certain areas just because they are the nicer areas, right? I guess they hang there in hopes that business people and tourists will give them something. My SIL brings food to a few of the regulars on her corner street (she lives near Ste-Catherine St., downtown). I rarely give anything anymore, especially to the younger ones. I guess I've become desensitized over the years. Not a good thing.

Yeah, there are plenty of panhandlers in downtown Milwaukee too.  As long as it's a decent area it doesn't really bother me.

Cyberic

I'm a little late but definitely Longueil over Dorval.,

RSX

Perhaps the last question. Best Western Brossard sounds like a great deal. What do either of you think?

happylily

Perhaps the last question. Best Western Brossard sounds like a great deal. What do either of you think?

Brossard is mall city. Not very attractive, but lots of restaurants, very English speaking and a short easy drive to the subway (metro) in Longueuil. In Longueuil, you can park your car in the metro parking lot. I'm not sure how much it is to park for the whole day, but I would imagine at least $10, so think of that for your budget. How much per night were you budgeting? I understand how scary the amount becomes when you multiply by four nights, plus taxes on top. I looked at the price for a double bed in a motel in the town next to mine, which is about a 15 minute car drive to the metro in Longueuil: $320 plus taxes for 4 nights. The decor is definitely tired, but on the up side, you can ask for the room with the mirror on the ceiling.