Beginners and Beyond

First of 3 weeekend 5Ks: Sights and Sounds of Christmas 5K (Read 28 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

SHORT VERSION REPORT

My 70th race of 2013, and the first of three 5Ks I did this weekend.  Held on Saturday, Dec 7, 2013 in San Marcos, Texas, about a 40 minute drive from San Antonio. Weather at  9 a.m. start time was 29 degrees with a 'feels like' temp of about 19.  That is COLD for we South Texans.   I was wearing my orange shirt with 3 layers underneath, lol.   This race is associated with the "Sights and Sounds of Christmas Festival -http://www.sights-n-sounds.org/ - held in San Marcos each year.  We started and finished near the festival grounds.  240 participants - probably some stayed home because of the weather - 106 male and 134 female, proving the ladies are generally more hard-core than the men for coming out into the cold. Wink  There were lots in my age group (55-59) so I didn't even come close to placing, and did not expect too anyway, as slow as I am.  But even with my photo stops, I did manage to finish in 32:49, surprising myself; I had guessed about 34 to 36 minutes for me for this one.

LONG VERSION REPORT WITH PHOTOS

Before The Race

I parked in City Park of San Marcos and then to get to the start/finish area, I walked through the park and took a few photos in there..

photo sights066_zpsda032406.jpg

photo sights065_zps172eced6.jpg

On the festival grounds near the start/finish area

photo sights025_zpsc0773d0f.jpg

photo sights063_zps4f79645c.jpg

Santa Claus was there

photo sights010_zpsf12fb5a3.jpg

And so was the Chik-Fil-A Cow

photo sights002_zpse606f2cc.jpg

Yours truly, with Santa and Chik-Fil-A Cow

photo sights004_zps30fb9fb3.jpg

photo sights006_zpsd0ba87fe.jpg

"Speedy", the mascot of Speedy Cash

photo sights017_zpsff3bb557.jpg

Participants, volunteers, supporters, pre-race

photo sights011_zpsfd891dae.jpg

This guy is wearing the tech-tee participants got in the goody bag

photo sights012_zps96f03468.jpg

photo sights013_zps69e53f2a.jpg

photo sights014_zpsd008b9e1.jpg

photo sights015_zps352c090e.jpg

photo sights016_zps7c157954.jpg

photo sights018_zpse7f37eed.jpg

photo sights019_zpsd8d7322f.jpg

photo sights020_zps6afa67ac.jpg

photo sights021_zps6c0a75f7.jpg

photo sights023_zps37d0289c.jpg

photo sights024_zpscad8dcb3.jpg

photo sights026_zpsbc272bf0.jpg

photo sights027_zps3162a62f.jpg

On The Course

I put my jacket aside and lined up, and off we went.  The course was a loop course took us through parts of historic San Marcos.  Mainly flat with a couple of slight upgrades and a downhill grade just before the finish.  It was cold, but at least we were moving.  I felt sorry for the volunteers along the course who had to just stand in their spots...BRRR!    Going out, hardly any wind at all.  Going back toward the finish, we had the wind in our face for a  bit.  For most of the race, I was right with that dog at the back in the first photo.

photo sights028_zps2b0e83dc.jpg

photo sights029_zps89c56b72.jpg

photo sights030_zpsc4434891.jpg

photo sights031_zpsd77bdd33.jpg

photo sights032_zps440bb071.jpg

photo sights033_zps735c7451.jpg

photo sights034_zps68ad6299.jpg

photo sights035_zpsbfcf22d4.jpg

photo sights036_zps299036ea.jpg

photo sights037_zps027c3e9b.jpg

Some huge houses along this part of the course, like this one

photo sights038_zps3052b352.jpg

photo sights039_zpsb7a08359.jpg

photo sights040_zps1d59c8e8.jpg

photo sights041_zps4f95f0b3.jpg

After The Race

Santa and Mrs. Claus were at the finish cheering everyone in

photo sights045_zps90dd91da.jpg

Happy Finishers, etc.

photo sights042_zps0b6fe2f2.jpg

photo sights043_zpsc69bb6dd.jpg

photo sights044_zps72969e73.jpg

photo sights046_zpsea84c558.jpg

photo sights047_zpsae6ebaa6.jpg

photo sights048_zps2e80e200.jpg

photo sights049_zps71a21773.jpg

photo sights050_zps39166ff5.jpg

photo sights051_zps9adac367.jpg

photo sights052_zps6dc251c9.jpg

photo sights053_zps9021cffe.jpg

photo sights054_zps798673b6.jpg

photo sights055_zpsc18d513f.jpg

photo sights056_zps9f7ab5ac.jpg

My 'running buddy" on the course, with his humans

photo sights057_zps23e3fa2f.jpg

A runner friend of mine, in line post-race to get the free chicken biscuits from Chik-Fil-A

photo sights060_zpsa44eb591.jpg

Speedy Cash folks....they gave out goody bags to all the participants too

photo sights061_zps975b7e7f.jpg

photo sights062_zps76e27dd6.jpg

EPILOG

I think this race has been done 5 times and I have done 3 of the 5.  It as a very fun event - even it it was cold this year - with a free pass to the festival in the goody bag, a nice shirt, a nice course, and lots of friendly volunteers and participants. Kudos to Central Texas Medical Center, the presenting sponsor, for a great event.  AhtleteGuild did their usual great job of course setup and timing.   And Jill, the race director, did a great job too, from what I saw everything went great.   I missed out getting a photo with Jill on Race Day, probably because she was very busy, so I never saw her.   But I did get to meet her at packet pick-up when I went to get my packet and ended up helping out for an hour or so, as they were short-handed right then.  Very nice lady - and very pretty too Big grin - one of the nicest people you could meet.  Hopefully I can get a photo with her next year, as this race will definitely stay on  my race calendar.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

Everybody looks so cold;  it's great that they had so many participants.

Antipodean

Yay, Scotty, another one done and dusted. Good on you for doing it in any kind of weather. Is this year going to be any kind of record for you in terms of races done or anything?

Julie

"It's not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves."

~ Sir Edmund Hillary

scrapnjill

LOVED having you be a part of our race!!!!!  Thanks for the dedication to taking great photos of our course, race, and fabulous runners!  It's runners like you that make me continue to do what I do.  Otherwise, I'd just be insane!!! Happy Holidays Scott!  I posted the blog link on our Angel Drops facebook page.  Very much appreciate the work you do.  Jill

Pinktastic

Nice job, Scotty!   Loved your RR, especially all the great pics!

But The Smile That I Sent Out Returned With You.

hog4life

Congrats Scotty! Looks really cold for south Texas.

LRB

photo sights006_zpsd0ba87fe.jpg

At first glance, I thought that was you dressed as Santa in the pic before this one!

SheCan

What a cold race!  But still lots of smiles.  And now we know that you do own long running pants.  Congratulations on the first of your busy race weekend!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Looking good Scotty.  Nice finish time.  I think you are now officially ready for an Indiana race.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Zelanie

Looks like a fun and festive time.  The weather was just helping you get into the holiday spirit, right?

Isn't San Marcos the same town that has the dreaded "clock tower view" race?  Glad this one looked more scenic!