Beginners and Beyond

race bandits (Read 136 times)

Hip Redux

I was at a 15K this morning and the second winner overall came through without a race bib.  It was a small race, no timing chip, etc and they were asking him for his number when he came through... and when they realized he didn't have one, he got a big thumbs down from the volunteers.   The winner was in at ~50min and he was only a minute behind.

If you are banditing a race you have a really good chance of winning, don't you realize you're going to piss off the organizers?  Or do you just not care?  Ignoring the obvious reasons with banditing, it's not like you're coming in with a crowd and are going to go unnoticed if you come in 2nd overall.

Very odd.

delicate flower

Total shit move.  Hopefully he's got some bad running karma coming his way.

<3

Yeah, the running gods are going to smite his IT band.

I don't imagine there is too much support here for banditing in general, but it is one thing to bandit Chicago & finish in 4 hours, and something totally different at a small race where you are in front of the pack.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Ugh.  Some people don't view banditing a bad thing.  I just consider it cheating (the RD, the volunteers, etc.)

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

xor

There are different levels of badness when it comes to banditry (and different types)... and some races have bigger issues with it than others.  For example, the Portland Marathon will metaphorically shoot you on sight for it.  Seriously, at M17 of the course, they have people who attempt to physically remove bandits.  Meanwhile, the Boston Marathon?  Well, I won't say they *encourage* it... but for the bandits who start in the Way Back, after all the runners have gone through, they really really don't care.

But in this situation?  Big time booooooooooo.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I've always thought that even among bandits actually crossing the finish line was considered bad form.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Hip Redux

Meanwhile, the Boston Marathon?  Well, I won't say they *encourage* it... but for the bandits who start in the Way Back, after all the runners have gone through, they really really don't care.

Well, it was in Massachusetts, maybe he was using this as a warm up to his Boston banditing.  Roll eyes

LRB

Well, it was in Massachusetts, maybe he was using this as a warm up to his Boston banditing.  Roll eyes

Like!

I guess even bandits need a training plan. He probably does intervals by banditing local high school track meets.

Dave

tinman11

One local race director listed a bandit's 11 k time in the results, but printed in bold type beside his name - BANDIT. 

In a marathon last week, about 1/2 mile into the race, we were transitioning from a wide road onto a path that was wide enough for about 3 or 4 people, when one of the runners was joined by two friends.

They jumped right in front of a pack of about 10 of us and affected our transition and pace, taking up the entire path as they said their hello's, giggled, adjusted earbuds, headbands, etc. as we all tried to pick our way around them without having to step into the rain soaked grass.

I don't know if they were running the entire distance but I kind of doubt it.  It was an open course so they had a right to be there I guess, but man, I wish they had shown a little respect for those of us who trained and paid to run the race.

And then there's the guy following his wife on a bike for the entire distance.  But not with her.  He's way behind, then way ahead, then back, then the other way, then taking her jacket, and so on and so on...........

Ok biker guy, I understand you've run a marathon before, and you think that gives you the right to weave in and out of our race today.......

This one guy must have passed me going each direction about 15 times last week.  That can be very annoying.

LRB

...They jumped right in front of a pack of about 10 of us and affected our transition and pace, taking up the entire path as they said their hello's, giggled, adjusted earbuds, headbands, etc. as we all tried to pick our way around them without having to step into the rain soaked grass....

And then there's the guy following his wife on a bike for the entire distance.  But not with her.  He's way behind, then way ahead, then back, then the other way, then taking her jacket, and so on and so on...........

Not cool!

Dave, hilarious!

Venomized

Drink up moho's!!

Well he was a Masshole then.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Then there was the bandit at Boston that ran beside me from Ashland to Framingham. Most people might not have recognized him for a bandit because he did have a number that was very similar in design to what was used at Boston that year. How did I quickly realize he was a bandit? His number was the same as mine!

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

RSX

Well he was a Masshole then.

Tough crowd. My first Boston was as a bandit. I did 4 more legit there as punishment. Boston is said to average 3,000 bandits a year. I used to always know someone who did the full that way. Now I just know people who run with their friends the last half.

Adam_McAllen

Beer-and-waffle Powered

Banditing FTW? That guy's an asshat.

In the words of my late-coach : Just hang in there, relax... and at the end of a race anyone you see.....just pass them