Beginners and Beyond

Luke's Trail Run RR: A Humbling Experience (Read 125 times)

Luke79

I ain't shit.

Don't take that the wrong way, it's just to say that I have a better sense of where I am versus people who run really well.  I ran my 10 mile trail race this morning and it was brutal.  The hills were crazy and it was mostly roller coaster style the whole way, with a couple of fast sections here and there.  That course kicked my ass.  I came in at 1:59:55 (12:00 pace), so I was glad about getting sub 2 hours.  To put that time into perspective, look at my 15k PR in my sig.

2 things that were wrong here:  1) I went out too fast for the first few miles (trying to hang with the big dogs)  2) I did not run sufficient mileage in preparation for this race.  That's okay though, at least I know that.

All that being said, it was a great experience for me and I know where I need to go from here to prepare for my HM next month.  I really did feel great after the race and they had burgers and beer Smile  I will have pics one day when I get a smart phone, I know they make a RR much more interesting.  Okay, thanks for reading guys.  Please offer any feedback if you feel so inclined.

Luke

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Hey, sorry you're not feeling that good about the race after being so psyched for it. Do you think getting that amped up sapped any of your energy? I try to stay pretty low key before races, but that's also my personality. Obviously the course was challenging when looking at your 15k time for comparison...that's what is so tricky about trail racing and really makes each race totally unique. At least you got some good perspective on your training and you can work to build yourself up for your half. As for not going out too hard...it seems so simple, but it's not. Keep at it and you'll get to where you want to be. Nice job breaking 2 on a tough course.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

Luke79

Thanks SIAR.  I feel fine about the race itself, I just realize that I'm not some badass that can go out on low mileage and perform well at longer distances (relatively speaking).  I need to do the work, and I intend to do just that going forward.

Misty

I was wondering how it went! Sounds like a really tough course! I had second (third) thoughts about not running it all this week but I have to say after hearing how tough it was I'm glad I didn't. I'm sorry you had a hard time but I also hope you had some fun too! Burgers and beer had to help  right? What HM are you doing next month? I was looking at Hilly Pines in Ruston but haven't decided.

Misty

Bless your heart.

Luke79

Hey Misty.  I'm doing the Run the Line Half in Texarkana on Feb. 17th.  I'm just ready to get one under my belt, or shoes I should say.

It was a really tough course, but a chick won all out with a 58:40, that's a 5:52 pace.  That is just unbelievable...I can't even fathom how that's possible on that course.  Anyway, I'll be back much better next year.

Misty

Hey Misty.  I'm doing the Run the Line Half in Texarkana on Feb. 17th.  I'm just ready to get one under my belt, or shoes I should say.

It was a really tough course, but a chick won all out with a 58:40, that's a 5:52 pace.  That is just unbelievable...I can't even fathom how that's possible on that course.  Anyway, I'll be back much better next year.

Oh duh, I see your sig line now. I forget we have them here :P.  Good luck at your half!  And 5:52 pace?? Incredible.

Misty

Bless your heart.

runmomto3boys

Oh, shoot, Luke!  I was wondering how it went.  It sounds like a really difficult course.  I can't imagine!   Clearly, this was a learning experience for you and you made it through and finished under 2:00, which is great!!!  You'll get 'em next time at that HM.  I'm sure of it!  Congratulations on finishing the race!!

Trail Monster

Trail running, even if not technical, takes a lot of practice and work to get it right. It doesn't matter how fast you are on the road, if you don't run trails in practice you won't run well on them in a race. My DH learned that the hard way but now he can do pretty well. I prefer trails to roads so I usually place better on trails. Just train for the course you're going to race (preferrably on the course itself when possible) and you'll see big improvements!

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Luke79

You're exactly right Banshee.  The problem is I trained on relatively flat trails compared to these bad boys.  I too, prefer trail running...except for the lack of people sometimes.

Thanks Heidi.  I will get em at the HM...no doubt.

Supersono99

Sounds like you enjoyed it and learned from it, so I'd say a good day in that regard. Those trails sound tough.

outoftheblue

I think you ran a good race, all things considered.   Big props for getting out there and trying something new.  Running trails really is a different experience.  It's not just the hills, its the uneven surfaces and learning where and how to place your feet.  During the summer and fall, I try to get a lot of trail running in and am always amazed at how much slower I am than on roads for equivalent effort.

Life is good.

Docket_Rocket

Good job on finishing!  Trails (especially technical trails) are a whole different animal.  Still, you finished, you learned, and I'm sure you'll attempt it again!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Nice job Luke... "brutal" is exactly the right word for hilly trail races.

I wouldn't beat yourself up too much, trail runs are usually slower than road runs.  Sounds like a great race, and you can't beat burgers and beer afterward!  Winning!

Take Charge. Train Harder. Suck Less. No Excuses.

StepbyStep-SH

Every race is a learning experience - and trail races are tough teachers. Regroup and have fun at your half!

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.