Beginners and Beyond

Paula Radcliffe "Career may be over" (Read 148 times)

catwhoorg

Labrat

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/21919132

Paula Radcliffe has admitted she may never be able to compete again after complications with a foot injury left her struggling to run.

The British world marathon record holder, 39, has not run beyond a short jog for eight months, since she was ruled out of the 2012 London Olympics.

Would be great to see her in one last "good bye" race, but she shouldn't push to do so if it would cause further long term issues.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Chairman

I thought she retired years ago.

Coalition for a Free and Independent New Jersey

Docket_Rocket

Too sad to see her retiring like this.  Hope her foot recovers.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

happylily

That is sad if her career is to end in this manner. I really like her.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

catwhoorg

Labrat

I thought she retired years ago.

Nope, but since her first "child break" in 2006-7 she has been rather plagued with injuries.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

I read this once and tend to agree with it: "All things end badly otherwise they wouldn't end."

It's rare that athletes get to go out on top. Unfortunate for her but she is 39 years old and running at an elite level was going to end one way or another. Kudos on a great career.

Dr. Cornsitter

Nope, but since her first "child break" in 2006-7 she has been rather plagued with injuries.

I blame the children.

But that's truly unfortunate. That is extremely young, even if she is an elite runner, to not be able to go for more than a short jog.

Quote from BeachRunner3234 on 6/25/2013 at 8:20 PM:

So I'm currently sitting with a bag of frozen corn in my ass.

Buelligan

She had a great career.  I don't see anything sad about anyone giving it all they had before they quit.  She'll never wonder "what if."  She'll know.

She's leaving the only way she can; kicking and screaming.  That's the way I want to be dragged out.