Beginners and Beyond

Sometimes the best race ever is a big fat DNF (FE pics though...and pics of my amazing cheerleader)! (Read 131 times)

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Today, September 2nd, 2013, I ran the NYC Runs Labor Day 10K on Roosevelt Island, NYC. Well kind of.

The race itself? Not much to "report." It was humid and muggy. I was drenched in sweat by the end of a 10 minute warmup. It was almost identical conditions to my 4th of July 10K, also on Roosevelt Island... where I attempted a sub-60, started out fine, and then less halfway through just tanked and ran a very positive split and perfect reverse progression with each mile slower than the last. I didn't expect anything much from the race. I did, however, expect to FINISH. However, I had to accept a DNF. Why?! A FIRE!!!! Arggggggg....... I was about to cross the finish line for the first time (the race is 2 loops around the island) when volunteers came rushing onto the course and told us all to stop. The course runs under the 59th St Bridge/Queensboro Bridge/Ed Koch Bridge/that bridge has like 4 different names, and a car had caught on fire and was burning on the bridge, and for safety reasons they would not let us run under it, and made us stand around and wait for the race to resume for over 15 minutes before finally telling us they were cancelling it. Apparently, the faster people further along the course were diverted and ran a modified second loop around the island for a total of about 5 miles. Only the REALLY fast people who were already completely passed the bridge were able to finish the entire 10K. Bummer.

BUT there were some good things that have nothing to do with running, so I am writing a RR anyway. FIRST there was a FE! I got to meet meaghansketch, who was running, and bluerun who was volunteering. I am standing a football field away from them because the lady taking the picture made a sarcastic remark about us standing too close together, but my brain does not process nuances in tone in the morning, and I thought she was serious and got further away. Lol.

Yay for ANOTHER FE!!! I have now met fourouta5, lilac_jive, DocketRocket, meaghansketch and bluerun all in the last 3 weeks! I'm gonna meet the entire B&B before the year ends at this rate SmileSmile

There was something else special about my race (well....non-race). I wore my I Run 4 Judy shirt:

(Front):

(Back):

Who is Judy, you ask, and why am I running for her??? Well, maybe a month or so ago, a friend told me about a website that matches runners up with children who have special needs. It is an amazing and inspiring organization the I Run For Michael organization, now better known as I Run 4 (www.whoirun4.com). You post back and forth on the organization's facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/groups/irunformichael/) and runners make shirts, signs, videos, post all about their runs and races, ect (a few have even gotten tattoos!) for your running buddy, and the child's parents will in turn share pictures and motivational things with their runners. It is such a wonderful, positive community of runners and families of children with special needs. I know I have seen a few of you fourmites (and several former forumites that don't really post here anymore) over there!!! Well I was randomly matched through the site with Judy, an adorable 14 year old girl diagnosed with Down syndrome. Turns out she is my PERFECT MATCH!!! We both love most of the same things, in particular chocolate ice cream, the color pink, yoga, Disney Princesses, music, and cheerleading (she is a cheerleader who competes nationally in the Special Needs division, I was a cheerleader for 10 years). We have been getting along famously, and it turns out that her family lives in New York State, just an hour or so north of the city, and Judy wanted to come see me run! So her family came to my race today, and I got to meet her!!!!

She didn't care about the DNF, and I cared a whole lot less once I found her and her family!!! We went out for lunch and ice cream after and had the BEST DAY!!!!

Her brother, Matthew, who also is diagnosed with Down syndrome, was a blast too!

What a great day!! A little bummed they didn't let me finish.....but...... meh. There were more important things.

Thanks for reading my non-race report!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

happylily

I love that you make no fuss over not being allowed to finish your race. You got so much more out of this event than just a finish time. Lucky you, and lucky people who got to meet you. Smile Judy is a ray of sunshine, just like you! And her brother seems like quite a fun guy to be with. And that first picture, it shows three great looking runners! So glad you ladies got to meet each others!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

LRB

You are too kind, do you believe in karma?  I do, it is real!

MtnBikerChk

running is bad for you

that is an awesome RR!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

That is an amazing cause, Kristin.  Sorry about the DNF but the FE and meeting Judy were the best parts!

Damaris

Supersono99

I absolutely love that you met your IR4 match! I'm waiting to be matched and I can't wait. Bummer about the fire! Loved your RR.

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

The Judy & family part make it all worth while!  Too cool!

For about the umpteenth time this last couple weeks, I'll say to just consider your time certainly wouldn't have reflected your best even if you had PR'd Because weather everywhere has just plain SUCKED!!  (As I type this the commentator is talking about how Robredo's clothing was literally pouring of sweat when he sat down......at the NY tennis center).  Like I said.....SUCK!

Still, you look great in all your pink and shirt and got to FE + meet Judy & family so still just a great day.  And hopefully you got to shake out the legs a bit after all.

Smile

Randy

Hip Redux

Love it!

There were more important things.

Absolutely  Smile

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

That is the best non-race ever.  That sounds like an amazing day.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Jess runs for bacon

Just awesome Smile

Great story, thanks for sharing!

Dave

PADRunner

A great day at the race.

meaghansketch

I am as frustrated on your behalf as I am for myself!  You weren't missing much not getting to run that modified second loop; running 2+ more miles in that soup constantly asking yourself "I am running why?  I am not going to be timed, shouldn't I just stop?" was not the highlight of my running career, that's for sure.  Still, a lot of positives today, and I am glad that you are able to ignore the negatives and focus on those.  How wonderful to be able to meet your "I Run 4" match and her family, and it's so great that you had so much in common!  Running can sometimes (at least for me) feel like quite a selfish thing, it is wonderful that you are a part of that program and giving back to Judy and her family.  I hope they can come to more of your races in the future.

Plus we got to meet IRL!  Next time let's make it at a race we both finish Wink

aplodder

Susan

What a wonderful RR!

Ric-G

+1000...Smile

That is the best non-race ever.  That sounds like an amazing day.

marathon pr - 3:16