Beginners and Beyond

And you were proud of YOUR monthly PR! (Read 200 times)

A picture of Meb Keflezighi's Garmin:
    (taken from his Twitter feed)

"December 195 miles in 20:22:33 (6:16 average pace)"

195 miles in 20 hours....  Jesus! :-)   --- I wonder what kind of results he could put up if he trained for and ran a 24-hour race.... :-)

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

delicate flower

Heh, his January run time just about matches my time for my mileage PR month (245 miles).  He ran 90 miles more though.  And here I thought 8:55 pace for 245 miles wasn't all that bad.  Big grin

<3

happylily

Recovery miles = 6:45 pace?

I read an article about Paula Radcliffe where she says she was running 14 miles a day, while 5 month pregnant, at an average pace of 6:26. THAT is a real bad ass. Big grin

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Love the Half

One thing that popped in my mind is that he was running a little over an hour a day in those 3 months (sort of on average). That's what normal people run. He just runs a lot faster than us. Smile

This is important enough to bear repeating.  If you want to run your fastest, there is a limit to how much time you should spend on your feet and that ends up being about 10 hours per week.  You can run more than that but you'll have to start cutting back on the amount or intensity of your speed work.  We tend to focus on mileage but your body just knows time on feet.  10 hours is 10 hours whether you are Meb or a recreational runner.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

an amazing likeness

For the same level...some RA runner's logs worth looking at:

schneider

Don S

Scully

DoppleBock

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Goorun

schneider

Don S

Scully

DoppleBock

What the hell happened to DoppleBock in the last 7 day ?

Slow and steady never wins anything.

One thing that popped in my mind is that he was running a little over an hour a day in those 3 months (sort of on average). That's what normal people run. He just runs a lot faster than us. Smile

That's what I noticed also. Less than 10hr/wk of running. But it looks like he's ramping up from Dec through Feb so far.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

schneider

Don S

Scully

DoppleBock

Holy crap, those are otherworldly. I was particularly taken by Don S, who has in fact already surpassed 1000 miles in 2013. And nearly as impressive, a stretch of about 2 solid weeks of 10-20/day ALL on the treadmill. I guess Minneapolis will do that to you. He did have 1 run where he plodded along at a 9:18 snail's pace - oh by the way it was a 45-miler.

Dave

Holy crap, those are otherworldly. I was particularly taken by Don S, who has in fact already surpassed 1000 miles in 2013. And nearly as impressive, a stretch of about 2 solid weeks of 10-20/day ALL on the treadmill. I guess Minneapolis will do that to you. He did have 1 run where he plodded along at a 9:18 snail's pace - oh by the way it was a 45-miler.

I know Don and have run with him a few times. He is a beast. He's got a goal of 150 miles for a 24 hour run this summer here. It's on a course that circles a lake. I'm planning on stopping by to support him by sitting in a chair with a beer and yelling "you're almost there!".

LRB

Dude wears Skechers, and a turquoise and aqua Garmin.

I'm doing it wrong.

That is all.

Chairman

I'm actually surprised that it is so low Surprised

I think he runs some recovery miles without his Garmin.

Maybe, maybe not. I heard rumors that Ryan Hall only does about 90 mpw at the most. Bernard Lagat claims he tops out at about 60, though says he got up into the 80s to get ready for the NYC half.

People like to hype up mileage, but I think there are tremendous diminishing returns past a certain point, and I suspect many runners sacrifice more important training in order to get that sexy weekly mileage in their training log.

Coalition for a Free and Independent New Jersey

Nevrgivup

Maybe, maybe not. I heard rumors that Ryan Hall only does about 90 mpw at the most. Bernard Lagat claims he tops out at about 60, though says he got up into the 80s to get ready for the NYC half.

People like to hype up mileage, but I think there are tremendous diminishing returns past a certain point, and I suspect many runners sacrifice more important training in order to get that sexy weekly mileage in their training log.

Can't agree with you more on this. Personally, my body starts to break down after a certain mileage point. I've learned over the years that its better to have quality runs than quantity of runs.

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

an amazing likeness

I know Don and have run with him a few times. He is a beast. He's got a goal of 150 miles for a 24 hour run this summer here. It's on a course that circles a lake. I'm planning on stopping by to support him by sitting in a chair with a beer and yelling "you're almost there!".

DoppleBock represented the USA in a 24 hour race a few years ago and ran 154 miles and his last 5K, after 24 hours,  was his fastest....he's on a "break" from running right now, so only has 550 miles ytd -- 347 in January.

(Amazingly, all the samples I listed are from frozen tundra states....they're not doing this in sunshine)

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

lsp

Lump Off

When does the weekly mileage get sexy?  I'd like to see some sexy mileage.

Yeah, that's my excuse. My diminishing point is when I get tired. Smile

I am guessing most of the people who do it (and they will have to speak for themselves) are not doing it to sex up their training logs, but because they love doing it (and they can).

Dave