Beginners and Beyond

Multi-Day Wednesday Penguins (Read 23 times)

PADRunner

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

So many days to chose from today I couldn't decide. So light the a Virtual candelabra in space, and make your mailman a bowl of  stuffed mushroom soup. Send a Quack out to Bob Hope let him know that cancer sucks!

Today's holiday list:

Today is Digital Learning Day!

Today is Liberace Day!

Today is National Create A Vacuum Day!

Today is National Homemade Soup Day!

Today is National Stuffed Mushroom Day!

Today is National Thank a Mailman Day!

Today is Quacker Day!

Today is USO Day!

Today is World Cancer Day!

PADRunner

6 Miles done this morning.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have 9 miles with 5 faster than MP tonight.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I ended up going to Fort Sam Houston and did hills...3.8 miles of hills - and these ain't baby hills either!  6 uphills and 3 downhills.   It was QUITE wet and rained on me the whole way.   At one point, I had a funny moment.  I'd just crested one of the hills and had come to a stop sign and there was this Army major sitting in his vehicle at the stop sign, and he had a canoe tied to the top of his SUV.  I walked over and tapped on his window and he rolled it down, and I said to him, "Jeez, Major, just how much rain are you expecting today?"  At which he laughed out loud and said "Thanks very much, I was having a bit of a bad work day and I needed a laugh!"  Glad I could help! I was quite soaked when I got back to the gym and the post-run hot shower felt GREAT.  I actually felt much better after that, so maybe I ran some of the crud out of me.   Got back home and took a short nap too, and that seemed to help also.  Back to work tomorrow.

Well, I am back at work this morning but only for a half-day.  I did go to the doctor and apparently I have some type of non-contagious virus crud. The doc did give me some type of 'booster' shot and also I got this 'pnuemonia vaccination - apparently when you're over 60, you are at greater risk - and then he sent me home, telling me I'd probably feel a bit tired and then start feeling like my old self about Thursday, this stuff just has to run its course.  Boy, was he right.  After I got home yesterday, between napping and going to bed early, I must've slept about 15 hours!  I'm at work today but only for another half-day per his instructions and then on home.  After work, I may just go out and try to get a VERY short run in, or at least a bit of a walk, just to do something...that seems to help me nap better, lol.

Crazy traffic this morning - 15 car pileup in San Antonio!  I was heading right for that area but luckily heard about it on the radio, so diverted and avoided it by using back roads to get to work.

Oh, if you missed it yesterday, here is my running photo from the 7K I did on Sunday.  A friend took this of me on the course.  What good form, huh?

Someone asked about those railroad tracks in that photo that 'go nowhere', lol.  Before this community was built,there was a big quarry in that area, and the tracks were for the small train at the quarry that moved rocks, debris, etc.

B-Plus...nice Bling photo there yesterday, congratulations!

Step...wow, that is a HUGE driveway you have there!  How long does it take to get all the snow removed from that thing?

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

Nice pic, Scotty.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Nice pic, Scotty.

Yeah, but in all my running photos, I never get a 'floater'....I guess I'm too fat to float, lol.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Zelanie

Scotty, I think you might need to turn in your fat guy card here pretty soon.

I completed my first actual post-marathon track workout last night (unless you count the time that I ran 4 x 400 on the treadmill, or the time that I tried to run 4 x 400 outside and gave up after 100m).  I ran the 8 x 600 Hanson's workout that a friend was doing.  I'm happy to say, it felt normal again- not nearly the intense suckfest that I felt when trying speedwork a month ago.  I took it a bit easy on pace, but got the workout done.

Sapf- I did use Hanson's, but I will say the same thing to you that I heard when I started- it's not an easy plan because it has a shorter LR.  It wears you down.  Folks here were saying that in terms of challenge, it's probably harder than the Pfitz 18/55, for example.  It was a good program, and I liked it, but it was challenging!

Ginny- Track club starts after spring break, I think.  There is a Girls on the Run team that starts soon, so I'll likely be a running buddy for a girl again.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Nice picture, Scotty.

PAD: Good job getting it done early. I need to start doing that.

D: When and where is the next marathon?

Zel: are you signed up for any races? Signing up is a good motivator.

As for me, 5 recovery miles later tonight.

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!  I brought in the sleeve for my gladiator brace today, since I had a few rubbed spots yesterday.  We'll see if I can strap it tight enough not to fall down.  I'll take it out for a spin this afternoon, then I'll use it for quartet rehearsal tonight -- all that standing, bending, and moving tends to aggravate my knee.  Not that it stops me!

PAD -- wow, what a lot of days!  I'm all over digital learning, I love MOOCs.  I've started about eight, and finished four or five.

Docket -- Poor MP, you're always beating her times!!  

Scotty -- curious what was in the booster shot.  There's just not much you can do for a virus.  Hope you feel better soon!!

Zelanie -- Glad your intervals weren't a suckfest!!

Jack -- have a good 5!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Zelanie

HsM- Good luck with your new bionic knee power!

Jack- I think I'll sign up for the 10 miler in March. I don't know that I'll be able to PR it, but I think I'll be able to put a decent effort in.

Docket_Rocket

Nice picture, Scotty.

PAD: Good job getting it done early. I need to start doing that.

D: When and where is the next marathon?

Zel: are you signed up for any races? Signing up is a good motivator.

As for me, 5 recovery miles later tonight.

Paris, April 12.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

When I got that shot, it really hurt my arm for several days.  Yours also, Scott?

Todays run depends on when we pick up DD from the train station.  Suppose we will have to feed her too.

Brilliant

Good morning Penguins!

Nice running, PAD.  You are so consistent; you are going to do great on your marathon.

Zel, I'm glad you had such a good workout!

Damaris, have a great fast run tonight.

Jack, enjoy the recovery run.

Scotty, I hope you are back in good health soon - I'm not your doctor, but should you really be running in the cold rain?!

HopesMom, funny that you need your brace for the vigorous choir practice!

Jerry, have fun with your daughter.

9.5 done for me this morning, including 7 at MP.

MTA:  Just saw the 2015 in 2015 weekly results.  Congrats to 2 Penguins for individual awards this week:  PAD with most miles banked, and Zel got a consistency award!

Singer who runs a smidge

Granted that this is NOT my chorus, but this is the kind of singing I do!

Melodeers, singing Happy

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Then of course there's the quartet version, which is also NOT my quartet!

GQ singing Hot Knife