Beginners and Beyond

Running and Stress (Read 248 times)

Chairman

A running related topic for a change, because looking at the front page, I haven't found many.

I came across this blog entry from a fairly well known distance running coach. In a nutshell, the author suggests that excessive emotional stress, like excessive running stress, can cause a runner to break down and fail to make adaptations to training.

Looking at the anecdotal evidence provided by my own running history, this make sense to me. I have struggled in times of high stress caused school, work, and other such stress inducers. I would also say that I run better under a similar training load when I get a break from my typical daily routine and am able to relax and take my mind off everything.

Has anyone else made any observations regarding how emotional stress affects their training?

Coalition for a Free and Independent New Jersey

LRB

I'm at work, I'll read that later, but I am not really an emotional person perse so the stresses I deal with; bills, relationship crap, problems at work or home etc. are more in my head.  Or to put it another way, they affect my thoughts more than my feelings.

For me, running provides a means to organize or discard things that are hanging over my head.  So the more problems I have when I begin a run, strangely, the better that run will likely be, or the clearer my head will be : : most times : : after it.

Or, if I am not going through problems at the time of a run, I run free and get great ideas for projects at home or work or other things I may be involved in.

Good topic.

Docket_Rocket

Yes.  In times of high work or personal stress, my training can go either way.  Sometimes a hard day in Court or a bad day at the office translates into an excellent interval session, while other bad days (personal or professional) make the run go horribly run.

I've also found that when I am stressed about my asthma, my training and races go a certain way.  For example, if on marathon week I'm coughing from asthma and I stress too much about that, the race usually gives me an asthma attack.  Other times, if I don't let that stress worry me too much, the marathon goes well.  Same goes with training.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

It makes sense that if there are physiological adaptations to stress, the reactions may impede or at least alter the way that the body adapts to purely running stressors. In addition to just pure energy conservation, this is probably part of the reason that top runners just run for a living and don't work traditional jobs. Further, they often train for weeks at a time at running retreats where it's very clear that outside influences are intentionally minimized.

As for how this relates to all of our amateur running, it's kinda hard to say. I wouldn't argue that we likely have more external stressors than athletes in training, but I would say that we all likely aren't as adroit at pushing the buttons necessary to create the desired internal bodily changes as a coach managing an athlete's training. Therefore, it's hard to say whether our training suffers more from stress or from inadequate and inappropriately applied training loads.

Just in my own training, I do see a difference in how I perform in a workout based on how much stress I have about the workout going in. To really relate that feeling to the article, I'd need to be able to know how well the adaptions created by the workout took hold. Unfortunately, because I don't have professional training in running, I don't know enough to make that determination.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

I guess I am strange. I typically dont stress about anything. If I cant control it, I dont worry about it. There is a whole lot in life I cant control and I dont pay much attention to that stuff.

I kinda wish I was that Peter from office space - "It's not that I'm lazy; it's that I just don't care." I do attempt to take this attitude with many things.

I also run before work or family has a chance to ruin my day.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

racecat

Goddess of the Cuisine

It's physically difficult for me to run when I'm overly stressed. It never goes well at all and it's usually worse than normal.

In transit, arriving on time. 

meaghansketch

I definitely find this to be true for myself, although the kinds of stress, to me, seem to have an effect.  I find that short bursts of high stress don't have an adverse effect, but long periods of higher-than-normal diffuse life stress definitely seem to.  It doesn't seem to be just because I don't have as much time to devote to running when my life is stressful.

This past spring/ summer I was going through an extremely stressful time with a major relationship and living situation change, and though I had enough time to run, I was pretty much stressed all the time and (to my mind at least) not progressing very much in my running.  Now, though my life is more time-crunched than ever, I am seeing a decent amount of progress, and since October have set big PRs at the 5-mile, 15K, and HM distances.

(I know some here discredit the ideas/methods of Maffetone; his book deals a lot with this subject and, like Magness' blog post,  also suggests that all stress is stress and that an overload can cause you to stop adapting to training, and suggests that if you're going through a stressful period of your life you may be better off cutting back on your training)

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

I wonder what the direct connections and effects are.  For me, stress makes me sleep poorly, and I think that is hard on my running.  But generally running is a relief from stress, for me, and I don't relax well unless I get to run.

MrNamtor

Definitely true. I had a few situations of extreme stress in the past 2 years and in all times i felt a lot weaker in my running.

Misty

I'm pretty even keeled and don't tend to carry much stress. I don't worry about things I can't control (which is most things). I don't find that my emotions/stress affects my running much at all.

Misty

Bless your heart.

runmomto3boys

That's interesting.  I don't think I've been running long enough to have much input, but I can see how there might be a correlation.

Sloooow.

Stress and negative emotion positively effects my running. I have an extremely low stress threshold and I have a very hard time translating emotional stress, especially guilt and sadness. Example, on Tuesday we found all our chickens massacred by a raccoon, and scheduled a surgery for next month. That night, I had one of my fastest and easiest runs. Probably not the best idea to sacrifice chickens before every race to find that place in my mind though, lol.

It depends. When it negatively affects either my sleep or my appetite, my running suffers.

But my eating rarely suffers. I'm predisposed to eating. I'm sad; I eat. I'm angry; I eat. I'm happy; I eat. Gah.

Love the Half

This ties in nicely with an article I read today about how much presidents age while in office.  In one of the iconic photos of Lincoln taken late in his term, he looks 75.  He's 56.  He is not the striking lawyer that left Springfield, Illinois.  It all has to do with the fact that they are under extreme stress constantly which causes their bodies to produce a lot of stress hormones.  The only treatment is exercise.  Still, it is beyond question that emotional stress has physiological impacts so it should be beyond question that a high level of emotional stress has a negative impact on your training.  I don't see how it could be otherwise.

Here's a link to that article.

Why Presidents Age

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).