Beginners and Beyond

Should I attempt a PR tomorrow? (Read 74 times)

music_girl117

Hi folks,

I don't post much but I read every day.  I'm doing a 5k tomorrow (Memorial Day), and I'm trying to figure out whether I should aim for a new PR tomorrow.

Points in favor:

1. When I set my last PR (24:33), I felt like I left something out on the course.  I was only aiming for under 25 and no faster.  Obviously I did end up a bit faster, but for the first two miles I still felt surprisingly in control.  I almost felt like I was moving too slowly those miles.

2.  Tomorrow's course is pancake-flat (unlike the course where I set my PR), and the weather looks to be great (also unlike the day I set my PR).

3.  A guy came up to me after my PR race and as we were chatting, he rather helpfully told me that I wasn't running the tangents and he was, and he had been making up ground on me just from that!  So clearly that's something I could work on to save a little time.

Cons:

1.  Oh yeah, did I mention I set my current PR only last weekend?  Maybe it's too soon to race that hard again?

2.  I did a hilly 7-miler yesterday, and though I feel fine today, I wonder if that might have taken it out of me.

3.  As I recall from doing this race last year, it's along a path that goes through a park, so there can be some "traffic jams", and I might get stuck behind slower people which would kill my attempt.

By the way, my mile splits from last weekend's PR were 7:46, 7:51, 7:30, and (pace of)  6:50 for the last 0.2 (yeah my watch said 1:22 for 0.2 miles...I don't know....).  The first mile was downhill and there was a big uphill in the second mile, and rolling hills along the rest.

Thanks for any thoughts!  From my own perspective I'm happy to do whatever.  I don't feel like I *have* to attempt a PR, but if you all think it's in reach, even by like 10-15 seconds, then I wouldn't want to miss the chance.

PRs:

5k - 22:53  (May 2015)

10k - 50:00 (unofficial; part of 20k race, March 2015); 50:33 (official; July 2016)

HM - 1:48:40  (Apr. 2015)

Resident Historian

Go!  Why wouldn't you?  What's to lose?

BTW, the small errors in each point as measured by Garmin can add together, and you can't always run the tangents perfectly.  Normally , on a correct-distance course, the Garmin will show more miles than the official course.  3.2 is a bit more than usual, but... run the tangents well.

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

Go!  Why wouldn't you?  What's to lose?

Agree. Personally I am just wired to always be wanting to run my best time every race. There is no "do I try to PR or not?" Always. Yes. Sometimes it doesn't happen. But for me, there's no not trying.

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

Docket_Rocket

You won't know unless you try.  Go get that PR!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Zelanie

Go for it!  Maybe go out at 7:40 for the first half, then try your best to pick it up from there?

Rondog65

I agree with the above, see how you feel at gun time and if it feels right, give it a go.

Ron's PRs 5K 24:14 (12/07/2013); Half Marathon 1:53:33 (5/26/2013)

Runshortii

Agree. Personally I am just wired to always be wanting to run my best time every race. There is no "do I try to PR or not?" Always. Yes. Sometimes it doesn't happen. But for me, there's no not trying.

This. Go for it! What do you have to lose? And if you don't try to PR and come close you'll be kicking yourself in the butt later for not trying

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

You really have nothing to lose and you might surprise yourself. I would suggest a relatively conservative start until you see how you feel from the 7-miler, maybe a first mile in 7:35 or so.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                        05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

music_girl117

You guys are right, I am totally overthinking this.  I will try for the PR!!  I'll post a report here no matter what happens. Smile

Thanks for the encouragement!

PRs:

5k - 22:53  (May 2015)

10k - 50:00 (unofficial; part of 20k race, March 2015); 50:33 (official; July 2016)

HM - 1:48:40  (Apr. 2015)

delicate flower

Put your foot on the gas and kick it's ass.  BOOYAH!

<3

Just run the best race that you can run, if it ends up being a PR, even better.

Coastal

A flat course and perfect weather conditions?  Go for it. There's nothing to lose.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Yep, I would run by feel - if it feels great, then it's your day for a PR; if not, there will be another day.  Have fun!