Beginners and Beyond

When Do you Retire your Race Shoes? (Read 78 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Mainly I'm looking for an excuse to buy new shoes before the marathon 

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

bluerun

Super B****

You need an excuse to buy new shoes?… I never got that memo.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

catwhoorg

Labrat

When it hurts my legs (normally calves) to run on them

Then they get relegated to the TM for another little while.

My current active shoes have ~250 and ~330 miles on them.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

I voted 500. I don't treat my race shoes any differently than my other shoes. Although maybe I should. And I am thinking about making it closer to 400, as I wear the outside right heel pretty badly. I am probably whatever the opposite of a shoe whore is.

In any case you don't need anyone here to tell you to buy new shoes. Although plenty will be happy to do so.

Dave

LRB

I guess it depends on the shoe.  My 6.9 ounce racing flats would never see anything close to 500 miles, mostly because they are 6.9 ounces.  lol.

It depends on the brand as well, I can get north of 500 miles out of my interval and daily trainers (both Asics), but at 300 miles my Nike Lunarglide 3's were leaned back like Fat Joe.

I have another pair of Asics that take a shit around 400 miles, so there is a lot at play there.

Since I have been stock piling shoes I have been doing a side by side test when I think a shoe is nearing its end.  I will take a run in a new pair of that same model to see how vast the difference is, if any.  That seems to be the best test of all.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Okay, so I've already made my mind up that I am buying a new pair of race shoes but I do need help on deciding between these three. They are both support and have cushioning, I am currently training with the Asics GT 2000 2's (I have 4 pairs) but I find both of those Brooks Ravenna 5's to be pretty damn cute.

http://www.runningwarehouse.com/Brooks_Ravenna_5/descpageWRS-BRAV5W4.html

http://www.runningwarehouse.com/Brooks_Ravenna_5_Nightlife/descpageWRS-BR5NW1.html

http://www.runningwarehouse.com/ASICS_GT_2000_2/descpageWRS-A2K2W5.html

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

delicate flower

I guess it depends on the shoe. 

Agreed.  My NB 1400's would last about 200 miles.  My Adidas Adios 2's have 380 miles on them.  I am transitioning them to a back up role now, so they won't gt much more use.  Also, my racing shoes are my every day shoes.  Love me my racing flats!

<3

Docket_Rocket

My shoes usually never lasted more than 350 miles before they sucked. Rotating shoes sure helps extending their life though.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

adkkev

What's a "race shoe"??  Guess I'm not much of a "runner" 'cause I don't have a "race shoe".

And Altras or GTFO. 

B-Plus

Who's the balla in this thread?

Okay, so I've already made my mind up that I am buying a new pair of race shoes but I do need help on deciding between these three. They are both support and have cushioning, I am currently training with the Asics GT 2000 2's (I have 4 pairs) but I find both of those Brooks Ravenna 5's to be pretty damn cute.

I am on my 3rd pair of Ravennas. The are fine. I don't know a damn thing about shoes, but they were originally recommended by the LRS and I've just stuck with them. They sort of evolved into the shoe I wear for races, I guess therefore my race shoe. No opinion on the cuteness.

Dave

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I am on my 3rd pair of Ravennas. The are fine. I don't know a damn thing about shoes, but they were originally recommended by the LRS and I've just stuck with them. They sort of evolved into the shoe I wear for races, I guess therefore my race shoe. No opinion on the cuteness.

Lol, well I went ahead and bought the purple looking ones. They won't be in stock and ready to ship until September 15 so I'll try them during a couple training runs to see how they feel, don't want to find out during 26.2 miles that they are so not the shoes for me.

PRs

hog4life

Race shoes? Mine are called running shoes.

hog4life

If you've never the Ravenna, just make sure you put more than a couple of runs on them before you jump into 26.2. It's not the shoe itself, but something different than you've been wearing.

You need an excuse to buy new shoes?… I never got that memo.

+1

For me it depends on the shoe. But other than one model that really didn't work for me I don't think I've ever retired a pair with less than 400-500 miles on them.