Beginners and Beyond

Man Loses 390 lbs, Running Detroit Half Tomorrow (Read 64 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

http://www.runnersworld.com/general-interest/man-to-run-half-marathon-after-losing-nearly-400-pounds

And people like this man are why I call those "reasons" excuses, as my sisters, cousins, friends and their friends ALWAYS have an excuse not to get healthy (and fit) but they're always complaining.

This guy is awesome and strong, and I hope he enjoys his new healthy life 

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

tracilynn

Good for him. Super cool story!  I wonder how the woman is or what she thinks of this?  They didn't really say? Or I missed it.

~~~~~~~

Traci

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Good for him. Super cool story!  I wonder how the woman is or what she thinks of this?  They didn't really say? Or I missed it.

They didn't say, I hope it brought a tear to her eye knowing she changed someone's life like that  reading the story brought a tear to my eye.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

Brilliant

Wow, did you also read the link to the article at RunKeeper?  He says he lost the first 100 pounds or so in just a few months, by just giving up the fifth of liquor every day!  Then, he started walking, and running, and cycling, etc.  Amazing.

Oh, and it shows pictures of him with Jackie - they've met!

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I hadn't opened that link yet, I will definitely take a look at it.

PRs

Love the Half

You can be amazed at how folks react to what you have done.  Our local paper did a story on me about running 50 miles on my 50th birthday after being an obese chain smoker a few years before.  That was in October, 2012.  At the WV 5K Championships in June, 2013 a guy came up to me after the race and asked me if I was the guy who ran 50 miles on his 50th birthday.  I told him I was and he said that he started running because he read that article and realized that you don't have to be 20 years old and skinny to start.  I was completely floored.

What I accomplished was decent but I wasn't several hundred pounds overweight to start.  What this guy has done is truly amazing.  Hopefully others will see his story and realize you don't have to be 20 and skinny to start.  And yeah, I don't have a whole lot of patience for all of the excuses I hear.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

You can be amazed at how folks react to what you have done.  Our local paper did a story on me about running 50 miles on my 50th birthday after being an obese chain smoker a few years before.  That was in October, 2012.  At the WV 5K Championships in June, 2013 a guy came up to me after the race and asked me if I was the guy who ran 50 miles on his 50th birthday.  I told him I was and he said that he started running because he read that article and realized that you don't have to be 20 years old and skinny to start.  I was completely floored.

What I accomplished was decent but I wasn't several hundred pounds overweight to start.  What this guy has done is truly amazing.  Hopefully others will see his story and realize you don't have to be 20 and skinny to start.  And yeah, I don't have a whole lot of patience for all of the excuses I hear.

That is awesome, I hope his story and it going viral does inspire many.

PRs

Mmmmm...beer

Great story!  It's amazing what you can do with enough time and determination.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Great story!  It's amazing what you can do with enough time and determination.

Oh yes. What I really love is how he expected sympathy from Jackie but instead got tough love and that pushed him to begin his journey, I've always personally preferred tough love over sympathy and coddling. 

PRs