Beginners and Beyond

CrisRuns' Report on Return to Running, maybe a ray of hope for the currently injured (Read 284 times)

CrisRuns

Report on Return to Running Week 1, Day 1.

Exactly four months have gone by since my hip surgery and here I am, reeling to run again. I have permission to run and a return to running plan in my hands. I am ready.

I last ran on Thanksgiving 2011 and I am more than ready. I have a never used running rain jacket and never used winter running tights and never used running shoes to put on. I proudly and happily put them on. My Garmin is fully charged and barely recognizes me after over a year of hibernation.

It is cold (in the lower thirties), windy, and drizzly. There is no way I am going to be deterred. I am going out and I will run along the lake like the local running gods and goddesses, like I used to do.

So I set out at a brisk walk pace to the lakefront, it's about a mile. Then I start, 30 second running, and four minutes and a half walking. For six times. It's only three minutes of running in total, I know, but it feels like heaven to me. The running segments go by only too fast, but I am happy, and hopeful, and I have a big, big smile. I smile at everyone on the path and beyond.

Then I take a hot shower, and I do a nice yoga stretching routine. Now I am here, reporting to you about it, and hoping, and smiling.

Will this last, will it work out this time? I do not know, but I will enjoy every single second of running, rain, snow, wind, and whatever else.

happylily

The fire never dies within a true Running Goddess like yourself, Cris.:-) The love is always inside of you, no matter how long it's been. What a lovely description of your first run since your hip operation. I felt like I was there with you, on the path bordering the lake. I know how much you've always enjoyed running in that part of Chicago. Congratulations on this long awaited return! Be positive, it WILL last this time!

P.S. Lucky you with all those new clothes to take for testing, now!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Meat Wagon

Puker

This is an awesome post.

Thanks for sharing and good luck!

Feel sick and dirty, more dead than alive.

Purple Toes

This is great news! I hope things continue to go well for you!

racecat

Goddess of the Cuisine

Very glad to read this, Cris. Smile I hope it continues to go well.

In transit, arriving on time. 

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Glad you are back out there again. Welcome back!

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

That's great news!

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

paulski66

miscreant

:smooch:

Good to have you back, Cris!

I'm happy, hope you're happy too...

Very happy for you Cris!

runmomto3boys

Wow, Cris, I didn't know your back story or that you had hip surgery 4 months ago.  Look how far you've come!!!!  I am not going to lie - I got a little teary reading your description of you how ran/walk and how it felt like "heaven" to you.  I so, so hope that things continue on this way.  I can't wait to follow your progress from here on out.  Thanks for sharing your story, Cris, and good luck to you!

CrisRuns

:smooch:

Good to have you back, Cris!

:smooches back: OMG, I AM PREGNANT! Just joking.

Thanks a lot, Lily, your words are always special and mean a lot to me. Thank you, MW, Purple Toes, catty, Gustav, wcrunner, paulski, fuzzy, and runmomto3 boys!

Your support means a lot to me and only running gods and goddesses can understand and share the joy!

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

Welcome back Cris!!

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

happylily

:smooches back: OMG, I AM PREGNANT! Just joking.

Thanks a lot, Lily, your words are always special and mean a lot to me. Thank you, MW, Purple Toes, catty, Gustav, wcrunner, paulski, fuzzy, and runmomto3 boys!

Your support means a lot to me and only running gods and goddesses can understand and share the joy!

LOL...Stay away from runningdadto5kids, Cris! Big grin (btw, is Paulski a grampa, yet? :-))

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

paulski66

miscreant

LOL...Stay away from runningdadto5kids, Cris! Big grin (btw, is Paulski a grampa, yet? :-))

And to think, I used to like you...

I'm happy, hope you're happy too...

Nevrgivup

Congrats on coming back! I'm coming back after injury myself. I cherish all runs now.

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del.