Beginners and Beyond

Weekend of Races Penguins (Read 26 times)

Jill.

Penguin Power!

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Happy Saturday all!  Today is 12/13/14 - how cool is that?  This is my first time starting one of these!  I hope I did it right :-)

I am up and eating my oatmeal before my 15k this morning (though the blerch helped me with carbo loading - and then some!).  I figure I'll leave around 7am since the race starts at 8:30.  I've never raced this distance, but I'm hoping I'll like it =D

Is this Scotty's weekend of crazy double races?

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I am getting ready to head out to the first of my FOUR 5Ks I have scheduled this weekend - 2 on Saturday and 2 on Sunday.  The first one this morning is a "Jingle Bells" 5K...

Temperature is nice....about 58 degrees right now...

Thanks for starting us of sapf.  Good luck with your 15K......I will be doing 20K!  Over 4 races, of course....  

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

PADRunner

Morning all. great job starting it off sapf.

Good luck today sapf and scotty.

My knee has been bothering me a little this week so I opted for 3 on the elliptical today. Heading to the expo later.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good job on the thread start sapf.  Good luck on the 15k.

Scotty, you should be on the cover of Runners World?  Good luck on the 5K's.

Take care of the knee PAD.

Short run today for us. Maybe LR tomorrow when we may get into the 50's.

obiebyke

Have good races, sapf and Scotty!

Today or tomorrow will be my final C25K run. 30 minutes. I'll be on my feet a lot earlier today, so we'll see if I feel like pounding the pavement more when I get home.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Zelanie

Good luck Scotty, sapf, and obie! Smile

Had a really lovely 10 miler last night under the stars.  I'm planning on 4-8 this afternoon.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

2.5 for me and DW.  Thought about delayering when we got home and continuing on for our LR, but I was hungry and I was looking forward to a sardine sandwich.  Might even wear shorts tomorrow.

Have good final c25K run obie.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

I finished in 1:42:26 for an 11:00/mile pace right on the nose.  That meets my "B" goal for this race, which I'm pretty okay with.  My ankle was pretty okay except for stepping a bit weird on a hill before the race (which caused a tinge of pain) and a bit of pain/soreness around mile 7 and onwards.  I'm giving myself 3 more months before I'm hoping to be fully recovered from this ankle nastiness.  That coincides with the NYC 1/2 which I'm pretty excited for.

Zel - I was looking at your log and notice that you run in Ride 6s as well as Kinvara 4s.  What's the main difference between the two?  I currently run in ride 6s and enjoy them but am looking at possibly trying out some more shoes.  I used to run in Brook's ghost 6s but ever since my ankle sprain they feel really awful on my bad foot.  I think that the ghosts have too much of a drop.

Docket_Rocket

Afternoon!  Ran 12 with hubby this morning. Weights later.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

tracilynn

Pad, what's going on with the knee?

sapf- good job on the 15k. Nice time too. I did one 15k up on themountain. Kinda hilly gentle rolling.  I like that distance.

Obie- happy graduation!

scotty- dang!

Morning everyone else!  I'm trying to get out and run 5-7 ish. Supposed to be 56 today and it's only 45°.

~~~~~~~

Traci

tracilynn

Great Deal on arm warmers! Got white for $4something shipped

http://slickdeals.net/f/7505332-asics-arm-warmers-4-29-fs

Gotta hurry

~~~~~~~

Traci

Zelanie

Congrats, sapf!

The Rides have an 8mm drop and more cushion than the Kinvaras. I like the feel of the Kinvaras, but I was having problems with plantar fasciitis that completely went away when I made the rides my "everyday" trainer.

I have noticed that there aren't as many Rides available on clearance as there are Kinvaras, so I am going to have to really stock up when the 7's go on clearance.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens.

Traci: They are gone! I went to get a pair for DW and no luck.

sapf: Good job on your B goal.

Scotty: FOUR races?! Good stuff. Smile

Zel: I hope it wasn't too cold for you last night. I'm guessing it was nice.

PAD: I hope the knee is ok. Good thing you can use the elliptical when you want.

Jerry: I just did a run in the 50s and it was nice. Very nice.

Obie: Good luck on the run.

AFM, 6 easy miles done, 8:27 pace. No race for me this weekend but I do have a HM next Sunday. Now it's shower time and then a trip to Costco.

See ya.

Afternoon Pens!

sapf - You are braver than me. There have been many mornings when I checked in with the group and didn't find the daily post. Still a little shy about getting one started. Plus, I cut my mornings so blasted tight, that there's no way I could do it on my phone and don't have time to sit down and post with more control. Also, CONGRATS on your race!!

Scotty - Holy Moly! Looking forward to hearing all about your races.

PAD - take it easy on your knee.

Jerry and Demaris - I envie the fact you have a built in running partners. Lucky dogs!

Obie -- WOOT! WOOT! That is such a huge accomplishment. I remember being so excited with each C25K milestone: running for one minute straight, 3 minutes, 5 minutes, 1 MILE, 30 minutes. Each one was so exciting, but none so much as actually seeing the whole program to completion. You should be proud of yourself.

Zelanie - your starry run sounds delightful.

Jack - I just figured out what "AFM" means. Sometimes not so swift here.

Traci - equally mild here at 58. Wowzer. I'm headed out the door in a little bit in shorts and short sleeves. What a December treat.

AFM (ha!), I'm headed out the door for a very, very slow 8 miles after I pick up my 5k race packet for tomorrow. The Jingle Bell Run here is held in caves with roads and businesses. It's kinda weird, but pretty cool for winter 5K's. After my run today, I'm picking two of our granddaughters to stay the night. Christmas cookies ahead with my little elves. Doesn't get much better than that,

Kathleen

Kathleen

2015 Goals:

Sub 30 5K

Sub 60 10K