Beginners and Beyond

Penguin's Wednesdaily Weathernesia (Read 15 times)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the caommon benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

weathernesia (noun) : loss of memory about the weather report  

Snow...What snow????

Short run after work ( if the knee holds up).

Bin Running

Jerry, morning. More snow? Oh no.

6M done before dinner at 8:30pm. Difficult to find time to jog now that wife is back to work. May have to be more creative.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I think I woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning....

photo PenguinDog_zpscde4cc5a.jpg

I had a very nice run/walk yesterday after work.  Weather was so pleasant - 72 degrees, very sunny, cloudless blue skies - that I went to the San Antonio Riverwalk for my miles.  Goal was to do 3 easy miles, but I felt so good and the day was so pleasant that I kept going for a while longer and ended up with 4.1 miles.  Nice.   Slept pretty good last night, but had a weird dream in which Dave2, Zelanie, and SIAR took me to the track to try and teach me about intervals and speedwork, lol. They told me "We know you're slower than us, Scotty, so just follow our backs and do what we do."  So they took off and I followed, and around the track we went!  But then I noticed this guy was on the infield of the track and he had this beautiful Great Dane...so I diverted off into the infield to go play with the dog.    Dave looked around behind him and said "Uh oh...doggie in the infield, I think we just lost Scotty...."   and then my cat woke me up, meowing in my face telling me to let him out.   Even in my dreams, I guess I'm just not cut out for doing speeedwork, lol.    We still have crazy weather.  Yesterday a high of 75.  Today we are back in the 30s this morning and our high will only be in the 50s.  Tomorrow we may get freezing rain!  Sheesh!   Today is a non-running day, plan on my weight training circuit after work.

Your knee better hold up, Jerry. Falling down is no fun.

Congrats on getting your 6 in, Bin.  Good luck with the creativity!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I did make it to the gym last night, but only got 1 elliptical mile and 2 TM miles in before they were closing and kicked me off the treadmill. Went to 6am spin class this morning and as soon as I walked into the gym got a call my school is closed due to the snow and ice storm. So I went to class and stayed another hour after to do strength stuff. Now going to relax and watch some TV.

Update on my cousin's wife: They moved her to Cornell Medical in NYC very early this morning before the storm hit to have brain surgery by the best surgeon for the type of brain surgery she needs in order to remove the tumor that is causing all these issues and will kill her soon if it doesn't come out. It was a dangerous transfer because she is still on life support due to the cardiomyopathy and her heart being very weak, but she is in the best place possible to have the brain surgery that she needs in order to live. Surgery today hopefully. Prayers!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  Lots to do today at work, which is unfortunate since I got home late last night.  So mostly I'd rather kick back in my office chair and nap, but I probably shouldn't!  It's supposed to get up in the 50's today, so if it quits raining, I might make it out for a walk.  And there should be yoga tonight.

Jerryb -- hope your knee behaves!!

Bin -- yeah, your easy days are over!!  

scotty -- laughing at last night's dream!!

kristin -- glad you're going to have an easy day today.  Thinking of your cousin's wife!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Zelanie

kristin- Good thoughts for your cousin's wife!  Hoping for a successful surgery!

Scotty- Haha!

I ran with a penguin mom from DDs robotics team yesterday.  She had been talking about meeting for a run for a while, but was worried she was too slow.  She wanted 2-3 and my schedule called for 8, so I ran 6 and then went to meet her.  In the end, we ran just over 3 miles, and were right at the top of what Daniels says my "easy" pace should be.  Perfect!  Plus I introduced her to the wonders of hand warmers in your gloves.  Good thing since we're getting another cold front and maybe even snow tomorrow.

Today I take Zoe up to Portland for her recheck and then maybe I'll get back in time to run the group track workout.

Bin Running

Scotty, that's one weird looking penguins.

Kristin, following your cousin DW on previous thread. Hope she get better soon.

Hopes, ya. 11pm and I just finished with the laundry.

Mel, looks like a new jogging partner. Are you following Daniels?

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  In and out of court all day.  Hoping to get my bike today, though.

Kristin, continued thoughts to your cousin's wife.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

SheCan

MOrning Jerry!

Bin-- good job finding time to get the run in.  Good luck to your family during this adjustment time.

Scotty-- Haha@ the doguin.  That sounds like such a good dream!  I love when I wake up and remember a feel-good dream.  Great job on the 4+ in the warm sunshine yesterday.

kristin-- glad you were able to use that extra time at the gym.  Try to relax today though I know your thoughts will be with your cousin.  Many hugs.

HsM-- Well if you can sneak a nap in, go for it.  ;-)   A walk and yoga sounds like a great day!

zelanie-- good run with a friend!  Good luck with Zoe.

Docket--  ohoh, hope the bike comes today also!

I slept late;  it's cold and wet.  Miles aren't ran yet.  Well, I suppose I'll drink another cup of coffee as I get ready slowly.  HOping the sprinkles will be gone by then.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Zelanie

Bin- Not really. I am doing Pfitz again but reading Daniels, and using his calculator for my paces.

D- Will you be able to get on the bike sooner than running after surgery?

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Kristin, good thoughts and hopes for your cousin-in-law!  Enjoy your unexpected day off as much as you can.

50s is pretty nice weather for your area for this time of year, HsM.  Hope you can get out and enjoy some of that!

Nice to have a friend to run with, Z!  Glad it worked out for both you and her.

Maybe, Damaris, they can deliver your bike to court and you can ride it home.

Hope your run went well, Cherie, and you did not get too wet.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

SheCan

Hope your run went well, Cherie, and you did not get too wet.

Why thank you!  Yes, it turned into a lovely run.  I did a hilly, woody route. It was overcast and cool, but nice when I started.   At one point a deer started coming up to me like it wanted me to pet it or something.  I finally had to yell and threaten to hit it with a rock.  They really can hurt people, and around here we have rabies, so i wanted to be careful. Then looked over and saw a buck with a full rack!  Rarely see those.  Up the road some more and a couple more deer ran across my path.

Shortly afterward the full sun came out, and thought, "Oh this is nice," right before it started to sleet even with the sun.  Not hard though, and it only lasted about 10/15 minutes or so.  So yeah, was a nice run. 

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Amazonian Princess

Good morning (well, it's still AM where I am

I think I had weathernesia and forgot how cold it can get without heat in our apartment! Baked brownies last night to keep the downstairs warm and brought them to work today; tonight I'll make biscotti if it's still chilly.

Jerry - hope your knee holds and you have a good run!

Bin - belated Happy New Year! DH and I celebrate with red envelopes to our nieces and nephews.

scotty - lol, where do you find these pictures?? I'm glad last night's dreams were better than the night before!

kristin - positive thoughts to you and your family; not to go too off track, but I peeked at your blog and OMG you are cute as a friggin' button! How many Sparkle Skirts do you have?

HsM - enjoy yoga! Does it help you sleep better? I think I sleep better on the nights I do yoga then foam-roll.

Zelanie - yay for you taking a penguin mom under your wing!  I used to walk and run with my former manager but she relocated and the after work groups disolved. Supporting a slow runner is awesome!

Docket - Hope your bike arrives! I love my hybrid and named her Peggy (uncomfortable seat, y'know)

She Can - I love sleeping in when it's cold and wet, or staying in my pj's as long as possible. Glad you had a nice run! On the trail I've been using I never really noticed the wildlife until last weekend when I saw ducks, geese, and I think 2 turkeys.

AFM, after lots of time coming to terms with a 15 minute mile being the best I can do, I ran three miles after work on Monday at 14:17, 14:00, and 13:05. The hell? Not able to converse as well as when I go slower, but not mams-out, either. Plan to run again tonight for repeatability.

Have a great day!

I can. I will. I am. 

Singer who runs a smidge

Good morning (well, it's still AM where I am

HsM - enjoy yoga! Does it help you sleep better? I think I sleep better on the nights I do yoga then foam-roll.

Have a great day!

I haven't noticed sleeping better, but it does seem to help me WALK better, less pain and all.  I think yoga does the same as my previous routine of squats and stretches, but it's less boring.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.