Beginners and Beyond

Running without socks (Read 83 times)

LRB

I have been doing strength and core work in my running shoes, sometimes without socks, never really giving it much thought.  Today though, I wondered how it would be to run that way.  My first notion was to dismiss it, but figured I would throw it out there.

Anyone ever try it?  Blister city or that much closer to running free?

RSX

All I can say is ouch. I think that my socks are saving me from worse blisters than I get occasionally.

HobbitLegs

elevenses

I never wore socks with spikes or flats when I ran track and my feet were fine, but always wore socks in trainers. My longest race was the 800, but a lot of the cross country kids went sock-less in their spikes too.

If you want to give it a whirl, I  would see how much there is on the inside of the shoe that could irritate your foot (stitching, glue, that kind of thing). Take them for a spin on a treadmill or around your neighborhood to see if they're going to irritate your feet.

Love the Half

I did it once.  Bad idea.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Walk-Jogger

I tried running up to 8 miles without socks for a few months last year - it totally depends on the shoe. Some shoes are soft and comfortable and no problem, and others have stiff seams or stitches or other issues and will rub your feet raw in places. I now run in very thin light-weight socks, which are pretty close to running sockless. I did notice that running sockless was more comfortable in cool or cold temps since my feet sweat less. I did one indoor 10-mile run sockless and that got painful by the end from my toes and ankles getting rubbed raw, enough so that I had to skip running for the next day or two.

Retired &  Loving It

Philliefan33

If you don't wear socks, all that sweat that gets absorbed by the socks will end up in your shoes.  Stinky shoes!

SheCan

If you don't wear socks, all that sweat that gets absorbed by the socks will end up in your shoes.  Stinky shoes!

+1, that was my first thought.  It'll ruin your shoes quicker.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Tar Heel Mom

kween

I wouldn't do it but I knew a guy 25 years ago or so who never wore socks.

Nolite te bastardes carborundum.

I have been doing strength and core work in my running shoes, sometimes without socks, never really giving it much thought.  Today though, I wondered how it would be to run that way.  My first notion was to dismiss it, but figured I would throw it out there.

Anyone ever try it?  Blister city or that much closer to running free?

Blister metropolis.

Tried it once on the treadmill at the gym when I forgot to bring socks. I will never forget to bring socks again.

Dave

delicate flower

I also once forgot socks for a post-work gym treadmill session, so I wore my dress socks.

<3

MtnBikerChk

running is bad for you

A lot of triathletes skip the socks.  Not me though.  I'm not going to win so I spend the extra 10 seconds to put on the socks!

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

+1, that was my first thought.  It'll ruin your shoes quicker.

I used to run without socks all the time. You get stinky shoes and the inside of the shoes deteriorates quickly. Blisters were never a problem because I bought the shoes sized to run without socks. If you buy your shoes and get a good fit wearing socks, they will be too big when you run without socks, hence more rubbing, friction, and blisters.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Docket_Rocket

I have run without socks sometimes when the socks bunch so much (due to my toe issue) that I say FTS.  I have not run a marathon without socks and I would like to attempt it since the socks bunch so much during one.

I have never had a blister.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page