Beginners and Beyond

A Penguin Brownie Monday (Read 21 times)

PADRunner

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

National Brownie Day!

PADRunner

RD for me today. On weather watch for Sunday. How do you race in a thunderstorm!

on my way to badass

Good Monday Penguins! Thanks for starting us off PAD. I have no idea about racing in a thunderstorm.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

obiebyke

Oooo, PAD! Too bad it's dangerous, because it sounds kinda fun.

28 minutes on tap for later.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Pilates and 7 miles tonight.

I don't like brownies but that brownie looks penguilicious.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  Well, our chorus gig on Saturday was quite nice -- we had a good sound and got a lot of compliments, so that's always good.  I thought we had a lot of synch issues, but if the audience doesn't hear it, it doesn't matter!  Sunday's gig was a little off -- it was outdoors, and the weather was 40 and windy as heck.  And we got positioned near the fire pit, which means we were inhaling smoke with every breath, which is really not great for singing.  So I'm glad that one's over, but I'm not going to turn up my nose at the $150 we earned.  Tonight's gig is for a retirement home, and the quartet is only singing three songs.  The chorus (not my chorus) is doing a full show, so I'll get to be an audience member for a change, which is always fun.  Woo-hoo!!  Christmas shopping is proceeding, I'm maybe half done now.

PAD -- woo-hoo for cute penguin brownies!!  Have to say, I won't usually go out of my way for brownie consumption.  They're just not chocolatey enough for me.

Stone -- good morning!!

Obie -- have a good 28 minutes!!

Docket -- enjoy your Pilates and 7!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

SRD!

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Morning all!  4 is on the schedule for today.  Oh my it is so cold out there.  I'll suck it up and run outside today.  Tomorrow the forecast is for heavy rain and high winds - I might finally have to give in and learn to love the treadmill. (where love = tolerate)

PAD - good luck with thunderstorm racing!  A lot can change in a week though.

SF - how's the treadmill?

Obie - enjoy your 28 minutes

DR - I don't know how you can't like brownies.... mmmm :-)

HsM - I'm glad you survived the firepit

Jack - enjoy the RD

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

GinnyinPA

PAD - hopefully the thunderstorms will hit in the afternoon, not in the morning during your race.  I love brownies, but rarely get to eat them any more.

obiebyke -  good luck on your 28 continuous.  Week 7 or 8?

D - have a good run this evening.

HM - singing in the smoke would not be fun.  I hate running on winter afternoons when everyone has fires in their fireplaces.  Enjoy tonight's concert.

Jack - enjoy your rest day.

sapf - I'm in the same boat:  cold and gray outside, but the next two days are going to be worse.

I'll do a couple of recovery miles later.  As much as I hurt last night, today I seem to be fine.  Fortunately, my body seems to recover pretty quickly, though it worries me that I hurt that much after 16 miles.  What will my body do at 20?

obiebyke

Week 8, the final week. I'm doing an app instead of the traditional C25K, so it's one week shorter. So close!

I hope your recovery miles are pain free.

obiebyke -  good luck on your 28 continuous.  Week 7 or 8?

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

tracilynn

Hi penguins

no running for me today but I will do my Anatomy for runners exercises plus lunges and squats and planks ...later .

Pad, they may cancel if there's lightening.

I don't like running when people are burning leaves and it's smoky. BLAH.

I love brownies. I'm on a cherry poptart kick right now. Bad bad.

~~~~~~~

Traci

Howdy Penguins!

Keeping the streak alive with a single mile for me this morning. Saturday I did 5 miles in the evening and then followed it with an early 8 on Sunday. The Holiday Streak miles are my rest days...mostly. When I get home from work tonight, I do have my lower body strength workout with DH.

PAD - National Brownie day? Where do these days come from. Not complaining, just giggling.

Stone - if it weren't for the lightening and if it were a summer thunderstorm, sounds like it would be fun. At least it would make for a good story -- but only without lightening

Obie- have a fun 28! I started with the C25K program and LOVED it!!

DR - brownies are one of the few chocolate things I like, for the very reason you don't like them. I'm not a big chocolate fan. I know, I know, down-right unwomanly of me.

HsM - one of these days you'll have to attach a music file so we can enjoy. I bet your choir is lovely.

Sapf - I don't have a TM, so am really wondering how I will manage to keep the streak going on really horrible, weather days.

Jack - Enjoy!

Ginny - 20???? I can't imagine. Way to go!

Traci -  I've got my Upper/Lower body strength workouts in my running plan but am curious about your Anatomy for Runners workout. Hmmm...I'll have to google it.

Have a great day everyone!

Kathleen

2015 Goals:

Sub 30 5K

Sub 60 10K

hog4life

Hey everyone, RD for me. Trail running is more fun than road running!

Tracy, you should come run Monte Sano with me some weekend.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Back to work today after two complete work-weeks off...wow, did I have a lot of 'catch-up' waiting for me!  Made for a very busy morning and into the afternoon a bit, just now getting to my lunch!  Today is a non-running day for me.  We are still having some pretty decent weather, will be around 63 degrees today and I can see outside one of our office windows the sun is shining brightly and the sky is nice and blue and cloudless.   Got a nice surprise too, one of the local area race company folks called me after he saw me at my 5K last weekend  and then read my report and saw the photos.  He is comping my entry into the St. Jude's Jingle Bell 5K this weekend for me to do a report and photos on that one,  sweet!

And this is for you, PAD, along the line of today's theme....

Brownies of Club Penguin...

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Race in a thunderstorm?  What you do, PAD, is find the TALLEST person at the race that towers over you and stick close to him/her...your own personal lightning rod, just in case....

Good luck with the 28 minutes, obiebyke....and don't fall off the tap...

Good luck with the 7 miles, Damaris.  WHAT?!! Don't like brownies!  Wow,  there is finally a food you don't like that I do like...

HsM, I don't think most people in the audience would be 'attuned" to the sync thing as the chorus folks are, so they probably would not even notice at all if you did miss something like that, probably would only notice if you were singing WAAAY off key.   Sorry about the smokey conditions for that one gig but, hey, $150.....nice!

Happy SRD, Jack!  Also, I was looking at various 'rankings" for things and you might be glad to know that for 2014 Illinois has now replaced California as the Worst Managed State in the Union, per Huffington Post:  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/12/06/worst-run-states_n_6281586.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular

Oh my it is so cold out there. OK, I will bite...how cold is it, sapf?

Ginny, at least you can run 16 miles.   I'm TOAST when I get to just a little over 6 miles.  Stupid spinal arthritis!   What will your body do after 20? Umm....

OK, let's hope not....but Wile E. Coyote does recover pretty quickly from these things...and I bet you will too.

Anatomy for Runners?  Is that like....the running socks connect to the foot-bones...the calf sleeves connect to the shin-bones...the running shorts connect to the hip-bones...the running singlet connects to the chest-and-back-bones...and then you go out and do the running hokey-pokey!   Hope your exercises go well, Traci!

Way to keep the streak alive, Kathleen!

Trail running is more fun than road running!  I dunno, Mitch, I kinda like them both for different reasons.  I find them about even in fun for me.  Of course, I DO tend to have 'adventures', no matter what terrain I'm on, so there is that, lol.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt