Beginners and Beyond

The latest craze, the ice bucket challenge (Read 98 times)

Turtle Power

Whoever came up with the idea should've been promoted to CEO.  Anyone here taken it or have plans on taking it, and now will they do it in pro football games after every win or after every score.

Love the Half

Knowing I'll offend some with this, I'll say it anyway.  This is the most narcissistic phenomena in the past decade.  "Look at me!  Look at me!  I'll dump water on my head for a charity."  I am about as far as you can get from a religious person but I find this quote apropos:

“Be careful not to practice your righteousness in front of others to be seen by them.If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.

“So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Narcissistic? Sure. But no more so than most of what people out on Facebook. Are you a better person if you give to charity in secret? Maybe. But this has raised a crapton of money for ALS research, and those benefited by it probably could not care less how many egos it fed. This will certainly give rise to a spate of copycat trends, because it worked.

Dave

happylily

I have no idea what the ice bucket challenge is and I don't think I'm interested in finding out. Is it more social media crap?

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Knowing I'll offend some with this, I'll say it anyway.  This is the most narcissistic phenomena in the past decade.  "Look at me!  Look at me!  I'll dump water on my head for a charity."  I am about as far as you can get from a religious person but I find this quote apropos:

“Be careful not to practice your righteousness in front of others to be seen by them.If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.

2 “So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 3 But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, 4 so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

Lol, my DH would so agree with you... you guys would get along great on this subject.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I have no idea what the ice bucket challenge is and I don't think I'm interested in finding out. Is it more social media crap?

Apparently it is to help raise awareness of ALS, and raise money.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

delicate flower

2 “So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 3 But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, 4 so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

Cool story bro.

<3

LRB

LRB

So my entire post above vanished, with the exception of lily's quote.  I will try it again...

Love the Half

While I'm busy being a curmudgeon, I hate those things people put in the rear windshield: "In memory of..."  It's usually on the back of a beater so if I was dead I'd be thinking, "oh come on, don't tell me you're driving a '79 Plymouth in memory of me."  If I could think anything when I'm dead.  Which I can't.

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

LRB

For whatever reason, this stupid article will not copy and paste, sigh.

Read it here if you are so inclined.

Half Crazy K 2.0

If people want to dump water on their head or donate, I'm fine with it. It is getting a bit ridiculous with individuals or groups trying to outdo each other for most creative way to douse yourself--like getting the firetruck to do it BY THE ELECTRIC WIRES. Darwin award, anyone?

I thought the college live mascots are cute, although the NIU husky seemed way too happy to get a wading pool of ice.

I've seen some Facebook backlash--people posting not to donate to ALS because they use embryonic stem cells in their research. That's a whole 'nother debate.

onemile

So instead of donating so that others will be impressed, we should donate so that God will reward us later. Got it.

Love the Half

You should donate and not tell anyone you donated.

No one has ever explicitly said, "I'm donating and making a big deal out of donating because I want people to think I'm a terrific person."  Everyone says, "I'm donating and making a big deal out of donating because I want to 'raise awareness.'"  I'm sure that same excuse was used 2,000 years ago.  Again, just to be clear, I am atheistic.  I do not believe in the existence of any higher being.  I still think the 2,000 year old observation is exceedingly insightful about the real motivations for most who make much of what they do.  One quick story.

My father is a retired minister.  One time, someone anonymously donated a full set of handbells to the church.  That is not a cheap donation.  Everyone knew who made the donation.  Everyone was wrong.  I was one of the very few people who knew who the real donor was and even I didn't know until years later.  Don't get me wrong.  It wasn't some old lady who had saved her dimes over the years but it was someone who was typically quiet, didn't assume leadership roles, and was mostly just part of the background.  That, to me, is significantly more admirable than coming up with creative ways to dump ice on  yourself.

RSX

I think that the ice bucket challenge is fun to watch (people I know anyway as opposed to celebrities) except for the woman who dumped it on her dog. My step daughters did it, and they were hilarious. I think it will die down here soon as we move into colder temps.

Anyone who really wants to donate anonymously without fanfare leave it off your taxes. I don't really care who donates the most or least $. I'm more impressed by folks who volunteer.