Beginners and Beyond

5k Race Report: Lots of whine and no cheese (Read 111 times)

SheCan

I think you're phenomenal with your determination and results.  Each race you're learning something new and your 5k average is really super good. Congratulations, and keep striving!

Peace to you too!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Congrats on your 5K!  I got no advice or other comments, you are way too speedy for me to tell you anything.  Joking

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

delicate flower

Still a hell of a good time to us mere mortals.  4 sub-20 5K's this year...I want to be like you when I grow up.  It does suck about all that pre-race crap.  They need to do that before the scheduled race time, not at the scheduled race time.  When I did the Boston 10K a few weeks ago, they lined everyone up 10 minutes early and did the pre-race stuff then.

<3

Hip Redux

LRB do you have someone local who you know can race the 5k at your goal pace?  Someone to mark as a target in your next race?   It really does sound like you would benefit from some competition to focus on, rather than over thinking it.  But I get the whole not wanting to rely on someone else thing.  Competition, however, is a great way to get into the pain cave!

Of course, what the hell do I know!

Docket_Rocket

LRB, I meant to say that I look at my Garmin but I'm not married to it in that I don't care what is spitting out.  Because what is spitting out makes no sense lately (I"m not really as fast as it's telling me I am).

Thanks for switching to that beautiful picture of Rubio!  He is happy. Wink

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

bluerun

Super B****

Looks good to me, but what do I know... running a 5K without a watch worked for me, but then again, the slower you are, the more room you have for error, so to speak.  (Not quite the right phrase, but I think you know what I mean.)  And I'm a lot slower than you.  Joking

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

LRB

I imagine that's probably why everything reverted to a pace consistent with the other races that you've run recently. 

That is a good point.

Thanks Ric, I am channeling my inner Galen Rupp!

I probably should wait a day or so before I pour it all out through the fingertips Cherie!  ; )

That is how it should be done Boon.

O, the hope of this experiment is to race beyond what I am capable of, so my goal pace is only a minimum standard.  I actually expect to cream it...and I will.

Got it D.

You are kicking ass Blue, don't sell yourself short.

Love the Half

BTW, I think it is good to experiment and I have never bought into that "nothing new on race day" nonsense.  Sometimes you need to shake it up and try new things.  It may work and it may not work but you have to try it out and it's not always stuff you can or want to spend time with in training.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

LRB

BTW, I think it is good to experiment and I have never bought into that "nothing new on race day" nonsense.  Sometimes you need to shake it up and try new things.  It may work and it may not work but you have to try it out and it's not always stuff you can or want to spend time with in training.

I was definitely out of my comfort zone but it was well worth it.   The next event I show up to race I will be better prepared as a result of this experience.

I am just hard-headed when it comes to lowering race expectations, something we have discussed in the past.  I need to learn how to adjust them based on that days task.

HobbitLegs

elevenses

Sorry it wasn't your day, but you're still hella fast.

B-Plus

Nice experiment. So do you think the slower time was due to not looking at your watch or for other reasons? I think you can try putting your watch on manual lap, and hit the lap button at each mile marker. Even if you just have the display on total time or even the time of day for the purposes of your experiment, then at least you'll get the lap data for post-mortem analysis. Even if you want to run by feel, I don't think there's any harm in setting the display on total time, and then checking your split time at each mile. I'm pretty sure simple stopwatches were around back in the days when the forum elders were throwing it down.

LRB

Nice experiment. So do you think the slower time was due to not looking at your watch or for other reasons?

Basically, I did not focus for 3.1 miles.  Had I have done that, I would have recognized the drop in pace during the second mile, which is where I lost the most time.

As for recording mile splits and that whole thing, that is kind of secondary in the big picture.  With the mile, I raced my best when I stopped caring about splits.  I think the same is true of the 5k, but I will continue to analyze all aspects of it as I go along.