Beginners and Beyond

Stupid question about wearing layers and bib placement (Read 64 times)

outoftheblue

I'm thinking of  wearing a throw-away long sleeve shirt for the first couple miles of my marathon until I warm up.    But, how does that work if my bib with the timing chip is pinned to my tank-top underneath.   I assume the chip still works through one layer?   I note that the "final runner instructions"  both warns us to have our bibs visible "at all times" on the front of our shirts, but then also advises us to "dress in layers" and that throw-away layers will be collected for donation along the first 5 miles of the course.  

And, yes, I'm entering the final stages of taper madness.

Life is good.

Docket_Rocket

They always say the extra shirt might give timing mat issues but I am not sure if it's true.  What I would do is make sure you lift your shirt as you cross every mat you run with the shit.  That way, you have a better chance of the chip times registering.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

LRB

I pin the bib to my singlet and lift my jacket up as I cross the starting mats and have not had a problem.

As for the bib being visible I pull the front of my jacket up over my head and rest it on the back of my neck when approaching anyone official, which only lasts a couple of miles anyway.

LRB

They always say the extra shirt might give timing mat issues but I am not sure if it's true.  What I would do is make sure you lift your shirt as you cross every mat you run with the shit.  That way, you have a better chance of the chip times registering.

Or this. 

outoftheblue

Thanks -- that all makes sense.  I'm over-thinking things. 

Life is good.

I am pretty sure the chip would work through your shirt. But I predict you will not take any chances. I would think a big reason races tell you to show your bib is just to make sure you're not a bandit. And for your own benefit, it allows you to be tagged in race photos.

Dave

LRB

Thanks -- that all makes sense.  I'm over-thinking things. 

Due diligence, there is something to be said for it.

Docket_Rocket

Or taper....

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

You can try pinning the bib to the front of your leg.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

You can try pinning the bib to the front of your leg.

Ouch! That could hurt. Try pinning it to the front of your shorts instead.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Docket_Rocket

Ouch! That could hurt. Try pinning it to the front of your shorts instead.

Good idea. You don't want to bleed to death during the marathon.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Cyberic

I would not even lift my shirt from fear of the chip not working. I'm sure it would work in a bag of clothes.

But if you're gonna throw away your top layer anyway, you could cut a rectangular area in it so your bib would be visible to race officials, and if you don't necessarily believe my statement about the chip, well the hole would work for that too.

outoftheblue

Gah.  Maybe I should just carry it in my outstretched hands.

Life is good.

Just toss your throwaway before the start. Problem solved. What are the temps going to be?

Dave

Put bib on pant leg below level of your top.

The sensors may still work even when covered by a layer, but having a visual contact of your bib is helpful as a double check.

I did a race a couple months ago where some of the bibs had trouble surviving the rain.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog