Beginners and Beyond

Kinvaras suitable for half marathon & training? (Read 98 times)

Antipodean

I have been wearing Saucony Kinvara 3s for a couple of months now and I love them! It seems the 4mm drop really suits me. I had always been in more traditional shoes before (Brooks glycerin for a while) and had a few niggles, which miraculously disappeared when I changed to the kinvaras. Now I'm triaing for my first half marathon (Sept 29) and I need a new pair of shoes. I want to buy some Kinvara 4s, which my LRS have a sale on right now. But the other day a guy from my running club recommended I get a less minimalist pair of shoes to run long runs and the half in, but I feel fine in my kinvaras. I have done a long run of just under 10 miles in them already. Any recommendations/experiences to share?

I have only ever had one pair of running shoes at a time, but now that I'm running 5 days a week I feel justified in getting a second pair. My husband just doesn't get why one pair doesn't last me for years... sigh. He'll just have to deal with it.

Julie

"It's not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves."

~ Sir Edmund Hillary

Mmmmm...beer

I've gone 2.5 hours in my Kinvara 3s and felt great (18 miles).  Also ran my PR half in a pair of Kinvara 2s with no issues.  I was rotating Kinvaras and Cortanas for training, but my Cortanas are toast and I haven't replaced them yet, so I'm doing all of my training in Kinvaras now.  So I say if they're not giving you any problems so far up to 10 miles, keep going and see how they work out for you.  Smile

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Mmmmm...beer

Double post, need more coffee. Smile

-Dave

My running blog

Antipodean

Enjoy that coffeee and thanks for the advice. I think I'll be fine in the Kinvaras. I forgot to say I transitioned very easily to them. I just need some reassurance and to see that others do this.

My runner friend from the club has run many HMs before and acts like I should believe and follow his every word. Roll eyes

Julie

~ Sir Edmund Hillary

Docket_Rocket

I have done up to 12 miles in them so I would think that they are good for HM distance.  And I am slow so 2 hours of running in training it's good.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Zelanie

They are my main training shoe, and I ran several LRs and my half in them.  I did some research before I bought them, and apparently they have more heel cushioning than a lot of truly minimalist shoes do.  The reviews I read were targeted towards marathoners and recommended them even for the full.

Mmmmm...beer

Enjoy that coffeee and thanks for the advice. I think I'll be fine in the Kinvaras. I forgot to say I transitioned very easily to them. I just need some reassurance and to see that others do this.

My runner friend from the club has run many HMs before and acts like I should believe and follow his every word. Roll eyes

I also found it very easy to transition from 12mm drop shoes to the Kinvaras.  Actually I transitioned to the Cortanas first, but they're also 4mm drop (as are my racing shoes).  I want to try the Virratas next and see how a zero drop shoe feels, probably not much different, since I'm a pretty solid mid/forefoot striker.

I always welcome advice from more experienced runners, but I also make sure to keep in mind that we're all different and what works for one person might not necessarily work for everyone.  Altho, I've also found that just because a person has run a lot of races, doesn't always make them knowledgable.  I was talking with a guy on my last business trip who has run four marathons, and I could tell just from a few minutes of talking about running that he didn't really know much about how to train properly (blowing up at mile 16 in all four marathons is probably a pretty good indicator of poor training, imo).

-Dave

My running blog

Birdwell

I've been using kinvara's for a while now. Just looking through my log, I've used them for runs up to 3 hours or so, and have felt I could go much longer in them as well.

I like them a lot, I call them my "fast" shoes.

I have noticed a few minor durability issues with them, but that could just be me. I just picked up a pair of the 3's on clearance in the black/slime color combo and they are the most hideously awesome shoes I've ever owned. They look like rainbow trout scales when the sun hits them, it's fantastic.

Tell you husband to get over it, and he should be happy you're not rotating 3 or 4 pairs.. (I have been in trouble lately because my wife is realizing I have more shoes than her)

Runny_babbit

hop, hop, hop...

I've done a marathon and two ultras in Kinvara 3s. If they work for you and feel good there's no reason not to use them for longer runs.

MM #8764 / HF #6535 / Double Agent #668

PRs: 5K - 27:43, 10K - 57:14, HM - 2:06:18, FM - 5:22:42

~How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were supposed to be?~

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Just wondering how the low heel drop works for heel strikers????

delicate flower

Is it naive of me to say "Just use what's comfortable"?  I realize there are shoes for this purpose and that purpose, shoes for this distance and that distance, shoes for this race and that race, but I use the same pair of shoes for all of my running (New Balance 1400).  They are a light racing flat.  I've raced in them from 5K to marathon, and I use them for all of my training runs.  I do that because they are comfortable.  I figure I'll just stick with what works. 

<3

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

The way I see it, I'm looking for a marathon shoe that will give me a racing benefit. When it comes to a training shoe, the desire is minimally for the shoe to serve a training purpose, but mostly for it to keep me healthy. So, it's unlikely that my training shoe and racing shoe would be the same, because I'm looking for different benefits. If a Kinvara works for you as a training shoe, I'd actually argue that you'd want to race in less of a shoe. After all, you'll be on your feet less time in a race than you would on a long run, right? Also, as you train more, your training runs will have different purposes so having multiple shoes/shoe types to train in will be helpful.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

Antipodean

Thanks for all the advice, everyone. It's great to hear from runners who use/have used Kinvaras. I think I will go with another pair.

Just wondering how the low heel drop works for heel strikers????

I'm not a heel striker, but from what I understand the low heel drop encourages heel strikers to move to mid or fore foot. I wonder if there are any examples among us?

Julie

~ Sir Edmund Hillary

Docket_Rocket

What about the 4s?  If the price difference is not much, the 4s are pretty much the same but the upper mesh is much better.

Thanks for all the advice, everyone. It's great to hear from runners who use/have used Kinvaras. I think I will go with another pair.

I'm not a heel striker, but from what I understand the low heel drop encourages heel strikers to move to mid or fore foot. I wonder if there are any examples among us?

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Antipodean

I'm going to get some 4's. The only problem I've had in my 3's is blisters on the second & third toes of my left foot. Maybe the mesh means the toe box is slightly bigger. Anyway, I'm prepared to use duct tape on long runs to solve the blister problems and enjoy the bliss that is Kinvara!

Julie

~ Sir Edmund Hillary