Beginners and Beyond

Frederick Half Marathon RR (aka my first half and how AWESOME it was) (Read 152 times)

Don't call me Buttercup!

Today was the Frederick Half Marathon.

My goal this morning was to finish "upright and smiling."   My super secret in my heart goal was to finish around 2:39Tight lippedx, because that's what the silly McMillan calculator said, based on my 10 miler from last month.  I didn't think it was possible, really, but it was in the back of my head.

Due to missing 7 weeks of running earlier this year, and having extremely low mileage weeks after that, I decided that I would run all my long runs using a run/walk plan, instead of trying to just run them.  I did the 10 miler last month by doing 2 minutes running/1 minute walking, and I was able to finish just under a 12:00 average pace for the race, which I was thrilled with.    For this HM, my plan was the same.  Run the first mile, then when the crowd thinned out, start doing the 2/1 ratio to get me through the race.

At the last minute, I found out that my friend Erin wanted to run with me.  She's been recovering from (NRR) surgery and has had shin splints lately, so she wasn't sure she could complete the distance, and thought that sticking with me might help.  (It was her first HM, also, though normally she's a faster runner than I am)   I don't normally run with anyone, and I'm not used to talking during a race.   Somehow, though, having Erin there with me pushed me along and made the miles fly.  We started faster than I wanted/expected, but I felt good and strong for the first 6 miles.  It also helped that the course was beautiful and the weather was great.

Mile 1 - 11:46 (all running)

Mile 2 - 12:16 (run walk started here)

Mile 3 - 11:24

Mile 4 - 11:11

Mile 5 - 12: 03 (I think this was where we did extra walking because I was trying to choke down a Gu and wasn't having much luck)

Mile 6 - 11:44

I usually run more consistently than this, so I'm not sure what was with the erratic pacing, but oh well.   Around mile 8, I started getting really freaking tired (2 hours of sleep last night didn't help!), but I felt ok over all.  The crowd support was so wonderful along the course, too - it was amazing.  Especially the guy on a Segway just before mile 8 who had a sign on that said "Official Course Liar" - he was yelling out the funniest stuff (You're on course for a BQ!  You, sir, look great in spandex!), and told this joke - "How do you know the guy you're on a date with is a Tri-athlete? (we yelled "how?")  Because he TELLS you!"   LOL

Mile 8 - 11:51

Mile 9 - 12:04

Mile 10 - 12:18

Mile 11 - 12:43

When we hit mile 12, I couldn't believe it.  Even though we'd been running for over 2 hours, it went by so quickly.  12 was the furthest I'd done in training, so every step at this point was uncharted territory.  Then.  The Hill.   Who the hell designs a HM course that makes people run up a big ole hill 1/2 a mile from the finish line?  I mean, really??   I don't "do" hills, so maybe I'm exaggerating this hill, but holy moly, it was unpleasant.  AND there were photographers!  On the hill!  WTF?!  LOL

Mile 12 - 12:34

Mile 13 - 12:04

The finish line was at the race track, and I was DONE.  We had to run 3/4 of the way around the track, and I told Erin I was tired.  She told me to dig deep.  I told her "I don't have a deep."  I was laughing, but I was so tired.  My watch beeped for a "walk" segment, and she said "Tell your watch to shut up! We're running it in!"   I told her I needed to slow down, and she went on ahead.  I was a little peeved with that, actually, but whatever.  It ended up that I was completely alone crossing the finish line, so at least I know there are pictures of me.  I'm not sure I was smiling, because I was trying not to cry, but I was upright, dammit.

Last .22  (according to Garmin) - 10:22 pace

Finishing time for my first ever HM?  2:37:54

So.  Bleeping. Happy.  

It was a gorgeous course, a beautiful day, and I did better than I could have dreamed.  When I first signed up for this race, I really thought I'd be running it - but even though I ran/walked it, I am so, so happy.

Thanks for reading!

Slow and steady wins the....  wait a second! I've been lied to! 

Hipfan

Proud Calgarian

Nice job, Di! We all knew you'd get that 13.1 miles down and rock it!! Cool

2015 Goals and PRs:

5k - 17:59 (18:05);  10k - 35:59 (36:42);   HM - 1:19:19 (1:19:59);   FM - 2:49:59 (3:05:46)

Hip Redux

You rocked your goal!   Nice work!

Now, when's the next one?  Big grin

Sloooow.

Di, you did wonderful! I'm so glad you met (and surpassed!) your secret goal!

When is the next one? Smile

Hip Redux

Di, you did wonderful! I'm so glad you met (and surpassed!) your secret goal!

When is the next one? Smile

We were posting that question at the same time!  Jinx, owe me a coke. :P

Don't call me Buttercup!

Wha? You want me to do it again?!!  =)    Just kidding.  I am registered for another half in October.  =)

aplodder

Susan

Great report, Di, and a great race!  Congrat's on finishing your first half in style AND under goal!   That's awesome!

Mostly harmless

Congratulations Di! It was a great day to run.  I'm so happy that you achieved all of your goals!

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

Hobby Jogger

Congrats Diana!

And good luck in October Smile

5/4/19 - Twilight Zone 24 Hour

catwhoorg

Labrat

Buttercup got the HM bug bad.

*Future fanatic*

Trust me on this in about 2-3 weeks you could do a sub 2:30. Its all about confidence in covering the distance. You will be smoking fast come the fall.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

SheCan

Congratulations, Di!  You did it!   I'm glad you and Erin did most of the race together and had fun.  You should be really proud of yourself, and I hope you get some great pictures out of the race.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Rondog65

Congrats Di you did it and to have a friend do it with you is twice as nice!! Be proud of what you accomplished and get ready for the next one.

Ron's PRs 5K 24:14 (12/07/2013); Half Marathon 1:53:33 (5/26/2013)

Don't call me Buttercup!

Congratulations Di! It was a great day to run.  I'm so happy that you achieved all of your goals!

Scott!  How did you do? Did you have a good day?

Don't call me Buttercup!

Oh, and thanks, everybody! =)

GinnyinPA

Congratulations Di!  You did great.  You had perfect weather for it.  What was the course like?  Hilly?    I live nearby, and might do it next year.