Beginners and Beyond

Absent-minded things you've done while running (Read 111 times)

Just read this & thought it would be a good start to a new thread.

I suppose this may be the wrong time to mention that I have run into a parked car.

Let's hear yours. The more embarrassing, the better. 

Dave

I was running on my regular path in the spring, and many of the trees & shrubbery were getting overgrown across the path at about head level. I kept ducking under them, which was getting kind of annoying. I thought why not run through them, it's just a bunch of leaves. My running-addled brain ignored the somewhat advanced botanical concept that leaves are generally attached to a branch. And my head slammed right into a rather substantial one.  Did not quite knock me down, but sent me staggering a bit. Decided that ducking is not so bad after all.

Dave

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

Um, I've fallen flat on my face during an easy run... I've definitely also run into a branch and got a pretty big cut on my cheek.

I also frequently tie my iPod earphones into knots that take me hours do undo.  And then sometimes I spend the rest of the run frustratedly trying to untie them, giving up, trying again... it's a nervous habit.

<--usually happens when I am running with someone else and only brought my iPod along to keep me company after we part ways, hence I'm not wearing the headphones but rather holding them in my fist.

PRs: 5k 19:25, mile 5:38, HM 1:30:56

Lifting PRs: bench press 125lb, back squat 205 lb, deadlift 245lb

#artbydmcbride

Why are  hydrants right on the sidewalk?  Angry

Runners run

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Hmmm........ I honestly can't think of one at the moment, though I know I have a couple of those damn it.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I thought they were close to the edge of the sidewalk?

Why are  hydrants right on the sidewalk?  Angry

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

RSX

I have tripped a few times on concrete when I wasn't paying attention. That is why I never run trails.

I have definitely missed turns when I was some kind of zone.

Just B.S.

More stupid or silly but its a long list from many years of running

tripped over a pylon during a race aNd almost landed on my face

realized part way thru a run my tights were on inside out

at the finish line of half marathon that was a double loop say to a fellow racer 'thank god that's over" only to realize she still had to go around again

during a a run with my hubby we became separated , when I thought he caught up with me I said " so what do you want for dinner tonight"? Random stranger who wasn't my hubby answered " whatever you are making  sounds good'

Lots and lots more

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

OH OH, forgot to add:

My team practices in Central Park sometimes.  So speedwork happens along several loops.  It's very easy to see the right turnoffs if you have even half a brain... yet somehow when running long tempo or Vo2max intervals, I have twice gotten lost and wound up running the wrong loop and losing the rest of my teammates during the repeat.  Somehow I've done this despite having run those exact loops before, and being SURROUNDED by other runners performing the same workout on the exact same path.

PRs: 5k 19:25, mile 5:38, HM 1:30:56

Lifting PRs: bench press 125lb, back squat 205 lb, deadlift 245lb

Docket_Rocket

Oh, I ran into a car once (parked, corner of the car), and into a road sign.  I saw the sign and everything, but for some reason I measure incorrectly and my shoulder hit it.  Ouch.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Little Blue

Scottydawg, paging Scottydawg.  Please answer the white courtesy phone. Clown

Will run for scenery.

Scottydawg, paging Scottydawg.  Please answer the white courtesy phone. Clown

Not in this thread!  I don't think the internet can handle it!

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

Will run for scenery.

Not quite absent-minded, just kinda dumb....  I woke up bright and early (11:00) had my morning coffee (2+ hours) and went for a hike/run in the mountains.  I felt so good I kept going.  Got up near the summit just before the sun went behind the mountains and it started getting chilly.  And dark.  As I was running back down I realized all I had were my (coke-bottle prescription) sunglasses.  It was really, really, really dark when I got back to my car. Oops.

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

The most common absent-minded thing I do, and on a fairly regular basis, is plan my course for the day, then make a turn I wasn't supposed to because that's the course I ran the day before.

While not precisely absent-minded, I've unintentionally "skateboarded" down a hill running in freezing rain without a skateboard.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Philliefan33

This is not exactly while running, but certainly related.

A couple of times while driving home, I've absent-mindedly used my running route (zig-zagging through residential streets) instead of the more direct route on the busy thoroughfare.  Once DH was with me, and asked "why are you turning here?".  I was too embarrassed to tell him that I thought I was running, so I made up some story about wanting to show him new landscaping on the street.